GO!

I want to be a Vet Assistant, where do I start?

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Wed Mar 4, '09 1:16am PST 
what kind of school?

I'm 22 years old, and ever since I've been old enough to work I've just never had a passion too, I felt like everything just wasn't What I needed to do in life.

My husband and I help many strays, My husband sees how happy I get when I save a kitty or find it a new home. Recently since our stray bear tested Positive for FeLV my husband has been extremely impressed at how knowledgeable I am when it comes to my cats.

I've always wanted to be a Vet assistant but I have never mentioned it to him until recently when he brought it up. He told me, "Trisha, i really think this is what you're meant to do in life". I can't say I don't agree with him more.

I've been online tonight researching this, I'm lost as to where to start. I see this site says you can learn the information online

http://www.pennfoster.edu/vetassistant/index.html?semkey=Q 087885

but I'm skeptical about an online school. I want to get working in the field right away, hands on training but I'm willing to do online courses to learn some of the things.

I'm just really confused where as to start. Bears Vet told if I had any questions just let him know, So when I take him in there next time I will ask him again.

I guess my questions is, where do I start. I do not want to go to a college for it, I rather go to a trade school for more hands on experience is this a bad idea? or do I even need to go to school for this?

and what are the different types of Vet assistants if there are? I'm assuming the ones you assist in surgery are different than the ones in the office when you take your cat to the examining room.

any information would be great.

thank you.
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Wed Mar 4, '09 3:23am PST 
Hi!smile

I'm not sure if it's the same in America, but I can tell you about what it's like in Australia. Here, there are two levels of higher learning after high school- university, and technical institutes (TAFE). Veterinary degrees are obtained at uni, and vet nurse certifications are done at TAFE.

As part of the vet nurse certification, you need to be employed in some capacity at a vet, where they can oversee some of the criteria you need to meet.

I'd recommend talking to your vet, and some of the other vets around. Our vet has a program for trainee vet nursing, where they oversee everything. Also, our shelter sometimes allows volunteers to assist on clinic days. Obviously it's very simple what you're allowed to do (worming, de-fleaing, medications, weights, condition checks, up to vaccinations and surgical assists), but it is experience.

Good lucksmile
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Fri Mar 6, '09 9:54pm PST 
you do not need any type of schooling to be a vet assistant. some vets will hire people as kennel assistants and train them from there.

dont be fooled by online ads saying you can train to be a vet assistant. These are usually scams. Being a vet assistant is all about getting hands on experince. if your lucky you might find a vet who would take you on and train. you would probibly start out cleaning kennels and go from there. also try shelters, pounds, doggie daycare,ect.

if you want to go the school route why not look into being a vet tech? you get payed way more then a vet assistant, and you get some sort of degree that way.

alot of communuty college have vet tech programs now

Vet assistants do everything from cleaning cages to giving meds. but usually blood draws, x-rays, and surgery is left for the tech or vet.

i got lucky and applyed for a kennel job at a vet office and somehow got the job. i learned everything i know about vet stuff from working there.

good luck

Edited by author Fri Mar 6, '09 10:02pm PST

[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 4:11pm PST 
I had the two confused. I want to be a Vet Tech. I'm going to go to a good school here in FL. I still need to do it online because no schools are near me Luckily they have a Distant learning program for there Vet Tech Courses. I'll either start in May but it seems like August is most likely.

thank you everyone.
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 4:17pm PST 
I forgot to mention, the School I chose requires you to work in a vet before even taking the classes and you must have 40 hours work experiance in a vet before you can even apply. I'm working on getting the 40 hours. My husband just found out his Boss's wife is a mangar at a Vet here and she is going to help me, my husband told me his boss sounded excited about getting me the help and his wife said for me to come in to ask her question. I'm positive she will let me get the 40 hours of volunteer work. I hope to get them soon.

I don't understand why places even offer courses online to be a vet assistant I do all that at home now with my cats and my special needs kitty.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 4:21pm PST 
Hey Milo, congratulations, on wanting to be a vet tech! big grin

I greatly appreciate what they do! big grin

I would only suggest, whatever online school you decide on, to ask your
vet to check it out first. Anybody can put up an online anything, heck,
Bumpurr could open an online school, mol, mol, mol, his tuition is cheap,
payable in "toys", mol, mol, mol. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

Best of luck! applauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplauseapplause
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Sat Mar 7, '09 6:17pm PST 
Hi Bumpurr, When I asked my Vet what college, right away the Women at the front desk told me St. Petersburg, That was my number one choice so I'm glad I didn't even need to show her the list of schools.
[notify]