GO!

excited!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Hidey

Purred: Sun Apr 17, '11 5:57am PST 
today Pantera, Fluffy and Hidey recieved raw chicken as breakfast for the first time in their entire lives. 5 month old Panter "oh food NOM NOM NOM" 10 year old fluffy "hmm..well maybe just a bite....NOM NOM NOM" 1 year old Hidey "ew bye". I took up their bowl of kibble before bed last night so they'd be hungry(they are usually free fed, i know lazy. But it's because Fluffy never overate or got fat. Hidey i adopted from a shelter so she's pretty fat.)

So now how to get Hidey to try raw chicken?

Im going to slowly convert with chicken first so tonight i will offer chicken again but if she wont eat it and i give her kibble i feel like we're going in the wrong direction.
Also are vitamins necessary..im getting conflicting opinions!
thanks guys!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 5:07am PST 
I don't know where to begin! Please don't put the kibble back down - kibble should not be fed within 12 hours of raw food because of the difference in digestion times. And more importantly, if a kitty knows there is kibble in the house it can be almost impossible to get them switched to canned or raw. Make sure the kibble is in an airtight container and in the fridge or other place the kitties can't smell it.

As for vitamins, if you're feeding a properly balanced diet you shouldn't need them. Chicken by itself is not properly balanced. Here are a couple of articles Dyna-Cats mom and I wrote for Alex's website with the basics of feeding raw:
http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

Hope this helps!
[notify]

Hidey

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 8:38am PST 
i dont have a grinder so is there somewhere i can get ground bones for my older cat who probably wont be able to eat them? or can i just give him some kind of calcium supplement?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 11:41am PST 
Maybe you missed that part of the article. You can either buy meat ground with bones and organs from a place like Hare-Today, or you can add plain meat and liver to a supplement like Alnutrin that has calcium.
[notify]

Hidey

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 4:18pm PST 
it that a supplement i could order online or is it in petsmart/petco?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Apr 18, '11 5:41pm PST 
You can add a pre-mix to raw meat. The pre-mix has all the vitamins and minerals you need. Here are three brands:

TC Instincts
Better In The Raw
Alnutrin

None of these are sold in pet stores. The web sites above have ordering information.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 12:12pm PST 
I recommend Alnutrin. When I had a question, the owner contacted me promptly with an answer. Customer Service is amazing and my cats will eat it. They are so picky too.
[notify]