GO!

???????

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

♥Zaph- od♥

It's Good To Be- A Cat! Wait No- Kitten!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 2:34pm PST 
I feed strays OTHER than my own cats,I wanted to know if I begin feeding them raw without taurine spray?????? Their just strays but just want to make sure.
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 4:08pm PST 
What is taurine spray?

On a properly balanced raw diet, taurine supplements are not needed. Heart provides the taurine cats need, that's why it takes up approximately half of Natasha's diet.

But if you cannot find heart, I wouldn't recommend feeding all raw to a cat without taurine spray. Cats cannot produce taurine naturally like dogs can, and it's absolutely essential for survival.

80% meat
10% bone
5% liver
5% heart (occasionally other organs)

Good luck with those strays!kitty
[notify]

Hazel

Everything's- copacetic

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 5:46pm PST 
Yes, Natasha is right. Raw meat is chock full of taurine, especially heart and gizzards. The reason that it is supplemented in commercial canned food is that the heat of cooking destroys the taurine, (as well as other nutrients).

So if you can afford to feed the boys in the alley raw, too, then go for it! BTW - That's awfully generous of you. I have enough on my hands feeding my three raw. smile
[notify]

♥Fettuccini♥

Cute Baby!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 5:53pm PST 
okay good!
Thanks Natasha thanks Hazel.
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 6:25pm PST 
Sure thing!

Feel free to post or paw mail if you'd like any more help!wave