GO!

Maine Coon Cat Sounds

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Catsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Catster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Mia

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '07 5:58pm PST 
Hello,

I recently adopted a 1 yr old cat, which definitely has some Maine Coon in her due to her bushy tail, markings on her head, large feet, etc. I have only had her for a month and she recently started making a meowing sound. Based on the information I found online this should signify wanting attention or being happy. This is also done in combination of her lowering her stomache and front, and arching her back legs and tail. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar to this or knows what some of the sounds might mean. Any advice, suggestions, comments, etc. are welcome. Thanks smile
[notify]

Lionel- Hardcastle

Purred: Mon Jul 16, '07 7:50pm PST 
Not really sure what sounds you are describing, but I grunt or trill (Like a pigeon) whenever I flop on my side or lay down. It's just kind of a 'sigh' that I do. Maybe that's what you are doing...
[notify]

Krishna

I love to swim

Purred: Mon Aug 27, '07 7:46pm PST 
not sure either, when I was alive I would make sounds like a bird and sometimes my people thought I was trying to talk "Buckow"?? not sure what buckow meant but I would say it alot especially when they came home from work.
[notify]

Vinny

Treats PLEASE

Purred: Thu Sep 20, '07 9:47am PST 
I have a double meow....and I can say momma. I know how to get her attention.kittykitty
[notify]

Maggie

Princess Snow- Belle

Purred: Thu Sep 20, '07 8:07pm PST 
Hee Hee - Loki and I say Mama too!!!!!!!!!

We also trill.....
[notify]

Peachy- (Coonmountai- n Blues in

Peachy Keen

Purred: Mon Sep 24, '07 6:13am PST 
I don't make the classic 'meow' sound, but I do trill and yap when my Mommy first gets home. I'm usually telling her to come fill up my bowl. The older I get the more comfortable 'talking' I become. I also immitate the word Momma. She's such a sucker for thatsmile
[notify]

Charle Bird

Purred: Fri Sep 28, '07 7:24pm PST 
Mia does look like she's got some Maine Coon in her!

But I'll answer your question with a question...has she been spayed? I'm assuming she has, as she came from a shelter, but it kind of sounds like she's in heat!

Just a guess...
[notify]

Legolas

Mommy's fuzzy- orange baby

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '07 6:16pm PST 
Hello. I am a one and half year old Maine Coon. I don't really speak. I am a quiet kitty but I do make trilling sounds. If you aren't sure on a sound and it bothers you, please check with your vet.
[notify]

Silver

Silver J - Space Cadet

Purred: Sat Sep 29, '07 9:48pm PST 
I make that sound all the time! What you describe I make that sound all the time! What you describe is a "trill", used as a greeting and also as a very friendly invitation to come pet me and play! I am a Maine Coon also, and I'm pretty vocal. I also chirp every time I enter a room where my owner is to let her know I'm there, and I make a quiet little "Urf" sound when you've stopped petting me and I want more! I also answer every question, and complain loudly when locked out of the room my owner is!
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Wed Oct 3, '07 7:30am PST 
Hi, Mia
I am a rescued MC who was born under my neighbor's deck.
cry

My sister is also a rescued MC from a shelter, and my bro, Ernie, is "just" a DSH (domestic short-hair). We ALL trill. Ernie does talk! He said "oh-oh" the other day when he knocked something over.

I don't think cat sounds are breed specific. We MC's DO trill a lot instead of me-owing, but I also meow (loud) when I can't find my brother or my mom. I think it depends on our mood. I also stretch like you do when I get up after a looong nap. red face I use whatever sound or meow that will get the most attention the fastest! way to go

Love,
Iz
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2