GO!

rescuing wildlife, keeping exotic pets

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Fri May 22, '09 12:54pm PST 
Hey, so I love animals more than I could ever tell you. Because of my traditional and conservative upbringing, I have had a very strict life. From the time I was in kindergarten to grade 8, I was at the school for the blind where everybody was pretty much the same, and everything was done for me. Well, in grade 8, my parents decided to take me out of there and bring me out into the real world where I went to a public school. In high school, I had to endure many things from other teenagers because of my disability. Growing up with an animal-loving mom, and constantly walking neighborhood dogs, pets had become my life, and all that mattered to me. OK, fast forward to my last couple years of high school. My dad turned into a cat lover, Jellybean was added to the family, and I finally found a couple of girls in high school who were animal lovers, and we became friends. My one friend's mom was involved in rescue, and she kept wild animals. There were ducks, chickens, rabbits, turtles, dagoos, rats, mice, and everything. Some of my friends' stories about how the wild animals became her mom's were such tear jerkers. For instance, once a baby squirel fell out of his nest in the trees. My friend's mom took him in, and tried to raise him. Sadly, Nuts the squirel only lived for 10 days and crossed the bridge. I would really love to have a wild animal one day. I'd love to have some exotic pets. Has anybody on catster ever had a wild animal before? Does anyone have any good wildlife rescue stories? Bring 'em on.
[notify]

Charmaine- Neville

Hey Dawlin!!!!

Purred: Fri May 22, '09 2:38pm PST 
Nina:

This is just my personal opinion......but people should NEVER make a "pet" of a wild animal. Most of the small rodent family, racoons, squirells, etc. carry rabies, which can be passed to both domestic animals and humans. As for exotic pets, they are even more dangerous - because of their size, and 99.9% of most homes are not equipped to house them comfortably. In Florida alone, so many peoople tried to make pets out of various type of constricting snakes and then "set them free" when they got too big that the Wildlife Department has a special "Snake Unit" that goes out to capture these snakes when they get into someone's yard. Would guess you are not looking at having a snake. However, the same thing can happen with a wild cat.

In closing, with the millions and millions of cats and dogs put to death each year because a home cannot be found for them, I cannot agree with someone making a pet out of a wild animal or an exotic animal. Most states, I believe have laws against keeping exotic animals as pets.

Just giving my personal opinion, and by the way, visited Nina'a page, and she is a very pretty orangie kitty. One of mine, Pete Fountain is a orange and white tabby.

The New Orleans Kitties - Charmaine Neville, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Benny Grunch, Pete Fountain and Buddy Bolden
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Fri May 22, '09 5:12pm PST 
Most states do have VERY strict laws about who can take in wildlife to rehab, and there is usually a very high fine if you are caught with any wildlife in your possession; that does include even native snakes and turtles. As you have already learned, wild animals can't just be brought in and made pets of; next time call your Department of Fish and Wildlife or your state's equivilent.
To enjoy wild animals, why not get a good pair of binoculars and some books on wildlife watching. And save your hands-on for us kittycats!
I'm not trying to be ugly -- Meowma was always dragging home 'critters' when she was too young to know better, and they never lived.
Education will show that most "abandoned" baby animals are not--they are waiting for you to go away so they can get back with Mommy, or keep waiting in the area she told them to stay.
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Sat May 23, '09 4:24am PST 
Well, first we have to define what we mean by "wild animal." I hardly consider ducks, geese, gerbils, the mice sold in pet stores, etc. as "wild animals." If you're talking about taking a racoon out of the forest and making it a pet, that's a different story. My cousin works for a company but lives on a farm, and her hobby is her "zoo," which includes ducks, geese, a miniature horse, peacocks, turtles, etc. Personally, I don't find any problem with that--it's her hobby, and she spends hours every night taking care of their needs. They are safely enclosed, and I haven't heard of any of them escaping.

When I was a kid, I kept mice, small snakes, chameleons, guinea pigs, and a rabbit, all bought at a pet store. They didn't escape into the wild and upset the natural environment. I think that responsible ownership is an important issue here. Letting your boa constrictor escape because it's gotten too big to deal with is NOT responsible ownership.

Also, yes, there are cats and dogs dying daily in shelters, but does that mean that people shouldn't keep other animals as pets?

However, I am opposed to modern hybrid cat breeds that mix wild cats with moggies. The CFA doesn't recognize them, although TICA is more lenient. They have been banned in a number of places. If it comes to that, I'm not too keen on some of the other new breeds--Munchkins may or may not be deformed (there's a debate about this), and Sphynxes have very delicate skin, trouble with temperature control, and are high-maintenance.

As for people who want to keep real lions, tigers, and bears--THAT strikes me as dangerous and stupid.

In any event, taking an animal out of the wild always presents health and/or legal risks. A squirrel bought at your local pet shop--yes. A squirrel brought in from the woods--no.

Oh, and that brings up the issue of feral cats. Are they wild animals? Kaya Skye's recent rabies scare should remind us that ferals can pose their dangers, as well--not to mention that some are too feral to be socialized. They truly are "wild."

There are many issues involved here.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Sat May 23, '09 9:57am PST 
New Orleans kitties, I've heard of you before. Hooch's family mentioned you before. Yes, I totally agree with everyone here. I actually do like snakes. I don't think there's one animal on this planet that I don't like. Right after I started this thread yesterday, I remembered when I was 10, my school went on a field trip to this petting zoo which was owned by a nice couple. She had tons and tons of wild animals that she rescued. I remember there were monkeys, bobcats, foxes, cougars, you name it, this couple had it. All the babies were kept in safe enclosures. The couple really loved them, and treated them like their babies just like we do ours. Now is that different from keeping wild animals as pets? If I remember correctly, this petting zoo was meant to be educational. It was a rescue meant to teach kids about animals and wildlife. Dammit, I wish I'd gotten the lady's email and phone number and kept in touch with her. This was about 10 years ago, so I'm not sure if the couple is still running that petting zoo. This is a fun topic. Keep those posts coming catster. I love hearing good animal stories.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Sat May 23, '09 4:59pm PST 
Good grief, only 3 other posts? Come on catsters, that's pretty sad. I'm sure there's way more wild animal lovers here. laugh out loud
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Mon May 25, '09 6:57am PST 
Hey Nina. I am with you too being an animal lover. I think it is wrong to take an animal out of the wild and try to raise it. They still have their "instincts".
However, you can still get some pretty unusual pets from domesticated animals. Alot of pet stores sell sugar gliders and reptiles now.

I have never rescued a wild animal where it has lived in my home but I do try to do my part. I run a homemade dog and cat treats business and one day while loading them into the car a wolf came along (very common in this area). Normally they only come at night but he was starving. I took out some extra treats and gave him a tub of them. He just sat there eating them out of the tub until they were gone.
I am also that idiot that gets out of her car and moves the animal off the road so it doesn't get hit...so be patient if you see me out there. I have done that for rabbits, groundhogs, cats...lots of things.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Mon May 25, '09 9:36am PST 
Rodney, what part of Ontario do you live in? I'm in the Markham area. That's a great idea. Do you know which petstores nearby would sell sugar gliders? I've actually considered getting a sugar glider before, but I heard they're a lot of work. Even more work than dogs, and if you make one mistake in their routine care, you're screwed. That being said, I think it would be fun to visit one in a petstore. By the way, what did you end up doing with that wolf? If it were me, I probably would've taken him to the vet. Oh and I saw all your cat pages and your mom's dogs too. Cute bunch of babies. Oh, and I did have a few weird pets in the past. When I was in grade 3, my mom bought 2 frogs from pet's mart, but we put them in our pond and they hopped away the next day. Beats me how they got away. Our backyard is fenced and everything. I don't think I got a chance to name them. If I did name them, I can't remember off the top of my head right now. I'll have to get back to everyone on that. Then in grade 12, my dad was watching our turtle Trouble on the front lawn, and he caught a cricket. We tried feeding it to Trouble, but Trouble kept backing away from the cricket, MOL. Therefore, I kept the cricket in a jar and named him Jake. The next day, Jellybean got on the counter and rolled the jar off, and mannaged to pry off the lid. Well, Jake escaped, and the rest was history. About 3 weeks later, I was walking home from church one Sunday, and I saw a grasshopper on the sidewalk and picked it up. I took her home and named her Emily Rose. My dad found a spider for her to eat but she wouldn't touch it. Unfortunately Rosy only lived for 2 days. Spidy the spider outlived her though, MOL. My dad made me get rid of the spider. Oh yeah, and in grade 2, I was playing in my basement one night and I found a cricket and a grasshopper in my toy box. Miraculously, they were both alive after being squished under so many dolls. I kept them in my room that night, and my mom fed them cooked rice. Sadly, my aunt made me let them go in the backyard because she thought it was cruel to keep them in captivity. If anyone else has any good stories, bring 'em on.confused
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Mon May 25, '09 10:16am PST 
I live in New Liskeard and there are no Sugar Gliders up here. I used to work for a pet store in Winnipeg that had sugar gliders once in a while and yes they are alot of work. Although I specialized in reptiles i can give you some advice. You need a very large cage that is fully glass and very secure. They are escape artists, like to climb and well...glide.
And please don't bash me for working at a pet store. We did not sell dogs, we had 2 cats from the humane society and all other small animals we bought from a zoo which meant we only had them available when they had extras.
[notify]

♥- Nina- ♥- rehomed

Jellybean the- queen <3

Purred: Mon May 25, '09 3:00pm PST 
Rodney, I'm not bashing you for working at a pet store. I know not all petstores sell dogs. Thanks for the tip on sugar gliders. I'm definitely not considering getting one now. I'm not ready for it, but it's something to consider eventually. What other kinds of animals did you guys sell? Do you have any other animals at home right now besides the kitties? Do you have any dogs yourself?frown
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4