GO!

Red Meat

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mocha

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 12:47am PST 
So, I was curious if anyone has run into any problems with cats and red meat? I started lamb three days ago, but found that even the slightest bit of lamb made Mocha vomit almost immediately (this isn't new as any of the beef based wet food we gave her triggered the same response). So we thawed out some Turkey and put her back on that and we've had no vomit issues.

Kira was doing okay with Lamb mixed into her wet food, but the moment she went 100% raw lamb she started vomiting within 5 minutes of eating. I put her back on the Turkey as well and she's doing fine (straight turkey, no wet food).

I don't think there was a problem with the lamb as Kira was eating it when it was mixed with with wet food without issue and I fed the rest of the defrosted lamb to Terra, our raw fed dog, and she's had no issues. Terra won't eat meat that's started to turn, so I don't think that's the problem.

I know that red meat can be pretty rich, and to be honest, the fat content on the Rad Cat Lamb is really high. Higher than the protein, actually. Do you think it could be the fat content of the mix vs. the actual lamb?

Kira's experience with the Lamb today set us back a bit (back to mixing in wet food to get her to eat it), but she's keeping the turkey down and came back looking for seconds so I just added more turkey vs. more wet food and she ate that and still kept everything down.

As a side note, it blows my mind how difficult it is to get the dang cats on raw! You'd think that as obligate carnivores they'd be, like, "Oh! FOOD! Finally!!! party"

I'm telling you though, whenever we get our next kitten(s) I'm putting them immediately onto raw. The change in Mocha has been amazing. Even at 7 she was starting to slow down a bit, but her energy level is insane. It's like having a kitten in the house again, and she's not even on raw 100% yet!
cheer
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Apr 1, '11 3:57am PST 
Hi Mocha's Mom!

I'm sorry you're having a problem with the lamb. We've never had a problem with any red meat at our house, but it is possible that it's too rich, or could they just be eating it too quickly? If the radcat is really high in fat, then the richness of the lamb is less likely the cause.

Turkey is a really a great meat, definately top of the list at our house. It might be best just to stick to that for several days until everyone's digestive systems are settled down again. Once that happens, maybe then venture to try out some other meat. I think that turkey is probably too low in fat to be fed solely long term though.

I have heard that some cats can have a sensitivity to a protein source when it is in cat food (i.e. cooked and processed), but not when it's served to them raw. Considering this, have you tried any raw, lean beef? I understand that you may not want too. Are you able to get any rabbit?

I'm really glad that despite the difficulties of the transitioning period that your cats are showing improvements in their health and overall well being - yay for you !happy dance

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]