GO!

'Nother question!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mocha

Purred: Mon Mar 28, '11 10:52pm PST 
What are the general thoughts on the boneless grinds/mixes? Financially I can't afford a grinder at the moment (or in the near future), but I do have the ability to make/use one of the boneless recipes.

The Rad Cat is not affordable in the long run (5.99 for just 8oz and I have two cats to feed). Only one will eat anything with bones in it at the moment.

As far as bones go, though, as long as I'm using actual bone meal (human grade) is that ok? Are the bones there primarily for oral care? Say, for example, I can't get Mocha to eat anything close to frankenprey is there any reason, other than dental, that she couldn't eat a ground raw diet where the primary calcium was from bone meal?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 4:05am PST 
You know, I'm not 100% sure of the answer. On catnutrition.org there is a modification of her recipe using the human grade bonemeal in place of ground bone; however, she says that you shouldn't feed this long term, but I'm not sure why.

I don't know how bonemeal is made, or if it includes the marrow from the bone. It might lose something in the processing? I know that people also use ground egg shells as a source of calcium for ground meat.

You can at least address the issue of "teeth cleaning" by feeding gizzards. They aren't hard like bones, but they are tough and chewing on them also helps with a cat's teeth and gums (and most cats love gizzards which are also pretty cheap!).

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 5:00am PST 
I don't know the answer about bone meal either. But I believe you can feed something like Alnutrin (with calcium) added to plain ground meat long term.
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 7:23pm PST 
Hmmm... .BK I'll take a look into that. I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row just in case I can't get her onto a frankenprey diet.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 7:28pm PST 
I'm using Alnutrin but they are starting to snub it. Le sigh.

I was thinking of going the route of eggshells but since Penn has decided he can eat chicken again (look I don't get my cats anymore they are enigmas) I may just toss down a chicken wing.

Try eggshells? That's what's in the Alnutrin for calcium.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 3:40am PST 
There is also the TC Feline Premix (tcfeline.com), which used to be Feline Future Instinct; I used that way back when I first started feeding raw. You can use something like that or the Alnutrin long term as far as I know.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Mocha

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 1:06pm PST 
Awesome.. I'll look into both. Mocha is incredibly picky so I really think this move to raw is going to be a heck of a fight. I really hope I can get some 'natural' bone into her as I have a theory about the Idiopathic Hypercalcemia and the way a cat's body responds to a species appropriate calcium supply. Ideally I'd like to get her onto a food that uses bone in it's natural form (frankenprey).

Kira's almost completely transferred over now so I'll pick up a gamehen or something today and see how that goes!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 5:33pm PST 
There's also Better In The Raw pre-mix

Maybe you can look for a used grinder on Craigslist or EBay or FreeCycle.org?
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Mar 30, '11 6:13pm PST 
Mocha- to get my guys to eat the bones or moreso have the jaw abilities to do this I stayed completely away from ground meat even if I didn't feed bones. I had intentions of returning to them. I would chunk the meat in smaller bites at first dispersed around the plate for easier access. Then they'd get closer together like in a mound so the boys would have to tear them away from it. Then the pieces got a little bigger. I'm not sure if I'm right but I assume this is why they can still tear into a chicken wing. Well, Teller can. Penn never really wanted to try but I'm not giving up. He's lazy cat!
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 2:38pm PST 
We use the Better in the Raw premix with Primal and Nature's Variety grinds. So far so good and I really love this because we can rotate protein sources pretty regularly to prevent anymore allergies. Our area doesn't have a great meat selection otherwise, so feeding other raw methods wasn't feasible.

A note on the gizzards, do you think cats with chicken allergies could eat gizzards? Mine need some desperate teeth help despite regular brushing.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2