GO!

Questions on feeding Stella & Chewy's

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Wed Apr 6, '11 8:57am PST 
I feel a bit silly asking this, but I need some advice. How long does it take to rehydrate a Stella & Chewy's patty? Do you put it in a cup to rehydrate, or on a plate? Once hydrated, is it okay to put it in the microwave to warm up the patty or is that a bad idea since there's bone in it? Is using really hot water okay or will it cook the bone?

I tried giving Pookie a piece of a patty this weekend and had it on a plate. It took what seemed like a long time to rehydrate, and by the time it was softened enough to break apart, it was cold and he's used to room temperature food (I warm up his canned in the microwave for a few seconds before giving it to him). So the next time I tried it, I put it in a teacup with really warm water and that seemed to work a little better. I thought about using really hot water but worried I would accidentally cook the patty, which has bone in it.

Any tips? Oh, one other question: is the amount to feed on the bag correct, or do they overestimate? On other foods, the feeding amounts tend to be higher than what's really needed, and I'm wondering if that's the case here. Otherwise Pookie would be getting about 4 patties a day (he's 13 lbs.). I'm not ready to go all raw, but he's getting picky with his canned food and I want to have some options.

Thank you so much!!!
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Apr 6, '11 1:50pm PST 
Putting raw in the microwave zaps all the nutrition right out of it and yes, the bones will cause a problem. If you look on my tips & tricks page it explains the whole thing right there on how to do this. big grin
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Apr 6, '11 5:02pm PST 
A freeze dried patty? You don't need to rehydrate it. Most cats will eat it as-is smile But you could rehydrate it in water. I guess how much water to use depends on the patty. Try a few spoonfuls, wait a couple minutes for it to be absorbed, and add more water if needed to rehydrate the patty into whatever texture you prefer.
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 6:20am PST 
Yep, it's the freeze-dried raw. He will eat it dry, but the package instructions say to rehydrate, and I thought I'd read somewhere that it's better to rehydrate to make sure they get the moisture, and so that the dry patty doesn't absorb liquid in the tummy and make them bloat. shrug I'm just trying to find the quickest way to get the patty to absorb the water and still be warm by the time it's rehydrated.

Do I go with the package information on how much to feed, or do they tend to overestimate?

Thanks!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 9:00am PST 
Does it? Human just feeds the Stella and Chewy's freeze dried patties as-is thinking The kittens eat it as a treat anyways so it doesn't matter smile

Most pet food companies overestimate how much to feed. Just feed enough to maintain a good body weight smile

Are you also feeding the frozen raw or just the freeze dried?
[notify]

Willie

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 9:11am PST 
Here are a few tips with the freeze-dried Stella & Chewy's Dinners:

The freeze-dried can be rehydrated either in a bowl or on a plate, whichever you prefer (I use a bowl).

Rehydration goes faster if the patty is broken up and then the warm (NOT hot) water is poured over and then mixed.

Do not use hot water as it will begin to cook the product, thus lessening the nutrients and cooking the raw bone.

Water should not be much warmer than a baby bottle (test on inside of wrist).

Do not microwave as it will have the same effect of beginning to cook the product.

Feeding guidelines are just guidelines...they're neither too high, nor too low. You may need to adjust them based on your animal's needs.

Also, they suggest rehydrating the patties to give your cats some extra water. As we know, cats don't always drink as much as they should! Hope that helps. smile
[notify]

Pookie

Psycho-kitty

Purred: Thu Apr 7, '11 9:24am PST 
Hi Merlin,

I'm just giving the freeze-dried. I wanted to see if he'd even eat it, so I'd have something to add to his rotation. I wasn't planning on going raw with him, but since it's been hard to find other canned foods that he likes, I may have to add it in just to give more variety.

Hi Willie,

Breaking up the patty first is a great idea! I wish I had thought of that but it didn’t even occur to me red face. Thanks for the great information, I'll try again this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks everyone! cheercheercheer
[notify]