GO!

Huge sigh and cheers for my flea/tick/parasite free cats!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Dillon

The Shepard

Purred: Tue Aug 9, '11 9:10pm PST 
OK, gals.

Please don't beat me up for this.

I have been adding a small amount of garlic (yes, I keep it in the safety zone) to my rawfed this summer and now am officially flea/tick free without the use of commercial pesticides. I also deworm them once a month using chewing tobacco. Yes, researched that as well and got input from some local holistic vets.

The best part is it works for my entire cat clan (currently stands at 20 cats) and that mekes me breath a whole lot easier.

Just passin' this happy note on.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Aug 10, '11 4:28am PST 
Well, congrats on your success! Not saying that I would do it, but if you researched it and it works...

I know the people at Only Natural Pet insisted that under a certain amount of garlic is ok for cats when I complained about them adding it to one of the products that I used to buy. And I know that garlic supplements are sold for horses and dogs for the same purpose.

Best wishes for continued flea and tick freeness!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Dillon

The Shepard

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 5:20pm PST 
Thanks!

I found that the almost local farmers co-op has DE (D-something earth, don't ask me to pronounce it) which works as well if not better. Huge plus is that it is non toxic and you cannot OD a cat/dog/goat on it. Mixed with food, it also kills internal parasites.

I feel a trip to the next county coming on...

!!!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 5:37pm PST 
Diatomaceous earth smile
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '11 6:28pm PST 
I use diatomaceous earth for both fleas and worms for my cats, and it works greatsmile

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html has a lot of information about dosage, what it can be used for, and benefits of using it.

BTW, it has lots of benefits for people as well!
[notify]

Sasha- 9/6/06-10/3/- 12

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 11:34am PST 
wow I read that link, that is a lot of info! I will have to read through it again sometime. I wouldnt know how much of it to order as far as quantity or size though.
[notify]

Dillon

The Shepard

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 9:17pm PST 
Chicka boom boom, I LOVE DE!!!

Like the honey previously stated, it is incredible stuff. You MUST get food grade - not that stuff they use in pools, etc. I got a bag 6 weeks ago from the local co-op and the dogs and cats get "dusted" frequently and get it daily in their diet. Then I sprinkled some on the downstairs carpet, in the cat house (no laughing), outside the doors...

Waaay better than any store bought/vet bought bug killer and keeps the tummies clean. I have a lot of heavy mousers and one little dog that insists on eating what they leave for me. big grin Can't OD a critter on the stuff, bug cannot develop an immunity or tolerance to it - and it's cheap. I paid $9.99 for a 4.4 lb bag and while it sounds like a tiny bag a little dust goes a very long way.

Rule of thumb for cats if 1 tsp daily and dogs get 1 tbl daily. (And no one turns up their nose to it!)

!!!

!!!!!
[notify]

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '11 5:35am PST 
Hi! I just wanted to thank yall for this post! My male cat seems to be eaten up with worms and I cannot get rid of them. They are causing an iron deficiency, causing him to eat from the litter box, and he is overgrooming because of them too! Just looked and my local feed store sells DE so I'm going to get some today! Will let you know how it goes!
[notify]