GO!

How good are you at interpreting cat body language?

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2  
Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Mar 18, '09 3:36pm PST 
Bumpurr understands english, he has wide vocabulary of words and
sentences. He knows his name, and comes when you call him. He also
has different types of sounds he makes, different types of "meows" for lack
of a better word, and for each one, I always know what he wants, so we
communicate pretty well. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 4:29am PST 
Yes, this thread has morphed into vocal language as well, which is a good thing. Speaking of body language, however, how about ear positioning? (Check out Harvey's page and you will see that he has some photos with his ears held back. Cat show judges will actually ask the owner to take the cat out of the holding cage if their ears are back--it's a sign of fear and hostility.) And how about licking? Hasn't anybody noticed that a cat will suddenly give itself a few licks when nervous?
[notify]

Emma Barrett

It\'s good to be- the Queen

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 6:49am PST 
I have noticed that Emma will give herself a couple of "quick licks" and she seem to be upset about something. All of mine communicate with me. Emma with head bonks when she wants a treat, and if that does not work, she jumps up on the kitchen counter and paws at the treat jar, Louie makes a funny "Oooouuu" sound if he want cuddles or attention, Charmaine will stand on her hind legs and extend her right paw if I am laying on the sofa, and she wants to jump up on my lap......and will also jump up on back of the toilet and pat me on my shoulder, wating attention.....Pete has his special "MIROW".....means time to open canned food!!! Buddy, being part Meezer just talks and talks, and rubs against my legs for head skritches and tummy rubs. I talk to all of them all the time, and they do respond......and acutally come when I call (most of the time.....MOL...MOL...) But it is interesting to see how they respond to us.....When I am not feeling well, they all sense it, especially Emma, who I call my "kitty nurse".
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 12:15pm PST 
Some judges, if the cat swatts/hisses, when they open the cage door, will
say owner. But have seen some, that take it as a challenge, per say, will
shut the door, go get a toy, put it in the cage, thru the top, to distract
the cat, open the door, take the cat out, boom, he is on the table before he
even knows what happened. big grin

Usually, the cat is fine, and will swatt again, when being put back in the
cage. But have seen some cats, that will continue to growl/hiss/swatt, even
when on the table, and then the judge will say owner.

To me, and I always feel bad for the owner, the cat is saying, I don't want
to do this anymore.

It takes a special personality, per say, to be a show cat. There is alot of
bathing, grooming, travel, noise, commotion, in and out of cages, at the
bench, in the ring, and the Finals.

Some very well behaved cats, get a little grouchy towards the end of the
season, if the owner is running the P out of them. Some, their personality
never changes. Bumpurr is the same at the beginning, as he is at the end,
he just goes with the flow, but I don't run him alot either, and give him the
next season off, so he doesn't get sick of it.

Have seen some exhibitors say to the owner, that cat is going to blow,
while the cat is in the ring, before the judge even gets to him. And sure
enough, the cat does, and these are cats, that have been well behaved
thru out the show. Guess some, are very good at reading body language.

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 7:25pm PST 
I'm desperately trying to make Harvey a Regional Winner (for some reason, probably related to the American Occupation of Japan, the Japanese CFA is considered a "Region" and not a "Nation"). And he has become totally fed up with cat shows. At first, he was just scared. Then he became very calm. And then he became openly hostile to the judges. As Bumpurr says, some judges will call out "Owner!" when the cat looks hostile, but others will try to placate the cat with toys. I've heard that a cat who is being shown every week can only be shown for a year--that's the limit. They burn out after that. Is it a sin to show a cat who is not happy? I have mixed feelings on that. It's made my relationship with Harvey much closer. He loves the benching cage--he hates the judges. But he will be retired at the end of April, and be allowed to spend his time reading Buddhist texts and zoning out.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 8:07pm PST 
i got very upset about something last night, and was sitting on the floor crying like a little kid. kaya walked around me, rubbing against me and headbutting...and every once in awhile she put her paws on my chest and licked my chin. THAT wasn't very hard to interpret.cloud 9

when she wants to get in my lap she first walks across me two or three times...i now know what this means, but i'm unclear as to WHY it means that.thinking
[notify]

Spike

Tubby tabby- love!

Purred: Thu Mar 19, '09 9:16pm PST 
American cats seem to be much more affectionate than Japanese ones. In this household, the cats just hang around you. On the other hand, Maine Coons are known for not being lap cats. Spike, a formal feral, is the most demonstrative of my cats.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Fri Mar 20, '09 2:13pm PST 
hey, it took a year-and shyloh leavingfrown-for kaya to have any interest in physical affection unless i was lying down. could it be that your cats fulfill each other's need for physical closeness so they don't "need" to curl up in your lap?
for awhile there i felt more like i was raising a monkey...making faces at each other from across the room was our bonding ritual during the day. (she'd yawn and tilt her head practically upside down, i'd follow suit...hmm, maybe I'M the monkeythinking )
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 18)  
1  2