GO!

~THE BOYS REFUSE THE RAW SO HERE'S A LIST OF HEALTHY FOODS I'VE FOUND THEM! I HOPE IT HELPS YOU ALL~

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥- KODY- ♥

I HAD AN ONLINE- LOVE AFFAIR

Purred: Wed Jul 25, '07 9:42am PST 
big grin Hiya!! big grin
Greetings to all Catsters on a kittyHealthy-Food-4-Our-Furkids-Quest! A treacherous journey to say the least, no? Lol!
I've been trying to get my kidz on RAW but they're sooo angry & on a hunger strike now....so I had to cave & give them Fancy Feast again!! (but just for 5 more days) I've been searching for weeks for a different option. I have had to keep the pet-food-recall lists on hand and narrow my choices down over & over, then I checked with each individual company I was interested in to make certain they had no recalled foods. I even called one.
Finally, I have found 3 companies I feel good about, regarding great nutritional content as well as no grains, no wheat or corn or rice gluten, etc. as well as none of them has ever been recalled. I have thoroughly checked them out.

I ordered "Wellness" brand cans and the "Wellness CORE" dry kibble. It's on special right now for a #2 lb. sample sized bag for $7.49. Raw is best but these cans & dry I got look to be the next best thing, nutritionally.
I even ordered them cans of rabbit, from "Nature's Variety" & it contains 95% rabbit meat!! Lol the boys are (hopefully) gonna love it! I spent LESS on all this than what I usually spend at Walmart for food that isn't nutritionally sound by any means. It's horribly stressful trying to find safe foods for our beloved kids! I have been a wreck, desperately searching and have spent almost all my time online, reading up on all this stuff & doing research until my eyeballs are bleedin! Lol! I just ordered all this food this morning after I finally completed my weeks long research and should receive it in about 5 days.

I got a total of #2 lbs. dry "Wellness" CORE grain-free -kibble, and a case of "Natures Variety" canned rabbit, 12 /5.5 oz. cans, 2 cases of "Wellness, 24/3 oz. cans, (1 of Land Lovers Variety Pack and one of Surf & Turf Variety Pack, 24/3 oz. cans), and a case of "Instinctive Choice" cans, 24/ 3 oz. cans, totalling 84 cans in all plus #2 lbs. dry for $115.34 including the shipping, which was about $12.00 to ship the "Instinctive Choice" (I had to order it from the company) and $14.44 S&H for the "Wellness" & "Nature's Variety". (Got them both from PetFoodDirect.com.) We spend much more locally for food so it was a good deal online.(especially if they like it! Keep ur paws crossed!! Lol!)
"Instinctive Choice" is a great food from "Healthy Pet Net" but they only have one flavor in the cans & a type of kibble that has grains & wheat added that I did NOT get, I just got the cans, and the boys got tired of it right away the last time I bought it, so I only got one case of that. I order it directly from the company and it cost about 12 bucks to ship which was way too spendy, considering the food was only $20.00!!
I had purchased raw gourmet meat, (cornish hen, duck, chicken & turkey)LOTS of it & it will sit in my freezer unless I figure out something to do with it cuz the boys refuse to touch it! Lol! The lil twerps not only refuse & got hissed off, they have staged a revolt and are laying a HUGE guilt trip on me! Lol! Well, they WIN on the RAW (I can't bear those little faces peering at me balefully, tears squeezing out....yeah, the tears are mine!) but they're gonna get the healthiest canned I can get if it kills me! Lolol! I hope this might help lotsa others that don't have the time or resources to research like crazy. So goooood luck to all of you that have been on a healthy-food quest for your fur kids!!!
Havva great week!
Purrs & headbutts!!!
big grinkitty

Edited by author Wed Jul 25, '07 9:56am PST

[notify]

Nala

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '07 10:03pm PST 
My girl liked Instinct and Wellness so far... but she is starting to eat the NV medallions... I am trying to go raw with her, but it is not as easy as with the dogs... so I may have to go high grade kibble / canned as well.. so thanks.. but I am still trying for raw smile Dogs are doing great! I want the best for Nala too.. just can't get her to do the bone thing... not sure she will give in to it...
[notify]

Max

The Gentle Giant

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '07 11:50pm PST 
Thanks for doing all the research Kody! Mom checked out the website you mentioned. These are prices we can live with. So thanks again! dancing
[notify]

KIRBY-IN- LOVING- MEMORY

I AM KING KIRBY

Purred: Wed Aug 29, '07 7:04am PST 
Hi All!
Update on the boys with the new food....Wellll, lol, Kirby loves almost all of it, especially the rabbit...and including the kibble, but Kody absolutely refuses it! I've tried everything & he was on such a terrible hunger strike I caved & got him "Fancy Feast" and now Kirby's nibbling at that & his bowels are acting up badly again! AArrgghh!! I TRY to make them eat in separate rooms but eventually, Kirby finds Kody's food. If I don't leave food for them, tantrums ensue! They're both still mad at me about taking away the "Temptations" that I think made them sick...Man they are SO good at guilting me! Lol! So....just doing my best....hoping that someday Kody will change his mind. In the meantime, I'm going to begin adding "Probiotics" to their food.
How are all of you doing with the diets?? I'd love to know!!!!
Hugs & purrs
wavedancing
[notify]

Piper

Squeaker the- mini cat

Purred: Fri Aug 31, '07 4:20pm PST 
Hi! Piper's mom here- it can be really hard to transition your furry kids to raw food, but it's worth persevering.
Piper and Phoebe have eaten raw from day 1, but our previous fur babies were transitioned after 8 years!!! It took a lot of patience, and trial and error because they were addicted to the dry foodfrown
Initially I added a bit of canned, then phased out the dry altogether.
Next I mixed some raw with the canned and eventually phased the canned out.
It was tough, but the reward was softer, shinier fur, and very happy kitties who would eat only raw- as nature intended. Good luck, and please don't give up!!! Your kitties will love you for it!!kitty
[notify]

Pooka

Do the Pooka- Polka!

Purred: Sat Sep 1, '07 7:56pm PST 
I'm glad I don't have to mess with all those cans and bags anymore. Pooka started on raw at 6 weeks, and Sister Hazel has come around and relishes her raw food.

Keep trying! Don't give up. Your kitties will be better for it.
[notify]

JAZZPURR- M-CAT BASS - -

Bring It On

Purred: Sun Sep 2, '07 7:40pm PST 
I know how you feel..FF has been outlawed in our house. TBG doesn't believe in raw food for kittens. We are indoor cats...so she is actually cooking for us..you can read about her chicken and rice escapades in my diary. The Queen In Art comes in handy. TBG is a professional woman who works retail hours, so for her to take the time to cook is not easy. But we have tried Wellness, and hate it!

We like Solid Gold Tuna, Empire Kosher Chicken boiled andserved with Tuna water and a little rice. We also eat Nutro Dry. KITTEN size food for sensitive stomachs. It's exhausting, but our energy level is unmatched and our coats look beautiful! And no loose poops!
[notify]

Logan

I'm a nutball.

Purred: Sun Sep 9, '07 3:04pm PST 
We eat Innova Evo because it is the dry/wet food equivalent of raw food. No grains and made for obligate carnivores like us. We love it...it's yummmy yummy yummy. Mommy always tells us that we deserve the best and since she has no time to make raw food she researched cat foods and found us what she says is the best one. We also eat a lot less of this food because we don't need to eat so much to get our neccesary requirements.

She says you can check out ingredients and nutrient analysis here: http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?panel=in&id=1500
[notify]

Matisse

Flirt and Run

Purred: Tue Sep 18, '07 9:29am PST 
Hello everyone! Our family has just started to transition to a grain free food. Mom eventually wants to go raw, but we are very stubborn. It's like eating fast food for 8 years and then someone taking it away and making you eat cardboard. We admit it.... we are addicted. Mom is currently just mixing half IAMS / half Wellness. We didn't like the NV - Instinct at all. Way too crumbly and no flavor at all. Wet food is out of the question at this time. Mom seems very determined. Wish us luck smile

Edited by author Tue Sep 18, '07 9:30am PST

[notify]

Nala

Purred: Mon Oct 1, '07 7:52pm PST 
I am not completely raw yet, but so much closer. I have given up some of my finickiness finally though. I have eaten salmon, mackeral, chicken hearts, ground turkey, beef stew meat, pork brains (mom says yuck), NV medallions (for the boney meat... I won;'t eat a bone in meat yet) and goat. I also get Evo as a dry food, becuase I do like to graze throughout the day... and get a raw meal or canned grain free instinct nightly. I used to only pick at these, but the more I watch the dogs, the more I want what they are having and I beg for it now. I don;t alwasy eat it, but I check it out and have a few bites. I usually eat it all after it has been introduced a few times though.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2