GO!

BUN and creatinine levels in raw fed cats

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 9:59am PST 
Nya, you may me more educated on me in the raw diets than I.
I trust my science and training and veterinarians right now.
I do not believe or have not read and did some research that a high protein diet causes kidney disease. There is no proof as of yet that I know of. I personally do not want my cat on any higher protein than 30%. Too much of anything is not good. Kidney disease is high on the list for cats. I do not like raw in general as I have seen cases of salmonella too many times in cats at the clinics. It could have been from uneducated people hopping on the raw trend bus.
Cats may start with kidney disease early too. I suggest screening for it about 6 years of age. I would suggest a cat on high protein or raw diets get kidney values checked earlier.
This is a tough subject and I may just have to bow out and leave it for the raw folks. I do not follow trend when it comes to my animals, maybe cell phone and computers, but unless the scientific facts are out and long term, I am sticking with low protein for my domestic cats.
smile
Vet tech 12 years
Cathealthnurse.blogspot.com
[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '07 4:25pm PST 
I don't follow trends either. I stick with nature wink

Most raw diets are not as high protein as most would think, as meat is not 100% protein. Add in your veggies and suppliments (if using them) and it brings it down further.
[notify]

Pooka

Do the Pooka- Polka!

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '07 6:56am PST 
Agreed, Nya. A raw diet is not a high protein diet. Your average cut of muscle meat contains 21 percent protein, 73 percent water, 5 percent fat, and 1 percent ash (the mineral component of muscle). Feeding raw is NOT feeding 100% protein!

It is, however, feeding 0% fillers, grains, and additives. If that's a fad, get me on the bandwagon!!
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Fri Aug 17, '07 4:00pm PST 
Going off the topic a little, but I read somewhere that moths are about 45% protein. I'm not raw fed, but I do love eating moths.
[notify]

Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '07 4:03pm PST 
Guess folks want there domestic cats feeling like they are in the wild!
To eaches own for sure. wave
Guess its a vet tech thing, most i know who have seen the illness from raw foods in cats disagree with them totally. Some cats were very lucky and some not so very lucky.
Why not cook the meat? I guess that is not good for the nutrients i guess.

Edited by author Sat Aug 18, '07 4:04pm PST

[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '07 5:22pm PST 
Luna, I know many vets and techs who support raw feeding (and I've talked to some who raw feed themselves). If a vet has taken their nutritional education beyond what they were taught in school by Hills and similar food companies, I respect their opinion, otherwise, they've got more learning to do.

Feeding raw meat to an obligate carnivore who's system is designed to digest and handle it, is safe. Handle meat as you would your own (safe handling practices are essential for any meat, wether it's being fed to the family, or the pets).

Why feed dry processed chemically treated kibble made of by-products and grains to an animal that's built to eat meat?
[notify]

Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '07 5:47pm PST 
Nya, I respect your opinion. I stated my opnion and feelings on this issue as well as my veterinarian who is well educated. I will stick with my facts and you yours.
You are well versed on this. I speak from clients who cats were half dead due to improper training of raw or cooked meat and adding the proper vitamins and minerals. Its a serious issue, very serious.
What i feed my cats is balance and does not have by products.
Also, several vets I know would argue with what is wrong with a by product anyhow, a cat in the wild will eat head, feet, beaks and hearts. They sure do not get prime raw food.
As I said I respect your opnion and I have a good opinion as well from the vet tech side of saving cats lives.
This is a true controversial subject and I am not up for debate anymore.
I do hope you offer help to the people who are new to this area of feeding andhelp them help their cats.wink
[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '07 6:25pm PST 
I understand you're not looking for debate, and I only have one point to make. You mention the cats you've seen suffer ill effects of improperly balanced or poorly prepared raw diets. But how many cats come into any given clinic DAILY suffering from diabetes, obesiety, urinary tract problems, heart disease, digestive problems, allergies, dental problems, ear infections, thyroid problems, etc. etc. who's diet of low quality kibble isn't given a second thought?

It is very serious indeed when people don't take the time to feed their cats properly. In either spectrum of diet. Most kibbles leads to just as many serious health problems as an improperly researched raw diet may. I have no problem with those who feed high quality (by-product free, low grain, etc.) kibble that they have researched and chosen because they KNOW what they're feeding. What I object to is ignorance.
[notify]

Luna

Don't ignore me!

Purred: Sat Aug 18, '07 6:55pm PST 
Sure I have seen many cats with all the diseases mentioned from feeding fancy feast and the like. There are plenty of bad diets and plenty of good diets. This post was on bun and creatinine and raw diets so i did not mention the other. Sure ignorance can kill.

I educate on what I know and through expereince and tried and true methods. Plus I learn through the experience of many of the veterinarians I have worked for.

I have also seen male cats block from horrible diets and they are treated and put on urinary diets through science diet and purina. sure, alot of people frown and science diet, but I will tell you I have never seen a make cat block again including my own years back from eating c/d or s/d or royal canins s/o.
I could go on forever with this.

Again ignorance kills, either feeding a bad raw diet or a bad dry diet.

Pass on what you know and I will do the same and maybe people can make an educated choice.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2