GO!

What am I?

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 12:25pm PST 
This is fun to think about, anyway. The reason I mentioned calico is that the orange around the eye is in an area that would match the points if it were Siamese.And it looks the color of a red ticked tabby (without the dark red 'show' color, but moggy 'orange' or 'yellow') to me especially if you look at the part of the ear fur you can see. A Siamese trait would be more 'cream'. Interestingly, pointed cats do have a weird form of the dilute gene, that produces a light body color that darkens with age, and darkens more on cooler body areas (face, legs, and tail)
It seems to me that Mali has some mixed u[p genes for sure, and you won't see another like her very often!
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Jan 10, '11 2:58pm PST 
Kaya Skye thinks she may be a genetic mosaic. I thought the reddish patch next to the eye looked too light to be a match for the black--a calico has black and red, a dilute calico has blue and beige/buff. I'm not sure both colorations can occur at the same time--never seen it. As for colorpoints, I've never heard them discussed as a variation on the dilute gene. Yes, colorpoints get darker in cold weather, but that has nothing to do with dilute. However, my knowledge of color genetics is still pretty primitive.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 6:14am PST 
http://messybeast.com/indefinable-colours.htm

Use this link then scroll down to 'confusing colourpoints" and there are pictures of a kitty that looks almost just like Mali, right down to the tan facial spots! There's also an explanation of what's going on here.

While I was at it, I emailed Sarah Hartwell who is the creator of messybeast, with a photo of the kitty we got for my SO a few years back. I've never known what to call her, as she looks like a silver tabby but has pale orange markings ON the tabby part. Sarah emailed right back with infor--she is a silver mac torbie, the siver gene makes her patches look very washed out. I think I'll put a pic of her on BooBoo's page, if anyone would like to see, though it reallyu doesn't photograph that well.
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 6:41pm PST 
Ah, now THAT one I could have answered. Silver is a popular color for Maine Coons and Turkish Angoras in the Japanese CFA right now, and we see a lot of silver patched tabbies (aka torbies). My question is, how common is silver in the moggy population? Regular old grey tabbies like my Spike are actually brown tabbies, as is Lowell, but in the American Shorthair world, brown tabbies are very brown. Then you get grey cats who are the shade known as "blue." I've seen silver tabby moggies in Japan, but since silver tabby American Shorthairs are so popular here, and s/n requirements are lax, they are obvious mixes. Does silver occur in the moggy population naturally? Curious minds want to know...
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Tue Jan 11, '11 10:55pm PST 
i'm thinking silver is naturally occurring, yeah...our cat Jake was a silver tabby. His momcat was an Angora who got out, but I believe she was white. She wasn't silver, that much I know. (how did we get a halfbreed Angora? my mom had a cat breeder friend, who had her queens in a 'cathouse annex' so she didn't have to listen to them when they were in heat-opened it to the rest of the house during the day, but they were keeping her and her kids awake. And raccoons freed the queens...not kidding. they always came back, but frequently enough with interest that they set up cameras to catch the pranksters...well, busted, but you can't prosecute coons.)

I'll hunt down a picture of Jake and post it on Kaya's page for you...he basically just looks like a big tabby, but oh my, what luscious fur he had...
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 12:47am PST 
I don't know; did you look at Candy's picture? I've never seen another kitty that looked anything like her. The 'torbies' I see usually have patches of silver tabby, and patches of orange tabby, kind of like a calico--Candy looks like a silver tabby all over with yellow spots on top of the silver--it's weird to me anyway.
[notify]

Currier

Always by my- side...

Purred: Wed Jan 12, '11 2:55am PST 
If you conduct a search on Google Images, you'll find there's a great variation among patched tabbies/torbies. Some are mackerel, some are classic, some don't have very distinct markings, etc. I don't know whether I've seen a cat at a cat show who looked exactly like Candy, but a friend of mine had a cat who had similar markings (the orange spots on the grey striped background), except that she was grey rather than silver. Two of the cats I'm trying to sell are brown patched tabbies, and it took me months to figure out what their coloration is. Tozzer has classic tabby swirls; Divinity is an almost unmarked red on her body, with black legs with tabby stripes. Judges and exhibitors can get confused over cat coloration in the case of patched tabbies; my mentor was showing a tortie who looked a lot like my Currier, but one judge spotted some stripes on her legs and said she was a patched tabby. I'm not sure how that was resolved. The leading cat in the Premiership Class this year is a beautiful silver tabby, but he has some buff-colored spots on his face, which I would have thought would be impossible in males, but apparently not. Occasionally a judge will comment on these markings.

Anyway, Candy is a very pretty cat!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2