GO!

a few bites

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:49pm PST 
The other day, I took a chance & gave Tigger a small piece of raw chicken breast I was preparing for dinner. It did not have the saline tenderizing in it. He seemed to like it, so my question is even though he is going to all wet since his blockage problems, would it be safe to offer them a bite of raw meat to see what they may like?
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Tue Apr 26, '11 1:51pm PST 
I don't see why not! Try it! way to go
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Tue Apr 26, '11 7:57pm PST 
FNES - Crystals, raw diets, and water may be helpful. I'm haven't been able to keep up on what is happening on catster lately, but I hope that you feel better soon!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Apr 27, '11 3:58am PST 
Hi Tigger. Yes, it is perfectly fine to offer them bits of raw meat while they are on a canned diet. You don't want to feed raw within 12 hours of feeding kibble because of the slow rate of digestion of the dry food, but the digestion rate of canned and raw is very similar.

Just be aware that if you start feeding them a lot of raw that you will have to start balancing the raw part of the diet (80% muscle meat / 10% bone / 5% liver / 5% other secretiing organ). If you are just giving slivers/bites now and then though, you don't have to worry about it.

If you want to read up on the raw diet check out rawfedcats.org, catinfo.org, catnutrition.org and the raw section of ibdkitties.net.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Wed Apr 27, '11 3:27pm PST 
thanks - I won't be going too far raw at this point, but I figure that if I am making some healthy meat for us, I would see who likes a taste of it. I didn't think Tig would, but he snarfed that chicken! Aside from meats with the added saline (which I try to never buy) are there meats that they should not try? IE: like hamburger meat or anything? thanks ps - I use the unsalted butter trick to slick up Tigger"s pills. Works like a charm!

Edited by author Wed Apr 27, '11 3:28pm PST

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu Apr 28, '11 4:52am PST 
It's best not to buy pre-ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken) because you can't be sure how long it's been sitting around and bacteria grow on the surface of meat. A pound of ground meat has a greater surface area than a pound of unground.

Other than that, variety is good! Feed any natural(unenhanced) meat that you get for yourself.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]