GO!

Is Raw Food OK for kitties that have crystals?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Monroe Meow

Time to make the- biscuits on the- blanket

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '07 3:08pm PST 
I recently found out I have crystals in my urine. Mommy wants me healthy, but the doctor put me on C/D which is a wet food with all yuckie by-products!!!Oh my!!! Is a raw food diet better for me?
[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Mon Sep 10, '07 8:25am PST 
YES! It is most definatley better for you! C/D has been formulated for specific nutrient levels etc etc, but they use garbage ingredients to get there. A fresh, raw diet made from truly healthy foods would be much more supportive of your urinary system.

If I were you, I'd look around for a vet who is more knowledgable on raw. It may be difficult, but having a vet on your side is SO much more helpful. When I was having bladder infections, my vet helped mum figure out which meats and other ingredients would be more supportive of my system than others.
[notify]

Hazel

Everything's- copacetic

Purred: Tue Sep 11, '07 5:06pm PST 
I'll second that! I had crystals while I was eating kibble. But since I switched to raw, that has all cleared up!

Even if you don't go with raw, DO NOT go back to kibble. Even mainstream vets are discovering that cats cannot drink enough water on kibble to keep their kidneys healthy. Most cats on kibble live in a constant state of dehydration.

If you cat won't accept raw food, then go canned!
[notify]

Kaiser

Kaiser- if it moves, it- will be caught

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '07 11:53am PST 
GREAT question! I too am curious. Mom is looking at Nature's Variety frozen medallions as well as the canned food. The canned food- Instinct- is grain free. I have had several issues and mom is determined to get me the healthiest food.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Sep 16, '07 11:47am PST 
Meow - absolutely!

I had crystals and blood in my urine many years ago and went as far as surgery to find out what was going on in my urinary system. When we changed to a holistic/homeopathic vet, he recommended raw, saying that food is the best medicine. I've been eating it ever since and haven't had any problems.

That said, it's always good to read up on nutrition or consult a knowledgeable vet before making changes, especially if you have a pre-existing condition.
[notify]

Monroe Meow

Time to make the- biscuits on the- blanket

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 2:53am PST 
My sister & I gained weight on this C/D food that was prescribed to us by the vet! It has corn & rice in it! Mommy had us on grain free holistic food & now we really like this other one so much better! This is so tough! The vet disagrees with me about the ingredients. He says it's the amount that I am giving them. I wish I could get them to eat raw, but the crystals are caused by the ash & magnesium I understand? Raw is high in this also, isn't it?
[notify]

Hazel

Everything's- copacetic

Purred: Wed Sep 19, '07 11:29am PST 
The "ash" in most commercial foods refers to cooked bones and meat. Raw food is actually very digestible, and while there should be some raw bone in your cat's diet, the "ash" content will actually be lower than many commercial diets.

Many people say it is actually purine that you should avoid when you have a tendency to develop crystals. In that case you should avoid beef and fish, and stick with chicken. Having said that though, Hazel loves beef, and still shows no evidence of developing crystals from it.
[notify]

Fortitude

The world is my- oyster!

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '07 8:51pm PST 
I'm so glad someone asked this question!!! I'm in the same situation...
[notify]