GO!

Are (some) cats synonymous with birds of prey?

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4  
kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 9:56pm PST 
then stop wasting your energy and go ahead and GO. you're allowed to lose your mind. yes, i'm being quite serious. feel what you feel...if you stop fighting yourself, you'll have more energy to spare for change and growth and real health. don't suppose what is true, just feel what you feel.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Mon Jun 14, '10 10:27pm PST 
What does this have to do with birds of prey???

My cats are all slightly autistic (and I use that term advcisedly). Most of my cats don't want to look me in the eye, unless we're separated by around 2 meters. No bird of prey style ogling.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Tue Jun 15, '10 9:15am PST 
Sorry, I was talking about some years ago in my post.......at present I am not going 'mad-ga-ga', just 'old-ga-ga'.........

It's all got very little to do with birds of prey and, really, I don't know why I started this in the first place...sorry.....just that I love the eyes of birds of prey and I love the eyes of cats.......

Thanks for the input anyway.....I have enjoyed it.....

Jan
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 12:48am PST 
harvey: most cats don't care to make prolonged direct eye contact-it's seen as aggressive in the animal world, including the human branch of it. we aggress and trespass first with our eyes. watch a land or air predator on the prowl, or teenagers in the mall...we hunt with our eyes.
i am most certainly not saying that autistic humans (and i am one) are more "animal". i am saying that our nonverbal communication styles and neurotypical nonverbal communication styles are different. for one, neurotypical folk have a sort of standardized nonverbal communicative ability-or ability to standardize their nonverbal communication style. just google nonverbal communication and you'll see a list of what it means when the human face and hands do this, or that, or the other. yeah, well, that's if the equipment is standard issue.
mine isn't, and maintaining eye contact makes me feel like someone is sneaking up on me, or about to pull a knife, or if it's a work situation i'm about to get fired, or...it makes me paranoid. i don't think that's because i'm more animal, i think it's because i'm missing some human social hardwiring, so it goes to default and hits primate, or whatever is next on the neuronal tree. what i'm saying is, humans are the only animal i can think of that prolonged eye contact does not necessarily mean predation, fight, or flight.
and by the way...all cats have asperger's, according to a book i keep meaning to buy, so if your cats are just a bit more "catty", they may indeed be autistic.wink tongue in cheek, here...would an autisticat be one that could not easily form social attachments with or read social signs from other cats?

Edited by author Wed Jun 16, '10 12:50am PST

[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 2:15am PST 
Um...that was meant to be spelled "advisedly." As you know, I am probably on the low end of the autistic spectrum. I am basically (read: barely) functional. I have been teaching English language and Japanese literature since 1979, and I've gotten good at it. But in my Japanese literature lectures, conducted in Japanese, aimed at Japanese students...every time I do the American public speaking thing and try to move my line of vision throughout the hall, and make eye contact with the students, they look away. In retaliation or out of a sense of self-preservation, I now either close my eyes when I lecture, or look at the ceiling. Maybe I've been surrounded by cats too much, but when I look at students and they invariably avert their eyes, it's depressing. I've taught adults as well--they maintain eye contact. I have also taught Japanese literature in translation to American exchange students. They met my eyes. My only conclusion is that Japanese young folk take longer to be able to make eye contact than Americans do. And I will not venture a guess as to why this is so. But it's a vicious cycle. I look at them, they look away. I stop looking at them. I lecture with my eyes closed. Everyone seems autistic in this scenario.

As for the cats...Harvey finally learned to look me in the eye. Harvard, who has always been a bold sort, did it from the beginning. Right now, at 18:00 Japan time, I've got Currier next to the computer, Harvard on top of my handbag, and Chibi on top of the printer. Radcliffe is taking a break less than a meter from the litter box...stinky. They all meet my eyes. As for HOLDING them--non, non, Maine Coons don't like to be held. Stroked, yes. Held, generally no.

Funny, I'm getting a good insight into my own psychology through my cats...
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 4:24am PST 
Love "autisticat." Okay, guys, all of you who are "autisticats" raise your paws. Hmm, I thought so. Well, we're all probably in the same boat, as it were. I am sometimes eerily accurate as to human feelings/thoughts/emotions (I have second sight, for one thing, and for another, when you are going deaf and live in a second-language environment, you learn to "read" people through non-verbal cues--but the key word here is "learn"). Sometimes I am totally, ahem, clueless, and have benfited from the advice of Kaya Skye and others, some neurotypical, some not. As for birds of prey...???

Edited by author Wed Jun 16, '10 4:28am PST

[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 8:53am PST 
Kaya Skye (Terri)......you ARE 'normal' or at least you are 'loving'......you remembered from about two years ago that I had said that Tambi has a 'Tiger in her tummy that comes out when she unzips herself'.......it made me so HAPPY that someone actually remembered what I had said.......

I don't think that cats DO USUALLY like to look one in the eye very much......but the Grandad Conrad used to lie on the bed with me and we would look each other in the eye from VERY CLOSE......and we would stroke and cuddle each other....(he would mainly make biscuits in the air)......I had never had that with a cat before and none of my cats now do that......Tambi loves cuddles, but she sits on my lap with her back towards me.......

I find it hard to look people in the eye......I generally look at their mouths when I am speaking to them.......don't know if this is normal or not.......

When I look at Brian's eyes (from a distance and not when he is speaking to me) I get SO SAD.....his eyes are bright, bright blue, but so old and tired and sad looking........

Anyway.......look at Tambi's new picture.......her eyes are the eyes of Medusa.......so here we go again.......!!!!

Here comes that Hamster...... hamster dance I MUST BE GOING GA-GA....!!!!

Jan
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Wed Jun 16, '10 9:18am PST 
Well, Louie - who is part Maine Coon, loves to jump on my lap and be held...but every cat can be an exception to the rule. All of mine LOVE to sit on my lap, be petted, have their tummies rubbed, and in general be paid attention to. It is a good thing I live alone and can give these rotten little furballs lots of attention!!! Emma in fact, likes to jump into my lap, then put her paws on my chest and her face very close to mine. She then likes to have her ears scratched and if I stop she takes her head and pushes my hand. I have to point out I have arthritis in both hands, and must take a break.... Charmaine enjoys being petter and Al LOVES to be scratched behind his ears, perfers you to use both hands....and he purrs and purrss.....

And Jan, I really like the new photos you posted....Tambi has such an elegant look to her. And Colin's coat looks SO soft....like plush, and Auntie Miss Lilly looks like a young ladycat.

Faye and The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

Tambolina

Purred: Thu Jun 17, '10 3:17pm PST 
Thank you, Faye. We are all looking forward to the 26th.......
[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Thu Jun 17, '10 5:16pm PST 
The date of the wedding has been changed!!!! It will be on Sunday, July 11, due to conflicts with Chad's calendar. Will keep you all posted. By the way, the loving couple are registered at PetsMart, PetCo and The New Orleans Hamburger and Seafood Company....MOL..MOL..

Faye and Emma and The New Orleans Kitties
[notify]

(Page 3 of 4: Viewing entries 21 to 30)  
1  2  3  4