GO!

What Is A Regular Bowel Movement?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bishop

Mr. ``B``

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 1:30pm PST 
Can I please get some insight into what is a normal bowel movement for cats. I hear different regularities and I get concerned. Some people say anything longer than 1-2 days is a real concern. Some say 3-4 days is fine. My cat had chronic diarrhea on commercial pet food for years. Since being on a mostly all raw diet his stools are back to normal. At first on the new diet he was going every 1 to 2 days. Now 4 months on a prey model diet - he sometimes does not go for 3 days. I am afraid for him that it will start to get longer. I give him a little bit more liver and fat to no avail. I have given him pumpkin, baby squash, baby peas with no luck in increasing the frequency. If I give him Laxatone this usually helps but I do not want him to become dependent on this. Can you guys tell me the frequency of your cats and if I am over reacting....thanks!smile

Edited by author Tue Jan 13, '09 1:31pm PST

[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 7:16pm PST 
My cat's regular schedule is once a dya. Some cats go twice a day. You need to determine what normal is for your cat. I think that when you feed raw it's less volume in stool but I am not sure about frequency. I am not a raw feeder so I really don't know. you may want to ask some of the raw feeders how often their cats go. If he's not straining to defecate and he's still eating then you are most likely in the clear. Provided he has had no constipation issues in the past and is not a Manx.
[notify]

Rocky Ann- Forever

Hello Kitty

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 10:03pm PST 
I always have gone once a day, alot of times twice a day. Always in the morning and then sometimes too at night. That is just what is normal for me.

If it keeps happening that your kitty doesn't go for 3 days at a time, I for sure would call and ask your Vet and just see what they say over the phone. If the kitty seems normal otherwise, maybe the Vet will say that is fine. I would think it would be uncomfortable not to go for 3 days.

I have to add that I am not on a raw diet. I forgot what forum I was in.

hug

Edited by author Tue Jan 13, '09 10:05pm PST

[notify]

Watson

He's no- Sherlock!

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 10:11pm PST 
A number of people on rawcat list once every 2-3 days as normal. As mine are not totally on raw, I wouldn't be as good a judge, but even on raw with canned, the bm's have slowed down to 1-2 days. If they are using most of what they eat, there is really little filler to poop out. So if your cat is on total raw, and is not straining, I wouldn't worry too much!
[notify]

Bishop

Mr. ``B``

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 6:45am PST 
I'm not too sure if he is straining....he usually has a stool when I am at work laugh out loud He seems to be normal in every other aspect. On the 3rd day it usually is one piece (kinda spongey) not super hard and not overly huge - about 3" long. Although the last 1" is softer. That may be from the laxatone I usually will give him on the 3rd day to make sure he passes a stool. He is almost completely on raw except for those fussy meals when he won't eat the chunks of meat without a smear of canned. laugh out loud i will continue to monitor. What is the norm for your cats on a mostly raw diet?
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 1:31pm PST 
Gordie goes every 1-2 days, but Khina is more like every 2-3.

What kind of litter are you using? Honestly I've not noticed some of my cats' poops in the box because they're so small. We use wood stove pellets and on days that the cats have eaten poultry their poops are about the same color as the pellets.

Oh another thing....

When I first started feeding raw I do remember panicking because nobody pooped for a few days and when they finally did it was very, very small. What it turned out to be was their bodies really USED all that good food and they simply didn't have any waste. It was truly amazing to realize that their bodies utilized nearly everything! Then once they were on raw for a while they got on a more regular schedule, but it is definitely influenced by what their meals were.
[notify]

Bishop

Mr. ``B``

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 2:01pm PST 
When he started the switch from canned to raw his diarrhea slowly started clearing up. When the diarrhea cleared up (still on the mix of canned with more raw) I'd say he was going once a day in very small amounts. And now that he is pretty much completely on raw he has started going up to 3 days without a stool. Khina, I see your cat sometimes goes 3 days without a stool and she is fed a raw diet, right? So, maybe it isn't so uncommon...? And you are not afraid that she is constipated? I will definately continue to make sure it doesn't go past 3 days.

One more thing I wanted to say was the raw he started out on was whole chicken carcass medallions ground (no added ingredients) mixed in with the canned. And now he is on meat chunks (minimal bone, and organs)...So maybe the ground had more moisture???

Edited by author Wed Jan 14, '09 2:05pm PST

[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 3:09pm PST 
Khina, I see your cat sometimes goes 3 days without a stool and she is fed a raw diet, right? So, maybe it isn't so uncommon...? And you are not afraid that she is constipated? I will definately continue to make sure it doesn't go past 3 days.

Yes. All the animals are on 100% raw. The cats have been all raw since last May. Each day they get one bone in meal and one boneless meal. Then on Sundays they get a bone in meal and organ soup with a bony side (usually part of a chicken back). Their weekly soup contains organs, eggs, pureed butternut squash and whatever leftover meat or baby food is in the fridge. Khina and the ferrets aren't big fans of eating organs, so I give them this one soupy meal per week. The day after soup is the day of smelly poop. (Still less stinky than kibble poop though smile ) I would say that I scoop 4-5 Gordie poops per week and 3-4 Khina poops. This has stayed pretty darn consistent since the transition, so I accept it as their normal schedule. It definitely did freak me out at first when they didn't go every day, so I don't blame you at all for being concerned. The litter box gives you a lot of good clues as to the health of your cat, so good for you for paying attention!

One more thing I wanted to say was the raw he started out on was whole chicken carcass medallions ground (no added ingredients) mixed in with the canned. And now he is on meat chunks (minimal bone, and organs)...So maybe the ground had more moisture???

Maybe or maybe it contained more organs than you thought. Was this pre-made ground? I assume so since you said "medallions". It's hard to know exactly what's in those pre-made meals. I would doubt that they are grinding up a whole chicken and then portioning it out. It's probably more like chicken pieces that they're throwing in together so that they're getting all the parts in their, but likely not in the exact ratio of an entire bird. Or it could be that their was just more waste materials like feet and feathers that caused more movements.

I wish the catster forums weren't set up so that you can't see previous posts while you're typing, but did you say if you feed pumpkin regularly?
[notify]

Frodo

Hobbit Kitty,- Mighty Hunter

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 3:30pm PST 
I wish the catster forums weren't set up so that you can't see previous posts while you're typing

You can - if you click on previous screen, and then forward back, what you already typed is still there. I do it all the time because I have no memory. big grin
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 4:45pm PST 
I wish the catster forums weren't set up so that you can't see previous posts while you're typing

Mommy cheats! She just opens 2 windows! shh

big laughbig laughbig laugh
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2