GO!

getting sick but wanted to start raw...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Blade

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 7:29am PST 
Hey guys. We've been wanting to start raw for a while now. A few things have been holding us back... We got vaccines 3 weeks ago. But it seems we are starting to get sick now...

This is what I've been trying to prevent for a while now. We have a foster kitten who was sick separate from the others, but he was doing better so we put them together. Although to admit it seemed to start before we actually put them together, Blade has had runny eyes for two weeks now. But I suppose if is airborne they probably have already been exposed.

Anyways. I'm assuming it may be a bad idea to start raw now if they are getting sick. But wanted a second opinion. We may end up having to do antibiotics so in that case I know you shouldn't feed raw...

Just wanted your opinions...

Dr thinks it is an upper respiratory thing, herpes possibly?!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 8:17am PST 
Hold on, did they start getting sick after getting the vaccines? Because that happens a lot! thinking
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 12:11pm PST 
I don't think it's the vaccines, but it's like humans at the dr's office--many times sick people are there and we pick up things from them.
It's also common to get upper respiratory issues temporarily after stressy incidents--like riding in the car to the vets!

But really, I'd suspect the newcomer brought a buggy in with him. I managed to give the whole cat-family tapeworm when I came from the shelter, though I'd been 'vetted'--I wasn't showing symptoms and it was only caught when 14 year old BooBoo showed symptoms, and Meowma knew it had to be from me. Boo hadn't been outside in 13 of those 14 years to get bit by a flea carrying the worms! Sure enough, a fecal check proved it was me. red face
[notify]

Blade

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 3:14pm PST 
Yes, I believe they got it from the foster kitten as the foster kitten still lives with us. At first I too thought it was from the vaccines because the foster kitten never really had the watery eyes but today he did the same wheezing cough thing as the foster kitten was doing... So it must be from him.

Is this a bad time to start? I'm asking as today is the day I either start or need to go get some more food from the store... shh

They aren't too bad, I hope they don't get worse.... Its hard to say depending on what they do have. shrug
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Aug 19, '11 4:17pm PST 
I don't think it's necessarily a bad time, unless they're not eating well because of their colds and you need to feed something fishy and smelly to get them to eat. I feed raw during antibiotics too, although I know some people don't. For us it's an every day way of life. Also, a good raw diet might help them build up the strength they need to fight off this bug. But you should do what feels right to you. If you feel like you've got your hands full taking care of everybody and starting a new diet might be too much, wait until they're better.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 6:12am PST 
No, I don't think it's a bad time to start - and I've never heard that you shouldn't feed raw when giving antibiotics. Finn spent a lot of time on antibiotics in his first year, and his vet was fully aware that he was being raw fed. Now, if, as BK said, you feel that they are stuffy and need something fishy/stinky to trigger him to eat, then that's fine - you can pour a little tuna juice or rub some canned salmon over the raw stuff and that should work.
[notify]

Blade

Purred: Sat Aug 20, '11 4:38pm PST 
I've decided to start, whoohoo!! happy dance

Moppie was all over it licking it and so on. Blade wanted nothing to do with it. I added the liquid from their canned food and put parmesan cheese on it and he was all over it licking it too.

Now, will they graduate from licking to actually eating on their own or shall I try grind it up first so they know to eat it? Or chop it up in small pieces... the only thing would be that I don't think they would eat the bone that way.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 2:24pm PST 
I think I would skip the ground stage completely, unless you think that's the kind of raw you want to feed as time goes on. If you're thinking that you want them on Frankenprey, I would just cut small pieces, smash larger bones with a mallet or hammer and let them figure it out. Kittens generally take to it very quickly.
[notify]

Blade

Purred: Sun Aug 21, '11 6:54pm PST 
I don't want to do ground. Yes my thought is to do the frankenprey diet. That is a good idea to smash the bone... I'll have to try that. I cut up the meat in cubes and they ate it that way, but didn't know what to do with the bone.

Thanks
[notify]

BK

Purred: Mon Aug 22, '11 4:14am PST 
How old are they? Try something like Cornish hen ribs maybe? Those should be small enough to handle.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2