GO!

new to raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Friday- Lucifer

Little Boo,- Airstream Mascot

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '07 10:22am PST 
hi raw foodies!

i've started the wysong optimal health diet and it says that i should be supplementing with fresh, raw foods. i have the early signs of chronic renal failure and have to watch my phosphorus. do you guys know which meats would be best for me to try?

thanks,

fri
[notify]

Pooka

Do the Pooka- Polka!

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 4:04am PST 
Hi Friday Lucifer. Welcome to the raw forum. Have you ever eaten raw food before? Cats, particularly older animals, can be notoriously hard to switch. They may not recognize raw meat as food. So switching over might be a long process.

There are cats here in this forum with CRF who are feeding a raw diet. Perhaps they can help you with the specifics. Where are you guys??

I noticed on your profile that you are being fed Innova dry. You may want to stop feeding any kibble, particularly a high protein /low moisture kibble like Innova. Stick with wet food only during the transition.

Meanwhile have you been over to Yahoo Groups RawCats? There are also many cats with CRF in this group, and they may be able to help you with your question concerning phophorus ratios.
[notify]

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 8:19pm PST 
Hi Pooka,

Thanks for the response! I haven't updated my profile in awhile, but rest assured, I am off the dry food completely, except for a treat or two. I recently tried the Primal frozen raw food (chicken & salmon) and really liked it. I needed some barely cat sprinkled on top to convince me it was good, but I actually ate the whole thing! I'm on day 2, eating a little raw a day now in conjunction with some wysong all meat cans, salmon oil, and call of the wild supplement (which i really don't like so much). You guys have any info on the Primal foods?

Thanks!

Friday
[notify]

Nala

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 9:50pm PST 
Well, here is a link to start

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/atkins-cats.html

An over view:

Foods You AVOID Feeding to Your Cat:

Pork - this is dangerous. While trichinosis may not be as much of a concern these days, it can still cause problems raw.

Fish - raw fish fed in excess can lead to a Thiamin deficiency. Small amount of cooked fish may be feed sparingly as treats, such as sardines. Raw fish may contain some parasites that cats cannot handle, strong as their digestive systems may be.

Blue-green Algae - these supplements are not recommended.

Cod Liver Oil - not recommended as a fatty acid supplement since it can easily lead to a vitamin A and D overdose; unless, no other source of these vitamins, such as liver, is given to the cat.

Raw Egg White - there are many reasons why this is unhealthy. The most important being that it contains avidin which breaks down and destroys the B vitamins.

Rabbit

Minced Meats (and cooked meats) - B vitamins get destroyed in the process. Cooking meat also destroys the digestive enzymes, which in turn makes proper digestion very difficult.

Potatoes, Peas, Cabbage or Corn (Vegetables in general) - allergen or dangerous, lack of digestible nutrients.

Carrots - the vitamin A isn't going to help your cat any because he can't convert it properly.

Citrus Fruits - allergen or dangerous, cats hate the smell.

Chocolate - dangerous and an allergen.

Onions - dangerous because it can cause Heinz-body hemolytic anemia. Onion is also found in baby food and it is often added to enhance the flavor of many foods, so be sure to read the label.

Cooked Fat - a cat's system is not designed to handle cooked meat or fat.

Tuna Meat - use sparingly. It is not a good idea because it can cause very serious vitamin E depletion. Cats can quickly become addicted to the strong flavor and refuse all other foods. However we use it in our recipes at times and when we're in between batches of raw meat mixtures.

Ground Meat from a Grocery Store - possible contamination from grinders.

Flaxseed and Vegetable Oils - from a vegetable source.

Foods You CAN Feed Your Cat:

Chicken.
Lamb.
Turkey, Pheasant, Cornish Hen and Duck.
Bone Meal - do not purchase it at a garden supply store meant as fertilizer. This type of bone meal is not food grade and is of low quality, often contaminated with heavy metals. Watch how much you use and avoid overdosing.
Gelatin - provides a unique blend of amino acids.
Egg Yolk - contains all of the essential amino and fatty acids needed by the cat. It presents a rich source for vitamins and trace minerals. Egg yolk represents the most complete and concentrated nutrition available in the animal kingdom.
Salmon Oil - rich with Omega 3 fatty acids and it's the most concentrated source of Omega 3 fatty acids.
Garlic - helps to fight fleas.
Apple Cider Vinegar - a teaspoon in food each day may also help to repel fleas (but our cats prefer garlic).
Organ Meats - heart, liver, giblets, gizzards and kidneys. On a regular basis, they will help in enhancing variety. We don't use organ meats much, though.
Colloidal Minerals - containing over 70 natural minerals, preferably in unflavored liquid form (Health food and supplement stores).
Psyllium Husk Powder - unflavored, for fiber and proper bowel movement. Not necessary, but we use it.
[notify]

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '07 9:23am PST 
Hi and thanks for that great list!

Questions:

Friday loves the canned Liver from Wysong. It is cooked. Is this ok?

We also have a can of Rabbit that he has not tried yet...should we not feed him that? I would think cats might catch bunnies in the wild...

The frozen raw food we bought from Primal has a formula of chicken & salmon and then beef and salmon. Do you think we should aim for a food that doesn't have fish in it?

Purrs in health,

Friday
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Thu Sep 6, '07 5:49pm PST 
I have been eating rabbit since a year and a half ago. It's the kind of protein my first homeopath recommended. It's also said to be the best kind of protein for cats. I started off eating Wysong Au Ju Rabbit. 2 months later my staffs switched me completely to raw rabbit. Now I'm rotating between rabbit, chicken, turkey, and occasionally beef chunks and chicken necks.

I didn't like Call of the Wild much, either. I used to be on all kinds of supplements until we realized that it was actually too much for my liver and kidney. My homeopath ordered me to eat only non-medicated raw foods (no supplement at all), probiotic, and something called NuCat for Senior. It’s a complete supplement that’s recommended by many homeopaths. I’ve been doing great on this diet.

I’ve heard different opinions about fish and seafood. I have read it somewhere that you should not mix two proteins together in one meal. It makes sense to me. Maybe you should try something without fish. It doesn’t hurt to drop it from your diet anyway.

Good luck! wave
[notify]

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Fri Sep 7, '07 10:43pm PST 
Hey Nemo!

So, I looked up the Phosphorus level in the Rabbit all meat cans from Wysong and it is pretty high, so I don't think I should eat it. Do you have to watch your levels too?

Right now, I am eating the Primal Beef & Salmon and the Primal Chicken & Salmon Raw Frozen foods. I love them and look forward to my raw morning feast! I am up to 2 oz. a day and seem to be adjusting well. I have this with a supplement from "celestial cats" which has enzymes & probiotics in it. My mom thinks it will help me transition to raw. The amount of salmon in each formula is only 5%, so I guess it should be ok. Maybe its just there for flavor? They make 2 other flavors - venison & pheasant -without fish - but I can't seem to find out the phosphorus levels in those foods yet.

Lunch & Dinner are either the Wysong All Meat Cans - (beef or chicken) with some call of the wild supplement, OR the Archeype food which is dehydrated and you add water to it. The latter is kinda high in phosphorus so I try not to eat it everyday, but man, I really dig it.

I also get Barley Cat Greens sprinkled on my food when I am being too finiky. I can't resist that stuff.

I am looking for some other good food options as we make the transition to raw.

I am also concerned that your doc said you were on too many supplements. Maybe I need to go see the holisitc vet in town to talk about all this! I do know though that he prescribes alot of herbs and supplements too so it might be a lost cause!

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome and appreciated!

Purrs,

Fri
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Sat Sep 8, '07 10:21am PST 
Hey Friday Lucifer wave

I don't need to watch my Phosphorus level. I just need to make sure that my immune system stays strong. That's why I'm taking NuCat Senior even though I'm still young. I was diagnosed FIV+ 20 months ago when my staffs first got me. They tried all kinds of foods, supplements, and a couple of homeopaths. This past May I was actually tested negative for FIV!!!! They think my diet (and homeopath) played a huge part in this good news.

I tried Archetype, too, but can't say I'm crazy about it. They haven't given me that since I puked it out last time. Do switch very, very slowly, Friday Lucifer.

Sorry I don't know what food is good for renal failure. But what I found out from my experience (following different diets and methods) is that, every kitty is different so it’s important to find out what you need for your specific condition. If your humans don’t mind the bills, I’d say seeing a homeopath is your best option.

Try to find a homeopath with traditional vet training. In Canada, a homeopath can not legally treat a patient without the referral from a traditional vet. They need to work together but that doesn’t always work out. A homeopath with traditional vet medicine knowledge can also tell when to treat with traditional medicine and when to treat homeopathically.

Actually, most homeopaths don’t prescribe a lot of herbs and supplements. Your homeopath will make tiny little pearl looking things specific to your condition. Those little pearl things wake your body up so your body will start healing itself. It’s important to find a good homeopath with real homeopathy trainings. They make a HUGE difference. A good homeopath not only look after your health but also your soul and mental health. They’ll even talk to your humans about THEIR problems that may affect your dispositions and stress level.

Feel free to pmail me if you would like to know more about my experience with homeopaths and different diets.

Good luck, Friday Lucifer. I wish you the best!!!
way to goway to goway to goway to goway to go
[notify]

Lizzie

I LOVE OREO!!!

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '07 2:41pm PST 
hi! Nala, thanks for that post. Mommy's looking to start feeding me home cooked raw meals. i liked Nala's thing, it's great! but mommy's wondering on specifics on changing from dry store bought Meow Mix, to wet, homecooked yummy meals. how do you change? and does anybody have any good recipes for mommy to use? thanks a million ya'll!
[notify]

Friday- Lucifer

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '07 7:44pm PST 
Thanks so much Nemo! Its nice to have some support here!

I don't think the vet in town is a homeopath, I do know he specializes in Chinese Medicine. I will keep my eyes out for somebody good! If you have any lists of homeopathic vets please let me know.

Purrs,

Friday
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2