GO!

Put to sleep or allow to die naturally?

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3  
Chibi

Proud mother of- the Gang of- Four!

Purred: Wed Feb 11, '09 4:16pm PST 
I thought Catster was supposed to be upbeat...
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 8:48am PST 
Oh, Chibi and Harvey and all, and Lord Peter and Lady Emma and all.......thank you for telling me (us) your stories.....IT HELPS......it truly helps to hear and feel the pain of others in their life-stories......because in one way or another it comes to us all.....and to know that we are not alone....that others have experienced the same sort of pain is WONDERFUL........(in a backhanded sort of way)

On a (very) miniscule level......I was SO pleased to know that one of the ladies who work where I do was so FRIGHTENED of going out in the deep snow we have been having that she took a week's holiday from work.......I AM NOT ALONE.....!!!

Janet
[notify]

GOSMOT

I'M FINE WHERE I- AM THANK YOU

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 10:15am PST 
Tambolina I just had to big laughbig laughlaugh out loudlaugh out loudbig laughbig laugh
at your comment

On a (very) miniscule level......I was SO pleased to know that one of the ladies who work where I do was so FRIGHTENED of going out in the deep snow we have been having that she took a week's holiday from work.......I AM NOT ALONE.....!!!

Please tell the lady if she is frightened of snow NEVER come to CANADA!!!!!!!

I have seen pictures of what it is like in your area and I understand it is difficult for you as you are not used to this. But we get dumped on at least 1 time per week here that we have to laughlaugh out loud Last year we even beat a record and had 300 cm of the white stuff.
[notify]

Harvey

Has been COTD!

Purred: Thu Feb 12, '09 10:27am PST 
I originally come from upstate New York (and if you don't know what that means, you will not be able to follow this post). My parents are now dead and my childhood home gone, so I don't return at Christmas every year as I used to, but I used to have the most incredible luck (or be a terrible jinx for other people) because, for several years in a row, the day after I left to return to Japan, there would be a big snowstorm that closed all the airports for a week. One of the things I like about Tokyo is that the winters are chilly, but the skies are usually blue and clear, and it usually only snows around once, in February. If you ever plan to travel to Japan, winter may be the best time.
[notify]

Noble

Everyone loves- an orange tabby.

Purred: Fri Feb 20, '09 8:50pm PST 
I think it depends on the condition the cat is in.

It's like a person. My step father was on his deathbed for months on end. His wife (not my mother; he and my mother were divorced) was told that even if he did survive, he would never be able to do anything on his own again. Not even use the bathroom. He probably would've been in a lot of pain; emotionally and physically. And only emotionally if his mind ever recovered enough to realize what was going on. She didn't want him to live like that; none of us did; so, she had them pull the plug. After all, why would anyone wanna live like that when they're only in their 30's? If I had to live like that, I'd want the plug pulled on me.

It's a matter of knowing when to "pull the plug", however. Some people jump on the "Put the cat/dog to sleep!" wagon when the cat or dog is simply old and not in any kind of pain yet. For example, Chance (my dog) is aging. He's going deaf, showing signs of going slightly blind, he has arthritis... however, other than that, he's not in anything that I would call pain. His arthritis bugs him in the morning... but, so does my moms... I'm not gonna put her to sleep, right? He can't hear when I call him for dinner... but, my mom can't hear when I call her for help. I'm not gonna put her down, right? Yet, still, someone on Dogster suggested I put him to sleep. I was appalled. He's not as sick as a dog or cat SHOULD be when they get put down.

To me, putting a pet to sleep should be something that you just KNOW you have to do. If the pet is ready to go and can't go naturally... you'll know. He'll let you know. I don't think you should do it just because your cat or dog is getting old, however.

Your grandparents or parents are getting old... are you gonna put them to sleep just because they can't hear like they used to?
[notify]

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 25)  
1  2  3