GO!

Eating Raw and Kibble?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 10:00am PST 
Rasha and Cheetah have always been on a good diet (except when Rasha was young and I didn't know better) They eat Orijen dry food and many many good brands of wet food. At the pet store yesterday I decided to pick up a bag of Nature's Variety pre packed raw nuggets and give them a try. I have never done this before and have wanted to for a long time. I have heard that eating kibble and raw at the same time can cause illness because the bacteria grows on the kibble while in the stomach? My main question is do I have to feed raw one meal and canned/kibble for another? Or can They eat raw and then if they are still hungry eat some canned or kibble? I just don't want to mess things up and them get sick. Any info you have will be appreciated! Thanks!! kitty
[notify]

Apricot- (Never- Forgoten)

Bounjour!

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 2:31pm PST 
I need the same infomation I was gonna ask that same question.
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Tue Oct 23, '07 4:15pm PST 
Hi Rasha! You're such a pretty cat!
First I'd like to congratulate you on eating such good kibbles!
Second, let's quickly go over the questions you asked:

I have heard that eating kibble and raw at the same time can cause illness because the bacteria grows on the kibble while in the stomach?

Since raw food and kibble (no matter what brand of processed food) digest at different rates, this indeed can cause bacterial infections inside of a cat's stomach. That is why they should never be fed together.

My main question is do I have to feed raw one meal and canned/kibble for another?

Yes, you do. They should not be fed at the same meal because of the reason stated above.

Or can They eat raw and then if they are still hungry eat some canned or kibble?

Why would they still be hungry? If you feed them a whole raw meal, they should be just fine.

Good luck! We hope you switch to all raw soon if it works out. Feel free to paw mail me if you'd like, I'd love to try and help you out!kitty
[notify]