GO!

Feeding a stray

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Thu Jul 28, '11 9:12am PST 
I'll start by saying I've never owned a cat but I do currently have a dog that I raw feed.

To my amazement I discovered a young black cat that has been living in my yard, primarily under my back porch steps but it occasionally comes out from the shed. The first day I ended up feeding it a piece of hot dog which just happened to be handy and I was surprised at how friendly it was. It came right out took the food, ate it and then nudged its head against me and meowed.

I named the kitty midnight, went out and grabbed some canned cat food (kibble and I just don't see eye to eye for any pet). Then it hit me. Wait! I have a freezer full of meat..duh! I have been feeding the cat 3-4 oz of cat food every morning for the past three days around 10am. Just kinda to supplement its meals. It was and is skinny but not emaciated so it's been fending for itself.

I have two more 13oz cans of Innova cat food left but i'm wondering if i'm feeding enough canned and how much raw I can start feeding? I am just on the way to pick up some chicken necks, gizzards and hearts now.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Thu Jul 28, '11 10:40am PST 
It's going to be hard to know for sure that the diet is totally balanced because you don't know what the cat is catching on its own, but since you say he's thin, I'd give him as much canned food as he will eat until that's gone, and then serve him his raw in 3 or 4 ounce increments twice a day, aiming for balance over a week. Sounds like he's a really sweet cat ... any chance you want to give him a home?
[notify]

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 8:18am PST 
I am now about 90% sure it's a girl. It eats about 4oz in a sitting and then walks away or more like it wants to be stroked. I'm going to continue taking care of it as an outdoor cat for now. I'm picking up a dose of revolution and some tapeworm medication later today. Hope to get it in to get fixed at a low cost clinic before the end of the summer. I will have to make a decision latest sometime in the fall before it gets cold but she might make the decision for me. It already feels like I've been adopted.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 11:14am PST 
Congratulations! It's great to be chosen! cheer
[notify]

Allie

Miss *Allie* My- way or the- highway.

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 2:17pm PST 
If you're going to continue feeding the cat then getting it fixed should be your number one concern, especially if it's a female. Otherwise you will be feeding many more cats soon and it can spiral out of control quickly. I wouldn't even worry about raw feeding or flea treatments etc right now. Get the cat fixed first!
[notify]

Memphis

World Domination- Is Easier With- Thumbs

Purred: Fri Jul 29, '11 4:47pm PST 
I agree with Allie -- you don't want her pregnant, because then you'll be feeding her AND babies. It sounds like she's not feral since she loved on you at first meeting. Maybe she's a lost/dumped pet. I'd go ahead and try to lure her in and get her to a vet asap. I would say feed her as much as she'll eat, but watch how much she is eating and if she's gaining weight. She may have worms if not gaining, which is more reason to trap her and get her to a vet. Granted, it may not be trap so much as "Oh, the car door is open? And you have a piece of chicken in there for me? Well, don't mind if I do."
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jul 31, '11 2:57pm PST 
I agree - she needs to be fixed sooner rather than later. As far as balancing the raw, you only have to worry about the portion you're giving her. Anything she's catching is already balanced by nature!
[notify]

Midnight

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '11 11:28am PST 
Hey everyone! Just an update. Midnight is pretty much part of the household now although she has issues with confinement and my housemate is going through an adjustment period. She kinda comes and goes as she pleases although she spends most the day indoors. She has her spay appointment for the 15th. I've been keeping a close eye on her. She is definitely a girl but she hasn't gone into heat. Both of my attempts to check is she is spayed have failed but I suspect she may be or she is way younger than I thought. We will find out shortly though. I have been feeding her 4-5oz of grain fee canned in the morning and she gets 20z portions of pork, chicken wing, heart, or liver in the night. She absolutely loves raw. She's also on revolution for fleas, ticks, mites, and worms. I also treated her for tapeworm and I put half a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in her food every morning. She is filling up quite nicely. Thank you everyone.
[notify]

Apollo

Purred: Sun Sep 4, '11 9:24pm PST 
Yay! Thanks for giving Midnight a home and getting her into the vet soon for the spay and to be checked out smile Obviously there was a plan in motion for her to end up with you, definitely sounds like you were adopted wink
[notify]

Kosco - 4/97 ~- 8/5/07

Sweet Memories

Purred: Tue Sep 6, '11 7:58am PST 
Awww Midnite is adorable !!

Edited by author Tue Sep 6, '11 8:05am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2