GO!

Weirdest raw question ever

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sat Jun 23, '07 1:37pm PST 
So, Natasha is an indoor/outdoor cat and she hunts very often, about half of her diet (non intentionally) is rats and mice.

She eats all of it except for the stomach, intestines, and nose.

None of my neighbors use poisons or chemicals. We're an all organic street.

Does this count as raw? Is this doing her good?

Thanks
[notify]

Jabba the- Cat

PURRPURRPURR

Purred: Sat Jun 23, '07 2:17pm PST 
YOu need to be careful about them eating mice, while it is raw technically, mice also carry transmutable diseases like toxoplasma. Also if a neighbor uses rat poison your cat will also be ingesting that poison. As far as leaving certain parts I dont know what that is about - my cats growign up both ate mice -one would eat the whole thing and the other would leave half of it - it's just their way.
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sat Jun 23, '07 2:42pm PST 
No. None of the neighbors ever use poison. We all own cats and are concerned for eachother.

But germs are the risk you take when feeding raw anyways right? Joey (dog) almost died from it, but he has IBD.

But will the meat giver her protein and stuff?

Does it truly count as raw? Raw is supposed to be as close as real prey right?laugh out loud
[notify]

Jabba the- Cat

PURRPURRPURR

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 1:15pm PST 
It is raw but it's not ideal raw, I think it more fulfills her preying instinct than having anythign to do with her being hungry. I mention toxo because my cat Jabba has it from when she was a stray eating mice. I would just be cautious about that - there are prob other undesirable things cats can catch from eating mice as well...

As far as getting toxo from raw food - it depends on the quality of the food - generally in industrialized nations there is a low possibility of catching toxo from raw meat, but there is always a slim chance - toxo has been found in chickens for example - but the stock was destroyed and they are supposed to test regularly.. That's all I know about toxo - thank my vet for that!
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 6:17pm PST 
Thanks Jabba.

I'm glad Natasha can fulfill her preying roots.
I will secure her indoors when she becomes geriatric, but for now, she is very happy and only goes outside for 4-7 hours a day.

She is truly a lucky cat. You are too, your coat is so pretty!cheer
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 7:09pm PST 
If you are eating mice or birds on a regular basis, then it is probably a good idea to get treated for tapeworms on occasion. These animals are carriers of tapeworms (along with fleas) and any regular hunter should get regular treatments.

Purrs!
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 9:57pm PST 
Don't worry Hunter, she's on preventative.wink

Thanks for the concern.big grin
[notify]

Outta

Meow

Purred: Wed Jun 27, '07 2:40pm PST 
Are you sure that she's eating the mice? When I was a working cat , I just played with them. Never even took a bite.thinking
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Fri Jun 29, '07 3:23pm PST 
100% sure.big grin
[notify]

Nya - In loving- memory

Princess- extrordinaire!

Purred: Sat Jun 30, '07 9:15pm PST 
"It is raw but it's not ideal raw, I think it more fulfills her preying instinct than having anythign to do with her being hungry"

I completley disagree with this comment... mice are the ideal prey, and what a raw diet is trying to acheive or simulate as best as possible. I know of many raw feeders who BUY feeder mice or frozen pinks (baby mice/rats) for their cats to eat. The only thing not ideal is that the mice your cat is catching are wild, and the risk of worms and poisons is already being adressed, so you're fine!

Toxoplasmosis is present in MOST raw meat from my understanding, not just wild mice. Most cats actually carry this bacteria. (Which is why pregnant women can't clean litterboxes).

Your cat is supplimenting her diet naturally, just keep this in mind when you're deciding how much to feed her at home. You don't want her getting fat wink
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2