GO!

Too much bone causing constipation or impaction?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Tidus

Purred: Sun Mar 6, '11 11:04pm PST 
First off, I don't know if this could be MY error, or if he got into some foreign object...but nevertheless...

I was wanting to get rid of the last of the chicken thigh ground bone before going shopping for the month and now having issues going poop in the past 18 hours. I didn't think much of it at first, but then it got really bad. Scooting his butt, licking excessively down there, and only smaller bits of poo coming out when he does in fact go. He hasn't had any bowel movements in quite a few hours as of this writing and he's acting like his rear is very sore as he doesn't want to be held and has even been growling and crying just when walking around. When he had passed a little bit of stool earlier in the day, I noticed some bone shard in it but it looked a lot bigger than the fragments he's ever been given with his food. He did escape outside 2-3 times this week so I'm freaking out thinking this might be MY error, or he got into bones during his escape outside.

I have an appointment and am taking him in to the vet first thing in the morning at 7am. I've never had this happen before with feeding raw and it's scaring me thinking he might have something serious going on and an obstruction. cry Can there be serious complications to a high bone ratio in their meal? Anybody else had this happen before?

Edited by author Mon Mar 7, '11 2:03am PST

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 3:37am PST 
I really hope that Tidus is ok!!

Yes, you can feed too much bone. I suppose you know that bone is supposed to be only 10% of the raw diet? Each cat is different of course, but the 10% is a good starting place. You know if you are feeding too much bone if their stool gets chalky grey or white. If you feed too little, they get loose stool. It can also be a good idea to feed some organ with or right after a bone heavy meal.

I don't think I've ever seen a bone shard in my cat's poop. Raw bone should be pretty much digested, so I'm wondering if when he was out, he might have come across some leftover cooked chicken or something in someone's garbage. Cooked bones are very bad since they become hard and sharp.

Again, I really hope that Tidus is ok. Please let up know what happens

Purrs to you,
Shade
[notify]

Tidus

Purred: Mon Mar 7, '11 7:42am PST 
Yeah I know about the 10% and that's usually what he gets. I just wasn't really thinking about it this week with wanting to get that left over stuff eaten up. There was still a larger portion of meat to his meals than bone, but being too much was my initial thought process on all this when the constipation hit.

But after pondering on it for a bit throughout the early morning (I couldn't sleep a wink!) that was my new conclusion, Shades. He's never had shards in his stool before either, and when he passed that stool, it wasn't chalky at all. So I'm going to assume for now that it's gotta be something he ingested while outside frown

Have a vet appointment in 2 hours...will let you know how it goes when we get home.

Edited by author Mon Mar 7, '11 7:58am PST

[notify]

Shade

Purred: Tue Mar 8, '11 4:02am PST 
What happened with Tidus? Purring that he's fine!!
[notify]

Tidus

Purred: Tue Mar 8, '11 10:01pm PST 
Well, they did a thorough physical exam on him, and then sedated him and did a rectal exam, but turns out he wasn't blocked in his GI tract at all. Since he has a history with bladder crystals and urinary tract issues, they ran a urinalysis on him and I got the results back today. They said that there was no sign of blood cells in the urine, no crystals, and no bacteria, but his glucose and specific gravity was elevated and his pH was acidic. Now they want to run some further blood tests to check for diabetes! I am in shock...diabetes?! He's not overweight at all (9.5lbs according to the clinic scale), nor does he have any other symptoms of diabetes.

The tech did say that due to him likely being stressed out, and probably holding his urine in all day, that could be why it was elevated. I had to leave him there at 10:30am, and they sedated him and did the rectal exam, and then I came back around 3:30pm to get him, and they didn't get the urine sample from him until close to 4pm so he was holding it in for quite a while.

They didn't give me the exact numbers to tell HOW high everything it is, but I'm going to call back tomorrow and find out so I can look around and do some research on it. I expect the acidity, since a raw diet should leave them with mildly acidic urine. I scheduled for him to have a second urinalysis done next week, one where he won't have to be cooped up all day and they can get a fresher sample after a week of being on his normal, balanced diet. Since he's been home, he's acting perfectly fine :/ So I just don't get what's going on. I'm at least thankful that he didn't get a hold of anything outside, and wasn't blocked up from his food. But still.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed Mar 9, '11 3:35am PST 
Well I'm glad he's feeling better. I hope that there is nothing wrong!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]