GO!

How often can I feed chicken livers?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Trilby

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 12:50pm PST 
Currently we are feeding 9mth Trilby NV Instincts wet mixed with a small amount of Rad Cat premade raw. She has taken to the raw easily - thank goodness!

Last week I bought some chicken necks and cut them up into little pieces. At first she had no idea what to do, but then finally figured it out. It was great fun watching her work out her jaws! No problems there.

Today I was at Whole Foods and saw some chicken livers and thought I'd experiment and see if she liked those. I gave her half a liver cut into little pieces and she hoovered it down like I had been starving her for a week!

My question is this - is it safe to feed Trilby chicken liver each day together with chicken neck? She would still be getting her wet twice a day. But I would alternate each meal with the additional premade raw or the livers/necks.

MORNING - 3/4 5.5oz can wet + heaped teaspoon premade raw

EVENING - 3/4 5.5oz can wet + half chicken liver + half chicken neck

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:14pm PST 
Assuming that the cans and the premade raw are completely balanced, you'll be getting things a little out of whack, but at least not in one direction or the other! Ideally a raw diet is 80% muscle meat, 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. So by adding only bones and liver you're outside those ratios, but at the same time, there's not really a way to fit the canned food in that formula. The best thing you can do is watch his poop (how many times do we say that around here?!). If it's soft, cut back on the liver, if it's hard cut back on the bone. But here's a question - he's got the hardest part down (bones) and he likes the liver - why not just switch him over to raw? smile
[notify]

Trilby

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:14pm PST 
I was doing some research and it seems I should only feed liver once a week to avoid an overdose in Vitamin A.

So I guess my follow-up question is how much liver should I give her each week. Half a liver? One?

And would it still be okay to give her 1 chicken neck a day?
[notify]

Trilby

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:24pm PST 
BK, thanks for your answer! Guess we were posting at the same time.

I forgot to add that the original plan was to increase the ratio of premade raw to wet, so that she is eventually eating all premade raw. And then I was going to aim for a diet of frankenprey. I was just introducing the necks and liver to see how Trilby would react. And then I got all excited when she ate them so easily.

I guess if she is happily eating the necks and liver, I can skip the premade raw step and just go straight into frankenprey.

If I'm being honest, despite all the reading I've done on raw food diets, I am scared about the ratios for frankenprey and messing up. Trilby won't have issues, it's me! We went from dry to wet, now wet to premade raw.....I feel like it would be more manageable if I got her onto all premade raw, and then tackled the frankenprey thing.

Sorry, I'm just babbling now. Think I need to take a breather from all the research and have a glass of wine!!

What do you recommend my next step be?

Edited by author Thu Mar 4, '10 2:26pm PST

[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:35pm PST 
I think we posted at exactly the same time! I hear what you're saying and if you're more comfortable going with pre-made first until you're ready, I think that's fine. I'm usually in more of a hurry to get to where I'm going, mol. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about getting it perfect - I'd be surprised if any of us do. We do the best we can, do the math for percentages and cross our fingers! If there's a problem the litter box will probably let you know first.

So you should relax (with that glass of wine!) and think about it for awhile. It took me a long time to decide to feed raw and it was almost more BK's decision than mine because of his allergies. We started on supplemented ground meat/bone/organs from Hare-Today and moved on to Frankenprey. You're headed in the right direction - there's no rush!
[notify]

Trilby

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:49pm PST 
Thanks for the support BK. Haven't had that glass of wine yet, but you have helped the perfectionist in me calm down a bit!

I should be happy Trilby is so easy to please. I will take some time to think about my options.

I'm very interested in the supplemented product from Hare Today. How did the cost/day work out for you? I really like the brand of premade raw I'm buying but it's very expensive.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Mar 4, '10 4:44pm PST 
BK's brother Teddy is still on the supplemented ground raw because he has trouble with bones and he's also allergic to so many things that when I tried giving him RMBs he had an allergy flare up. He has to have the rabbit which is more expensive ($20 for 5 lbs.) but you can get the chicken, turkey or beef for half that. That 5 pounds should last 2-3 weeks for one cat depending on how much they eat (probably not that long for a kitten!). That doesn't include the supplements. We use B-complex, taurine, E and fish oil. Bottom line, it is cheaper than quality canned food I think, and much healthier!

Please feel free to PM me if you need the recipe, tips or anything at all!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 4:06am PST 
Hi Trilby! BK gave you great advice. You will know you are overdoing the liver if yoor cat gets diarrhea. You will know if you overdo the bones if your cat's poop is hard and greyish. Have you read rawfedcats.org?

You can figure out how much to feed Trilby each week by getting her weighed, calculating out if you want to feed her 2-4% or more of her weight (she'll still be growing at 9 months) and figuring out 10% of that for bone and 5% of that for liver.

All the hare-today.com products are great! I don't personally supplement the ground that I buy from them, but that ground is only a portion of my cat's diet along with chunks of meat, RMB's, and canned for breakfast. The h-t prices aren't bad, but the shipping for frozen goods is expensive, so don't expect to save tons of money. I do like that I can get different protein sources from them though than I could source in the grocery store. My cats love the goat, rabbit, and quail.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Trilby

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 3:20pm PST 
Thanks for the info BK! Sorry to hear about Teddy's allergy problems. frown Even with the more expensive rabbit, it sounds a heck of a lot cheaper then what I pay for the premade ($5.99 for a mere 8oz). Right now it lasts the whole week, but that's because we're only feeding tiny amounts. Would love a cheaper option for when she is 100% raw that doesn't require me grinding my own meat. When I get to that stage, I will PM you for more info.

Shade, I have read rawfedcats.org along with so many other websites (which explains why my brain is overloaded!). For now, I'm going to continue upping the amount of raw vs wet, just using the premade raw. Then I'll start making my own raw, like BK does for Teddy. And then I'll jump into frankenprey. But for now I might also add a chicken neck every couple of days for dental health, and a liver or heart once a week as a special treat.

So, it sounds like you feed your cat a combo of things (canned, frankenprey, ground)? Would love to hear more about the diet you feed. Thanks for your reply. smile
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Mar 5, '10 3:37pm PST 
No problem Trilby - you'll find it's a pretty helpful bunch around here! My boys say they want to go live at Shade's house - they've got all the good stuff!

Shade did bring up a point I had forgotten - the shipping charges. I try to put together a large order every 3-4 weeks with both Teddy's ground and BK's chunks and the shipping runs about $20 on a $100 order. Just to give you an idea. That's ground service because we're within a 2-day shipping point from H-T. If you have to ship air it would be more.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2