GO!

Questions on feeding bones

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Sep 15, '11 1:19pm PST 
How often should I feed bones to clean Pookie's teeth? Is it okay to just give him a chicken wingette, or do I need to also give meat/canned with it to balance the bone?

I caved and bought a pinkie and a fuzzy to see if he'll eat them (cross your paws!). He'll get the pinky tonight, and if he eats it, he gets the fuzzy tomorrow. Assuming he actually eats them, I may start giving him a mouse to clean his teeth, but don't know how often I should give it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 3:48am PST 
Hi Pookie! Well, the bone will be balanced out in the overall diet (assuming you are sticking to the required 10% of the diet), so you can just give him the rmb by itself. It has enough meat on it to help "cushion" the bone. The same goes for drumsticks, ribs, etc.

Don't give up if he won't eat the pinkie, still try the fuzzy. None of mine eat mice, but Chaucer eats quail chicks. If his "chickies" are too small he won't eat them, he'll only play with them until they explode eek or get lost.

I don't know if eating mice would count as a "cleaning teeth" sort of meal, considering that their bones are very small. Don't forget that you can also feed gizzards for teeth cleaning purposes.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 11:18am PST 
Thanks, Shade! It took some encouragement, but he did eat the pinkie. So tonight we'll try the fuzzy and if he'll eat that, then I may get the actual mice. To your point, though, I don't know if they would do a decent job of cleaning his teeth. confused

I do give him gizzards a couple of times a week but it looks like he has gingivitis so I'm assuming the gizzards aren't enough. Plus, I don't see him use that side of his mouth when he eats them. I started brushing his teeth but don't like the ingredients in what I'm using, or anything else I've seen in the specialty store. So I was hoping rmb would help.
[notify]