GO!

Diet disruption from introducing new cat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 4:18am PST 
Hi everyfur!

So, as some of you may know, we were adopted by a new cat the day aftter hurricane Irene blew through our area. He's another male (makes 4 of them) who was emaciated, infested with fleas, had/has large areas of missing hair, etc.

He's coming along really well on a partly raw, partly grain free canned diet. Both my DH and I can tell that he is filling in because his hip bones are not so prominent and his coat is starting to feel softer.

Typical, however, to the situation of adding a new cat to the household, every cat is at least somewhat ill at ease. This is translating into some unbalanced diets for the boys as they don't always eat, or they'll pick out a few pieces, etc. We're especially getting bad with the bone meals as no one seems to want to be bothered chewing apart bones, except for small ribs, and there are just some many ribs in a rabbit or game hen! smile

The guys all get feed canned in the a.m. and then they get a raw meal around 3:30 and another around 9:00 p.m. Do you think that it is ok just to muddle along this way for a while, or do you guys think that I should start worrying about calcium in their diet? I do have some h-t ground raw/bones/organs, but, of course, no one seems to want to eat it; too bad it would be the perfect solution.

Purrs,
Shade (don't even expect me to eat a chicken neck!)
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 5:43am PST 
Well Shade, of course I was going to suggest a chicken neck! What I do here when BK is giving me a hard time about bone meals (which is really every day) is refuse to give him a muscle meat meal until he eats his bone. Of course I feel like the Wicked Witch, but it's really the only way for us. My feeling is that it won't kill him to miss a meal if that's what it takes.

This approach might not work for you. Have you tried feeding everyone in different spots? Or one at a time? Bottom line, I think a week or two unbalanced is fine, but I wouldn't go much longer. Plus you're going to have some awfully soft poops after a few days of no bone.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 7:25am PST 
Well, we're still good on the poops, haven't seen any soft ones.

It's not so much the nobody will ever touch an rmb now, so much as it's that one will eat all, someone else will eat 1 bite and yet another will eat none and then they switch it all around the next time so that I can't keep it straight!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 4:18pm PST 
Hi Shade!!! I don't know much about that stuff, BK is the best as you know. But I just want to say concats on your new addition to the family. Does he have a page yet? Please let us know and we'll send a friend request. Big purrs and hugs to you and your family for taking this poor sweetie in! big grin
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Sep 12, '11 4:23pm PST 
Oh, well if they're taking TURNS being unbalanced, you're fine. laugh out loud I wouldn't worry.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue Sep 13, '11 3:45am PST 
My whole house is unbalanced now!laugh out loud

I came home from doing my swim workout last night to my hubby telling me that Blackberry had thrown up a huge amount of beef heart; he said the pile was almost half the size of the whole cat! The poor guy was starving so I had to bring him into a bedroom to give him a small can of Instinct rabbit which, of course, every other cat noticed, so they were all waiting outside the door for their share (which they didn't get and which did not make them happy).

I've been kind of worried that Smudgie is getting a bit overweight and now I have Mr. Skinny to feed extra too, making cutting Smudge back difficult. Except for the fact that I think part of the reason Smudge is a bit larger than maybe he should be is that he always finished everyone else's leftovers and now Blackberry has taken on that job, so maybe Smudge's waistline has some hope.

And, OT to raw feeding, Shade is getting worse about beating Blackberry on his head, he is actually seeking him out to do it now. If I pay any attention to BB and Shade sees it, then BB is doomed. I guess it's "That's my Mommy" wars. On the bright side, I am pretty convinced that there are no unsheathed claws, otherwise BB would have some marks and he doesn't.

So sorry for rambling...I've got no one else to "talk" cat with, at least no one who would have any clue!

Oh, and hi Alex! wave Yes, Blackberry has a page of his own, you can get to it through Shade's.

Thanks!

Shade & all's mom
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 3:52am PST 
Just an update - everyone mostly seems to be getting back on track with eating what they are supposed to. And, I have the added benefit that Smudge can't get anyone's leftovers because Blackberry has that covered!

No one seemed too excited about the duck gizzards last night; however, they were eventually eaten during the night.

Purrs,
Shade's mom
[notify]