GO!

My Ragdoll Attacks My Dauther?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Mittens

Look Like A- Queen; But Play- Like Crazy!

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '11 10:09pm PST 
Hi to all! I am new here and have a question, our 14 month old bluepoint ragdoll was never very cuddly as a kitten. She would lay on me, purr, and kneed and seem happy but if you pet her too much she would bite you. ALL SHE WANTS TO DO IS PLAY, THAT'S IT!! My daughter {11} had just lost both her pets in the same month last year and so really took to this kitten and made her all hers; but Mittens don't like it!

Most of the time she tolerates her picking her up and toting her around and hugging/petting her all the time, but there are times when she has had it and will bite her or scratch her out of the clear blue. I told my daughter she needs to be able to read her clues that she is not happy, but she said she doesn't give any. The funny thing is Mittens only comes out now if my daughter is home, and she follows her around and stays/sleeps in her room; so I know she loves her!

So I guess what I am asking is will our cat become lovey dovey and more relaxed with age because we purchased her due to the nature of this breed, but she has not really shown that relaxed/lovey dovey side of her much yet.
[notify]

BANJO

Banjo-"Ramrod of- Kitty City NM"

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 4:10pm PST 
Rescue remedy works pretty well. We moved a cat to Kitty City NM from Roswell NM that twice had seisures from stress. The third time we used rescue remedy and she did fine. It contains a good bit of alcohol among other things.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Oct 18, '12 9:19am PST 
I have two suggestions: First, take your cat to the vet and ask him or her to look for anything that might be bothering the cat. (In the case of my cat, who started biting my husband for no apparent reason, there was a canine tooth that was irritating her lower gum and an eye irritation - both are now under control.)
Second, some cats have their limits when it comes to children. Teach your daughter to recognize signs of exasperation, such as tail twitching or the cat squirming to get down or get away.
[notify]