|Purred: Tue Jun 7, '11 4:08am PST |
|Hi again KC. The link you supplied didn't work, but I checked out some of the rest of the Happy Cats site (http://essentials4all.org/Happy_Cats_.html); is that the same site? With all due respect, I think that most of us here would disagree with what this guy is stating. Is this the Basic recipe that I found?
"My basic recipe is 75 to 90 percent raw meat, poultry or fish, and 25 to 10 percent finely ground raw or steamed/mashed vegetables. The recommended breakdown of the meat and vegetables is 35 percent muscle meat, 20 percent organ meat, 20 percent fat, and 25 percent vegetable. The breakdown for the 85/15 combination is 45 percent muscle meat, 20 percent organ meat, 20 percent fat, and 15 percent vegetable."
25% raw or steamed vegetables? 20% organ meat? He doesn't believe in feeding bone. As I mentioned earlier, cats are obligate carnivores, they have absolutely no dietery requirement for vegetables, especially not 25% of their diet. I personally would disregard most of what this guy is saying.
Please read catinfo.org, catnutrition.org, rawfedcats.org, and ibdkitties.net.
If the ground chicken you are feeding is made solely from ground necks and backs then you are feeding too much bone. The percentages for a raw diet should be 80% muscle meat, which by the way includes gizzards and hearts, these are not considered organs for raw feeding, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ. A whole chicken is about 30% bone. Backs and necks have way more bone than a whole chicken, so you are feeding a whopping huge percentage of bone. Too much bone causes constipation, too much organ meat causes loose stool, so there is a reason for the balanced percentages in the diet.
You do not need to add the eggshells with the ground meat you are using. Can you mix the ground necks/backs with just plain ground chicken or turkey meat to cut the bone down?
It is common when switching cats over from a canned food diet to a raw diet to have to put some enticements on to the raw food, so you putting some canned food on top of the raw to get them to eat is a good step.
Again, please don't allow any of your cats to go too long without eating or you might risk feline health problems.
|my posts | my page | msg me | my family's posts | gift me | become friends|| [notify]|