GO!

Are some cats just not meant to eat rmb's??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 1:05pm PST 
Hi; for those of you who don't know me, I'm Shade's little brother. I'll let my mom tell this story...

When I converted Chaucer to raw in Dec '09 when I got him, he eagerly ate any raw that I put in front of him and he even used to growl when he got his favorites, such as game hens and rabbit rmb's. Then sometime around 6 months or so ago, something happened. I think he got a small bone stuck somewhere in his mouth, I couldn't find it and he cleared it himself, but after this time he refused to eat any rmb's for quite a while. I finally got him back to eating the smallest of rabbit and game hen ribs. Lately, I've even gotten him to try out some slightly larger bones, but I always keep them way smaller than what I give Shade or Smudge. Just so you all know, he mostly has been getting his bone content form whole prey quail and ground raw from hare-today.

Well, just now he was eating his rabbit ribs something made me go check on them and there he was pawing at his mouth, running backwards, etc. He won't let me look much in his mouth at the momment, but he seems to be acting normally now, so I'm hoping to get a good look in a bit when he's calm.

Anyway, have any of you run across a cat that just can't seem to handle even smaller rmb's? I'm thinking that maybe I should just not give them to Chaucer any more as he seems to be a bit incompetent at eating them and I'm afraid that he could really get hurt.

Any suggestions? I know that I can just cut them up really small too and he has his quail and the hare-today grinds. Sigh...

Thanks!
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 7:52pm PST 
Think he's lost his mojo? I watch my kittens all f the time eating the raw stuff and I gotta say I think a lot of it's psychological. Since Penn has been away, Teller won't touch rmb's or chicken. He only eats beef which is Penn's favorite. It's like he's saying "it's no fun to kill chicken kill if I can scare the crud outta you." it's weird because Teler used to hate beef.
Maybe Chaucer kind of panics a little when he goes to eat? He gets a little wigged out and starts choking. Then, you ask, why would he even touch it? I guess because it's dang hard to pass up! laugh out loud
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Wed Mar 2, '11 8:18pm PST 
That's supposed to say if I *can't scare the crud outta you

And *Teller

Autocorrect hates me
[notify]

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 3:40am PST 
So, I must have missed something, where is Penn? Is he ok???

As a cat mom I hate to say it, but I personally think that Chaucer isn't running with all his cylinders firing, poor boy.shh The other 2 are so smart and he's just so...not. But you'd still think the guy could manage to eat small bones without getting in trouble; he was trying so hard too. Ha, I can hardly wait until this summer when I have family visiting and they see me throwing dead quail chicks around the kitchen for my cat to eat!laugh out loud

Purrs,
Chaucer's mom
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 5:25am PST 
Poor Chaucer! Yes, I think it's entirely possible some cats can't do RMB's. Poor Teddy would just look at a bone and throw up. But he ate the H-T ground just fine. Even if Chaucer decides he only wants ground you can still give gizzards to clean his teeth.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Purred: Thu Mar 3, '11 11:50am PST 
Penn had hernia surgery, but ended up having double surgery because she missed his little hernia then Teller popped one of his little stitches literally hugging him (I wish I had a camera out when he was doing this) too much I guess I dunno so I put him in my outdoor guesthouse storage thing in isolation.

Also, as far as Chaucer "not having an elevator that goes to the top" don't worry there are many many times I swear Teller's kitten crazies are just a little beyond the norm. You know... Those lights are on, seems nobody's home
[notify]

Chaucer

Purr Bug

Purred: Fri Mar 4, '11 3:47am PST 
Thanks BK! I figure the quail chicks are good for that too? Oops, just realized I forgot to take one out of the freezer to thaw for later.

P&T - I hope that Penn feels better soon! There were times before Chaucer "grew up" that I was sure that he wouldn't survive kittenhood, but somehow he made it!big grin Now I worry that he won't survive young adulthood instead!

Purrs to all!
Chaucer's mom
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Thu Mar 31, '11 2:47pm PST 
Maybe it's an orangie thing? We love Hobie to death, but bless his little heart he isn't the brightest kitten in the box.

Certainly never had a food related problem though...
[notify]