GO!

Weirdest raw question ever

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Todd

Attention- Deficit Disorder- victim.

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '07 5:16pm PST 
big grin Thanks everyone!

I agree Nya, mice ARE real prey and raw is doing exactly what Natasha does get the chance to do, hunt and eat REAL prey.kitty

The raw diet is an attempt to simulate that for cats who aren't able to live naturally.kitty
[notify]

Tom

Why am I awake?

Purred: Sun Jul 1, '07 10:52pm PST 
Personally, since Tom is a strict outside cat, I think mice are some of the best raw food choices out there. Tom eats all of them (fur, liver, you name it) and he is the healthiest outside cat I have ever met. Second, diseases from mice are uncommon in cats who eat mice, as only about 1 out of 100 cats catch them.
[notify]

Luca

The Fuzz Face

Purred: Mon Jul 2, '07 10:12pm PST 
Last year I found a place full of mice and brought one home everyday, many sizes, and ate some of them. I use to always catch birds, squirrels, chipmunks, moles, and mice. And then one day mommy begged me to stop hunting becuase she doesn't like to see me eating the poor animals. She really doesn't want me hunting down squirrels because of what happened to Arlene.

But I was the master hunter here and I don't like to make mommy sad, so I stopped my hunting. One time she fought with me to save a baby squirrel I had in my mouth. It wasn't her best idea (I'm agressive when it comes to my prizes) but she did anything to save him and release him. Yeah I was upset about it, but then I understood later after she apologized to me. And what gets her the most is we have bell collars. But mommy is careful with us and diseases.

I think I'll start my hunting again soon, at the right time for my hunting season to start again big grin
[notify]

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Tue Jul 3, '07 9:49am PST 
Just don't let any pregnant ladies clean the litterbox and you'll be okay. :3

♥Ahab- ♥

Donations of- love are always- welcome!

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '07 3:24pm PST 
As a side note, Joey did NOT almost die from raw. This was supported by his vet, who is not much of a raw supporter.

Joey had an existing condition that was exacerbated by a raw diet.

IMO, a raw diet can work for every healthy animal. Special considerations need to be made for an unwell animal.

This has been discussed in one of my groups lately. Nature naturally culls unhealthy individuals from the population of potential breeding animals.

It has been discussed whether animals that are not able to thrive with a raw diet and require a kibble or home cooked alternative would be those who, without human intervention, would be naturally selected amongst those in the population who are destined to be culled so as they can not pass down illness through genetic lines to future generations.

However, luckily, dogs like Joey do have humans that care for them and are willing to try to promote their optimal health. This being said, a raw diet for Joey may have to be differently constructed than the 80-10-10 generic formulae most prey model raw feeders use to determine the meat: bone: organ ratio in their companion animals' diets.

Perhaps for Joey, a kibble or home cooked diet would be better. If I had the struggle with my pets' health that Joey's person has gone through with his, I would really try to find a raw supportive vet to help me guide my pet back to health, or I would consider a high quality kibble or home cooked. The decision really depends on the resources one has available to them.

In regards to the rodents, I'm thinking of picking up some humanely euthanized mice for my kitties. I feel as though it's about as species appropriate as you can get for a cat.

wink
[notify]

Nala

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '07 10:00pm PST 
how often does she catch and eat them? If it was once in a while I wouldn't worry, but I might if it happened often. Wild mice can carry diseases.. granted no one in the neighborhood uses pesticides, but I personally would be concerned it if happened too often... not much you can DO about it, but i am not a fan of having cats live outside in general. A lot of that has to do with the type of neighborhood I live in (many stray cats, most which are sickly looking) and the fact that I just find it rude that people let their cats roam through people's yards... if it wa sa dog, people would scream about it.. the neighborhood cats managed to kill one of my gardens and and my neighbors outdoor cat used my car as a scratching post (I caught her in the act at lease once) ... but i think you live in a more rural area than I do...

Fortunately a great neighbor caught all the free roaming cats and brought them to the shelter for to be altered so the population is finally dwindling... (It was REALLY bad here... why do people let unaltered cats roam outside?)

Call me paranoid, but my cat only goes outside on a leash! I leash my dogs, I leash my cat....

but that is just me smile not trying to offend...
[notify]

♥Eart- ha- Kitty&hearts- ;

Kitty diva- extraordinaire!

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 10:30pm PST 
I would say that for the most part, I wouldn't be concerned about whether it was "good" or not.

If your neighborhood is truly organic (which would be spectacularly impressive), then my concern would not be of chemical contamination.

I would be concerned, however, that live prey represents an additional risk of internal parasites.

I try to freeze all wild caught prey for around a month before feeding it, just to make sure that the parasites are killed.

If this feeding habit is something that you would rather not interfere with, my best suggestions would be to get fecals frequently, to make sure that your belly isn't under assault from worms!
[notify]

Cleo

The fishier the- tastier!

Purred: Tue Aug 7, '07 6:12pm PST 
My person started breeding feeder mice for me when the pet food scare started. I get about two a week and I eat them entirely, head first. I see the mice as food and limit my play time to around 2-5 minutes, just to make sure they are really fresh and lively before I eat them.

The mice are from pet store feeder mouse stock, so they are for people to feed to snakes, etc. Because the mice are from a captive strain, they likely don't have wild mouse parasites or infectious agents. I hunt every day so there's little my person can do to keep me completely safe, and I have no intention of changing my ways.

My person works pretty hard to keep me satisfied, with weekly mouse cage cleanings (four cages in all), supervised breeding, sexing of litters and required separation of genders, feeding of mice, etc. My mice are grain fed, but not free range, or organic! wink

The other plus to this arrangement is that I get to watch the mice play in their terrariums. This is especially exciting and much more interesting than the television my person sometimes stares at.

My yardmate, Mittonius, is stupid and will only play with the mice. She prefers to hunt and eat birds. Still, when I have a mouse, she will get in my face and piss me off royally.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2