GO!

Calcium

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Noodle

So I broke it.- Get over it.

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 4:10pm PST 
I want to follow this recipe with chicken thighs (bone-in) http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/making-raw-cat-food-for-do-it- yourselfers?start=1

I don't have a grinder that can grind bones though. What can I use to supplement calcium/bones?

Can I buy a human-edible bone meal? Calcium Carbonate? Calium Citrate? Powdered egg shell?

Help me out here. lol
[notify]

Mo

Save Plants - Let Me Eat- Meat!!!

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 4:30pm PST 
Will you cat/s not eat real bone?

Would it work, if you want to grind their food, to smash some chicken breast/ribs with a hammer then put it through the grinder?
[notify]

Noodle

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 4:51pm PST 
Tried that and the grinder jammed. It's a manual one. lol

This will only be until I'm able to afford a better grinder. lol
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 6:34pm PST 
On the cat-nutrition website if you go under Foodmaking -> recipes and page down a bit you'll get to her recipe for "Without Real Bones". She uses human grade bonemeal and unflavored gelatin in place of the bone.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Noodle

Purred: Tue Feb 15, '11 7:05pm PST 
Maybe I'm just blind or something but can you direct me to where that is exactly? I can't find it. ): lol
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 3:50am PST 
http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.php Scroll down the page to the Raw Cat Food Diet Recipe Made WITHOUT Real Bones section smile
[notify]

Noodle

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 7:23am PST 
Thank yooou! smile

I have no idea why I couldn't find that.
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:16am PST 
if your cats will eat little pieces of bone you can actually beat the bones to a pulp if you get chicken wings and backs for its bones. I tried it myself this morning with a meat tenderizer mallet it's not hard at all. If you get a bigger mallet like a butcher grade one its even easier. I didnt even need to cover it up wasn't that messy. I think it even exposes the marrow and makes it tastier or something because one of my cats literally went banannners from it which I'm going to start another thread about in a minute MOL.
[notify]

Noodle

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 8:19am PST 
I can try but my cats are ridiculously picky.
[notify]

Noodle

Purred: Wed Feb 16, '11 10:23am PST 
Why is bone meal considered "not real bone" when it's made from cattle bones?

And would this be suitable? I can only get this at holistic food stores.
http://www.nowfoods.com/Products/ProductsAlphabetically/M00 3353.htm

Edited by author Wed Feb 16, '11 10:25am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2