GO!

Feeding a stray

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Tue Sep 6, '11 8:02am PST 
Bless you for keeping MIdnight and giving her a fureva home partypartypartyparty
[notify]

Harley

Purred: Thu Sep 8, '11 12:29pm PST 
God bless you for your compassion in being so kind to a creature that will give you tons of love through out the years.
[notify]

Midnight

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 8:33pm PST 
thx everyone but I already FAIL as a mom.

Midnight is about 6 weeks into pregnancy. Took her for a vet visit today. She is about 5.5lbs and estimated at about 6 months old.

Our appointment on the 15th for spay got re-scheduled. Going to go and speak to clinic tomorrow and see if they will get her in for this coming thursday (vet is only on site for spay/neuter on thursdays).

Kinda sad and angry at myself about the whole situation but it seems like spay/abortion is the best solution. I don't have the resources to care for a nursing mother and kittens. Given her age and size it seems very high risk for her and her unborns. Even if I could pull through this, where am I going to place the kitties, I couldn't even place her to begin with. ::sigh::

Otherwise she was given a clean bill of health. Held out on her vaccines because I needed sometime to process the whole situation. The vet wouldn't vaccinate her while pregnant anyhow.

We'll pull through. I got a nice clear sign that we were meant to be just when I was doubting things. The vet came up with an estimated birthdate off the top of his head which just happened to be my birthdate.
[notify]

Midnight

Purred: Fri Sep 16, '11 10:16pm PST 
Feeding 4 oz of Felidae/day. I alternate with Merrick all life stages canned. 2.5 oz of raw/day. Calculated this based on estimated average adult weight of ten pounds and halved it since I'm kinda feeding half and half. Is pork ok for cats?

I can always up the raw if need be.

Edited by author Fri Sep 16, '11 10:32pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Sep 18, '11 9:10am PST 
Poor Midnight! And poor you for having to make such a tough decision.

Being that she's only 6 months old and a (former) stray, I would feed her almost as much as she'll eat a day. She may overeat because she hasn't had enough food in her short life, but as a 6 month old she's still growing and can use the extra calories.
[notify]

Apollo

Purred: Sun Sep 18, '11 8:40pm PST 
Oh no! Did she get pregnant RIGHT before you brought her inside or what, sorry to hear that! Don't be too hard on yourself, you still saved her from outside and MANY cats especially strays are pregnant when they get fixed. I'm sure everything will be ok once she goes in. Congrats on sharing a birthday smile
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Mon Sep 19, '11 3:57am PST 
Poor you and Midnight, but it's great of you to stick with her!!! I too am a recent stray who found myself a home in September. Us skinny, black cats must stick together!!big grin Luckily, I'm a boy though, so I can't get pregnant.

Best of luck for everything to turn out well!

Purrs,
Blackberry
[notify]

Midnight

Purred: Fri Sep 23, '11 5:00pm PST 
Update...Midnight was spayed yesterday. She also got her rabies and was treated with advantage by the vet, all requirements at time of spay. All is going well. She is using the kitty litter to do her business for the first time. I set up a little hammock for her too. She is being crated for the time being to keep her from engaging in tedious activities like jumping up on things, running around or getting chased by the doggie. She'll be spending more time than I would like in there for the next week but she will have supervised access to the house and rub down sessions. big grin
[notify]

Apollo

Purred: Fri Sep 23, '11 8:23pm PST 
Glad to hear everything went ok for her and she's home and recovering smile She's already come a long way from the little kitty hanging outside!
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Sat Sep 24, '11 5:34am PST 
Yay Midnight!!! Thanks again for taking such good care of her!hug
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2