GO!

Raw Food Newbie

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Willow

It's all in the- eyes

Purred: Mon Jun 11, '07 11:13am PST 
Hi! After the cat food scare that we had a little while ago, my Mom decided to do something that she's wanted to do for a very long time.

She's taking the dive! She wants to put us kitties on the raw food diet. She's more than willing to make my own once she gets a good grinder and a good recipe; she's just hoping for input, both good and bad and tips and everything else. Any good websites? We've found a couple and have an appointment to talk to my vet (oh no, the vet! mrrrrrow!), but we like to cover all of our bases. Any good brands? Ways to make food without a meat grinder (could she just cut the bones up real small with a cleaver?)?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
[notify]

KarmaSutra

Scratch RIGHT- here!!!

Purred: Mon Jun 11, '07 6:08pm PST 
Yeah!!cheer We're glad you're willing to take the plunge into raw. We've had good luck with it. We've heard(from others) that grinding raw food helps spread and produce bacteria.thinking Something to think about. We have seen alot that do grind their food though. We only got ours ground to help the oldest kitty make the switch off the "kitty crack" This made it easier for meowmy to slip in catamins(kitty vitamins) just to make her feel better about the oldest kitties health. Meowmy still grinds a little bit to slip in our organs. Other than that we are fed prey model raw. The recipe for that is 80% meat 10% bone and 10% organs. We get alot of chicken(bone in) Soon we're getting quail, chukar, and pheasant!dancing We don't have any problems with the bones. If they are too big we just eat the meat off and leave the bones, but mostly we crunch up everything all on our own.(even the old kitty, hers just need to be smaller) We don't like veggies and will pick around them. So meowmy doesn't give them to us. That and she doesn't beleive we need them.(the dogs only get them cause they like to eat them shrug) We don't trust commercial anymore. Tried the NV medallions once! We REFUSED to eat them!silenced We were using a single ingredient canned food but it was involved with the American Nutrition scandal. So now the only canned product we get is Tripett green tripe. We do still trust evangers, but its not readily available here. With the chickens(whole fryers) meowmy just cuts it up like for frying. The legs get cut of the body and then again at the joint. Wings only get cut off the body cause they're so small. then the breast meat gets cut off the bone. And last the body gets cut in half down the side along the ribs. A 3-4lb Fryer feeds all 5 of us kitties for 11/2-2 days. We love elk and duck, but HATED the rabbit fryer.(yet we like baby bunnies). As far as websites check out the rawfedcat group on yahoo. There are also some good links and topics over on dogster's raw food diet forum.
Good Luck! Hope this answers some of your questions.
Karma and the Kitty Krewkitty
[notify]

KharismaOfTh- eUnwanted

What ever Lola- wants Lola gets!

Purred: Mon Jun 11, '07 6:08pm PST 
I had a rough start in my new home. I was severely underweight and very sick. After I was better even with free fed kitten food i still wasn't gaining the weight that I needed to. Now that I'm a raw kitty I'm gaining weight and acting like a kitten. Congrats on thimking about feeding outside the bag!
Rizzy

Edited by author Mon Jun 11, '07 6:15pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 12:31pm PST 
This web site has more info on RAW diets and how to make your own: http://www.catnutrition.org

There are many good brands of RAW food: The Honest Kitchen, Nature's Variety, Primal Pet Foods, Raw Advantage, etc. All are nutrionally complete.

If you choose to make your own, it is very important to make sure that the food has all the nutrients you need. Catnutrition.org has some recipies developed by a vet.
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Jun 17, '07 5:43pm PST 
Remember, too -- you don't have to do the whole grinding routine if you find ways to get the calcium into your recipe. We mix bone meal into our recipe, and it works great.
[notify]

Frosty

Finally my- forever home!

Purred: Thu Jun 21, '07 7:03pm PST 
Another option for raw for those who do not have time to gather up all the supplements and such is this company sells a mix with all this in it and all you add is the ground meat without bones. Its at www.felinefuture.com and if you get the kitten formula you do not have to deal with adding the liver or liver powder either because it is already in the kitten formula. The kitten formula does NOT have the psyllium that the adult formula has so be sure your cat is not prone to or getting constipated as this will help kitties who may be irregular on the raw food diet. Lots of info on this web site about how to transition to raw diet also.
[notify]