GO!

Need tips for a picky eater

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

♥- Mina- ♥

you may kiss my- paws now

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '07 10:44am PST 
Mina's mom here:

So here's the deal...I've been feeding our 3 cats wet food only for the past month to prepare them for the switch to raw food. They love the wet food only diet. No problems there. Been doing that for about a month.

Now I bought the powder mix from feline future and made a batch. I've been slowly mixing it in with their wet food. Right now it's about 25% raw, 75% canned. The two boys will eat it. I can tell they don't really like it, but they'll eat it because they're starving. Mina, on the other hand, won't touch it. If her wet food has the slightest bit of raw and she smells it in there, she'll just walk away.

I've let her go without eating breakfast and lunch, but at dinner time, I'll cave and give her a bowl of canned food (this is after she's walked away from the mixed food for a 3rd time). It's like she'd rather starve than eat any raw. I've tried putting a bit of the mixed food on my finger, but she just looks at me like I'm crazy. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Right now I switched back to feeding her canned food only and I'm putting her in a separate room. But the boys can smell her food and have started to wonder over to her bowl. I'm not worried about the boys stealing her food and leaving her with nothing because they're scared of her. But will they stop eating their mixed food?
[notify]

Guiness

Tough Blokes- have Tough Cats

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '07 2:35pm PST 
The Guiness refuses to eat any of the expensive pet foods when it comes to wet food. Only the cheapest brands with big chunky pieces interest him. To get the Guiness onto a not breathing raw food the big fella got fish. 4-5 ounce pilchards, tied them onto a fishing rod with a bit of tape stuck from the tail to the line(quick release style) and made a game out of it. The Guiness quickly released that food caught is fun and the Guiness didn't notice when the big fella just started leaving it on the back porch. It's an instinctive thing. Just a thought.
[notify]

Pooka

Do the Pooka- Polka!

Purred: Fri Aug 24, '07 11:21am PST 
That's a great idea, Guiness! I could see where "moving prey" might spark a cat to chomp down on something he was reluctant to try. Hmmm - gotta dig out my fishin' pole... big grin
[notify]