GO!

Thinking of adding raw to the cats diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 1:38pm PST 
Recently found that my petfood express caries raw frozen and freeze dried was thinking of using that instead of the boys nightly wet food. They currently get a variety of brands fussie cat, wellness, avoderm to name a few. Mostly fussie cat as its human grade food and pretty much cooked chicken or cooked fish with a lil rice and veggies. They get grain free taste of the wild mixed with indigo moon kibble. Is it ok to do a raw kibble blend? Its easier budget wise for me to keep them on kibble along with the raw.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:04pm PST 
I don't think it's a good idea to feed both kibble and raw. Kibble has a longer digestive rate than raw and that may cause an upset tummy.

Dry food isn't good for cats anyways. It can cause a lot of health problems as discussed at http://www.catinfo.org.

You can do canned food and raw way to go
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 5:13pm PST 
Grim & Merlin, the difference in digestion times between kibble and raw isn't just a matter of causing tummy upset. If the raw (which moves through their digestive systems quickly) gets stuck behind kibble (which moves through slowly) bacteria can build up. You need to separate raw and kibble meals by at least 12 hours. But Merlin is right - drop the kibble completely for a healthier kitty!
[notify]

Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Tue Feb 8, '11 11:09pm PST 
I will look into the price difference between there usual kibble/ wet and the raw diets at pet food express. I think the freeze dried raw would be easier for us is it ok to do a mix of freeze dried raw and frozen raw? Freeze dried since its an add water and go item would be easier for my roommate who usually feeds the cats in the morning shes not much for messing with chunks of raw food.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Feb 9, '11 9:28am PST 
Freeze dried raw is mostly used for treats, occasional meals away from home, etc. I think some are even supplement only, not 100% nutritionally complete thinking

Many frozen raw come in patties or nuggets so they're easy to feed smile Just thaw some in the fridge (overnight usually. Some brands may take 10-12 hours to fully defrost) and use a spoon to break it up into easy to eat pieces before feeding.

Raw food costs more than kibble or canned but it's so much better for you big grin A 3 pound bag of Nature's Variety (48 nuggets) costs $21 here, slighlty less for the beef. A 4 pound bag Primal Pet raw (64 nuggets) costs about $20, more for the quail and pheasant varieties.

Compare costs at your local pet stores. Ask if they occasionally have sales or discounts on raw food. A pet store here gives a 5% discount on raw food with the store's reward card smile Another store sometimes has a specific brand of raw food on sale. And look for coupons to use smile Nature's Variety often has coupons for raw food. If you scroll down the Raw Food Diet forum, there is a post with a current coupon to use smile

Edited by author Wed Feb 9, '11 9:31am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Feb 9, '11 4:02pm PST 
Pre-made raw may cost more, but do-it-yourself raw works out cheaper. If you can do a mix of both you'll probably break even!
[notify]

LeeLoo

Purred: Thu Feb 10, '11 8:18pm PST 
I started off with pre-made raw, slowly adding it to wet food. Eventually I just went the do it yourself route and it's a TON cheaper then pre-made raw or canned. But yeah, a great transitional thing regardless.
[notify]

Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Fri Feb 11, '11 3:42pm PST 
My pet food express has a deal where if you buy three of any raw brand you get the fourth item of that brand free. So far it will cost abut the same as feeding them there 22 dollar a month bag of taste of the wild. The freeze dried raw I looked at was grandma Lucy and says its a full diet. Whats good for there teeth besides brushing?? Can they get the occasional crunch cat treat along with raw? The boys love love love there greenies and I hate to not give them.
[notify]

Grim

Who can I squish- today

Purred: Fri Feb 11, '11 4:27pm PST 
Wow was sitting here doing the math and if I take the cats dry 5lbs for 18 dollars a month and add in there can food at .89 per can that's a can each cat so 1.78 a day. For thirty days in a month that is 53.40 on can food alone wow definitely thinking raw will be cheaper if not equal.shock did not realize how much I was spending on wet food.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Feb 11, '11 5:00pm PST 
You can give a raw turkey or chicken neck bone for dental health smile Brushing is still best to scrub away bacteria and food junk. Many supermarkets, especially ethinic markets, have raw chicken and turkey neck bones. Or ask a butcher shop.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3