GO!

Recipes?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Finnigan and Cannoli

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 1:29pm PST 
Hi everyone I was wondering if anyone felt like sharing their raw food recipes. I am still learning about the benefits of a raw food diet and I know you have to be very careful to balance the food ingredients so you are not depriving the animal of nutrients.

Any recipes?
[notify]

KH's- Kreamsicle- Kid

Fluffy Destroyer- of Worlds

Purred: Thu May 24, '07 8:14pm PST 
The dogs get prey model mainly. Recipe for that is Take ....(insert meat here), Hand to dog(our human laughed so hard the first time she heard it phrased that way). Us cats get our food ground most of the time because our oldest doesn't like to eat the bones. Our first batch was 2lbs fresh trout, 1lb catfish, 1lb ahi tuna, 1 can jack mackeral,1 container chicken livers and a catamin powder(kitty vitamins). Our next batch removed the ahi and replaced it with alaskan salmon and added a handfull of white shrimp with the tails on. Our current batch is elk, chicken liver,salmon, canned tripe,catamin, powdered milk, and a tiny bit of blackstrap mollasses to get the pickiest eater to bulk up a bit. Once every week or week and a half our human gives us prey model food.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri May 25, '07 12:02pm PST 
Info about making your own RAW food and recipies here: Catnutrition.org
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Mon May 28, '07 3:15pm PST 
Congratulations and welcome to the rawer world.

I've been a rawer for about a year now. We’ve tried many different recipes and supplements but now I’m eating commercial non-medicated raw food for dogs. It contains meat+bones+organs only, no vegetables or supplements. I also get organic chicken or beef chunks, chicken necks, or chicken wings a few days a month. Chewing on these is good for cleaning my teeth and I absolutely LOVE them.

I used to follow a recipe and use many different kinds of supplements daily. My homeopath stopped all that. He said that the most important thing is taurine and calcium. Taurine you get from hearts, which is included in the non-medicated raw food. Calcium you get from bones. I see that you’re only 2 months old. I don’t really know if you need extra nutrition.

Basically the “trick” of preparing raw food is to get as close to our natural prey as possible. By eating raw, you already get lots of nutrition missing in processed food. You don’t need as much supplements as you think. Too much supplement is not a good thing. I’ve made that mistake and my liver suffered from it a little.

Keep in mind that you need red meat once in a while. A few meals a month is enough. Rabbit is said to be the best for us but it’s also the most expensive.

Your human can also give you a little human food once in a while. Variety is very important for us. Sometimes I get a little leftover salmon and tuna sashimi, cooked chicken, or even skin/bones from canned salmon. Stay away from heavily processed food and salt. Sometimes my human would finely chop some raw veggies and mix into my raw food.

Hope that this helps. Feel free to pmail me if you have any questions. My humans have done lots of experiment on me. I can share some of my experience with you.

applause wave
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Mon May 28, '07 3:15pm PST 
Congratulations and welcome to the rawer world.

I've been a rawer for about a year now. We’ve tried many different recipes and supplements but now I’m eating commercial non-medicated raw food for dogs. It contains meat+bones+organs only, no vegetables or supplements. I also get organic chicken or beef chunks, chicken necks, or chicken wings a few days a month. Chewing on these is good for cleaning my teeth and I absolutely LOVE them.

I used to follow a recipe and use many different kinds of supplements daily. My homeopath stopped all that. He said that the most important thing is taurine and calcium. Taurine you get from hearts, which is included in the non-medicated raw food. Calcium you get from bones. I see that you’re only 2 months old. I don’t really know if you need extra nutrition.

Basically the “trick” of preparing raw food is to get as close to our natural prey as possible. By eating raw, you already get lots of nutrition missing in processed food. You don’t need as much supplements as you think. Too much supplement is not a good thing. I’ve made that mistake and my liver suffered from it a little.

Keep in mind that you need red meat once in a while. A few meals a month is enough. Rabbit is said to be the best for us but it’s also the most expensive.

Your human can also give you a little human food once in a while. Variety is very important for us. Sometimes I get a little leftover salmon and tuna sashimi, cooked chicken, or even skin/bones from canned salmon. Stay away from heavily processed food and salt. Sometimes my human would finely chop some raw veggies and mix into my raw food.

Hope that this helps. Feel free to pmail me if you have any questions. My humans have done lots of experiment on me. I can share some of my experience with you.

applause wave
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Fri Jun 1, '07 10:24pm PST 
That's good advice that you are giving, Nemo. Some people grind up the carcass themselves. If you can't find unsupplemented raw foods locally, you also can purchase ground up carcasses online, which includes the meat, bones & organs. It arrives frozen and without any supplements added. One place that is always highly recommended is Hare-today hare-today.com. If you live on the west coast you would have to find some place closer.

Even with the whole carcass, we are always told to add supplements. If you feed boneless raw, you absolutely must add calcium or bonemeal, trace minerals, taurine and liver or vitamin A. But I'm not sure why so many supplements are recommended for the whole ground carcass. Some raw feeders say they add the supplements because they don't know what has been lost in the raw meat as compared to a freshly killed live prey.
[notify]

Aldo: by Laurel

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '07 6:20am PST 
KC, thanks for mentioning Hare-Today. Mommy gets her ground food from them now. She originally intended to make recipes--even bought the grinder--but then discovered a prey model exists for cats just like for dogs. So now Tess and I get ground rabbit, ground goat, ground chicken, etc. Originally, before she began with Hare-Today, she was cutting up supermarket pork into chunks, but she worried a lot because we weren't getting any bone, just the meat, and she knew bone was important. Tess and I both also absolutely refused to eat *any* supermarket chicken. Now, with Hare-Today's ground, she knows we're getting everything we need. She first tried its coarse ground, but the same problem existed with us not eating the bones in the food. This time she got the double-ground and it's worked like a charm. As for supplements, the v-e-t said to give us just an all-purpose tab, but Mommy feels we are receiving proper nutrition and has not given us any supplements. I actually have CRF and raw is not recommended for that at all. I'm a fairly young cat, though, only about 7 or so, and my test results last year came back so good I think that measured into the v-e-t's decision to let me do the raw too. His only warning was for Mommy to carefully monitor whether I had any kind of reaction to such a rich, high-protein diet, but I haven't. I love this food and so does Tess, though our preferences differ quite a bit! MOL My yearly tests come up in August, though, so we'll really see what's going on and the true effects of the raw diet since the switch. Mommy began the whole transition to raw at the beginning of this year but it took us about five months to truly accept it.

Kudos to Catster for this new Forum thread, btw! And let me also praise the group *Raw Fed* and urge both kits and dawgs to join us there. It's a terrific group, filled with very knowledgeable members, who know what's what and who give great advice.

Have a wonderful day, effurybody! We've got Tropical Storm Barry on top of us today! MOL

Edited by author Sat Jun 2, '07 6:21am PST

[notify]

Aldo: by Laurel

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '07 6:28am PST 
Yeah, hey, if anypurr here could give Mommy some advice on *how* to get us gnawing on bones, boy, would she appreciate it!!!! She bought these dehydraded rabbits' ears from Hare-Today for us, as they came highly recommended as a treat, but they have fur on them and they grossed us out more than anything, though we did sniff them a bit at first.

Many thanks!
[notify]

Finnigan and Cannoli

Purred: Sat Jun 2, '07 2:45pm PST 
I've heard that pork is a no-no for raw diets because it can lead to trichinosis. Not sure exactly what this is but it sounded bad when I saw it mentioned on a page...
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jun 13, '07 12:36pm PST 
Info about trichinosis
[notify]