GO!

Help! -raw diet NOT helping cat with IBD

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Tommy

\

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '07 1:01pm PST 
After years of trying everything, this was my last resort. I bought a grinder and all the stuff and made a batch of raw food hoping it would be the miracle for Tommy. However, a month later of only raw food, his stools are still liquid and bloody. He is healthy as a horse, accdg to all the tests . The only thing we haven't done is biopsies, which I am delaying (I'd rather not put him thru it). Next stop- ZD diet. Does anyone have a suggestion. He doesn't vomit - just has these liquid stools that seemingly won't be helped. (He doesn't take pred - he used to, but it doesn't help, either)
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sat Aug 25, '07 3:54pm PST 
Raw diets for pets that suffer from IBD are a very bad idea- to put that much harmful bacteria into their system is way too overwhelming for long periods of time.

I'd go with the food that the vet says is best- or homecooking. Do what works for your cat. If raw isn't working for your cat- then how could it possibly be the best diet for them?

smile Good luck.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Aug 26, '07 6:30am PST 
Meow, Tommy-

I've had some runny poo issues once or twice, and there's a good natural remedy -- slippery elm bark, which your person can get at a natural food store. It's a powder that's well known in the natural health community as a good aid for the digestive system. It's perfectly okay for kitties to have -- I learned about this from my veterinarian.

Here are some instructions on how to prepare it: Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Stir it up with a fork. Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days. Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea.

(source is Anitra Frasier's book, as quoted on this web site: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=s lipperyelm

My human made it this way for me, and instead of giving it to me by spoon or syringe (yuck), she let me lick it off her hand or put it on top of my food. It doesn't taste bad, and it does work.
I hope this helps. Like you, I eat raw food -- have been for 3.5 years, and only had those two reactions, really far apart.

Edited by author Sun Aug 26, '07 6:31am PST

[notify]

Brucey- Bruce-In- loving- memory

Purred: Tue Aug 28, '07 1:20pm PST 
Because IBD is a combination of symptoms clumped together as a disease, it's not always easily solvable.

I was diagnosed with IBD over four years ago. I had a strictly allopathic vet at the time who presribed kitty prozac of varying strengths to all IBD kitties along with a prescription diet. Doped up and living on bland food? My people didn't think that placed my quality of life very high.

My people took me down another route. I saw a vet who practiced a variety of alternative modalities, but also included allopathic care. Slowly (mostly by my stubbornness), I transitioned to a fully raw diet. This diet was developed with the help of this alternative care vet. This diet has been the only answer for my particular condition. I now eat a raw ground meal as well as the occassional chicken neck or chicken foot. I've thrived on it for years now.

As for the slippery elm bark, my people haven't had to use it for me but they have used it for my big, furry dog. When my dog had some minor tummy issues, the bark gruel worked well.

Other things to consider may be probiotics and digestive enzymes.

A visit with an alternative care vet may be in order as well. They are usually quite supportive of and informative for a home made diet, be it raw or cooked. A vet who practices Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and/or acupuncture should be considered. You may be able to find someone via the search function on the AHVMA's website.

Hope you get better soon.
[notify]