GO!

cat traps are so inhumane

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Simba

All You Need Is- Love

Purred: Wed May 27, '15 11:31am PST 
I live in a very nice neighborhood in a small town. recently found out our neighbor ( upstanding policeman in this town) has set out 6 cat traps in his yard(hidden of course) I approached him on the cat traps because my cat recently by accident escaped from the house and I could not catch her. I went from neighbor to neighbor looking for her. One neighbor told me about the cat traps in the neighborhood. I approached the neighbor with the traps and told him my cat was missing. He admitted to having traps to trap cats but did not have the cat I described. He also said there was a cat leash law in this town. Even though my cat escaped from the house. I was so upset and crying. An hour later my cat showed up in our yard. I still think he had her and let her loose. Needless to say she was traumatized because of missing for 4 days and then an hour after talking to the neighbor, she shows up..how unlikely is that. Well I rushed her to the vet because she was having breathing problems and they gave her oxygen , but that did not help. She died on the table from trauma. I went back to the policeman neighbor and told him my cat died from being traumatized. He told me that next time call the animal control officer to check on any missing cats otherwise they will be put cats to sleep if no one claims them. All this seems so inhumane So sad for any cat that is trapped for any reason. Laws are needed to protect the life of any cat that is trapped. I feel this falls under abuse for there are no rules in cat trapping. Whether it's my beloved cat or any homeless cat. We are their voice. We need to ban together on this and find out what can be done. A trapped cat is doomed for death. How many have died or been abused after they are trapped? Even a person that is suppose to defend lives is capable of cat trapping. You just don't know unless it's by accident you find out. My heart is so broken over Key-Ali my Beloved Furbaby. My heart is broken over the many trapped and abused animals. There needs to be a Law to monitor any cat trapping! What can we do? How can we move toward this action? There needs to be a Law Against Cat Trapping!
[notify]

Shade

If your lap is- available, I'll- be there!

Purred: Thu May 28, '15 7:16pm PST 
You could contact your local shelter to find out exactly what the laws are in your area regarding trapping cats and maybe ask for their suggestion on how to talk with your neighbor. Contact your state senator with your concerns and suggestions on creating laws to protect cats, especially cats that have accidentally escaped from their house.

Simba

All You Need Is- Love

Purred: Sat May 30, '15 10:01pm PST 
Thank you Shade for your suggestions. I appreciate your advice and will check these things out. As far as talking to my neighbor, I am not so sure this person is on the same level of caring about cats as I am. When I talked to him about his cat traps, he acted as though trapping cats was a normal thing to do. This made me feel very uneasy...especially when his wife stated they trapped 6 cats in one week. I am not so sure they have any love for cats. What I do know is , they trap to dispose of cats and they let the animal control officer do their dirty work. I guess at this point, Shade, I have lost alot of faith in who you can trust as a human and who you can not. I am sure this is felt as well, by our beloved animals who are neglected and abused. Thank you for caring Shade.
[notify]

Feraldine

Purred: Mon Jun 22, '15 2:54am PST 
A humane live trap, if used with empathy for the cat, is not inhumane. In this neighborhood, there are a number of intact cats running loose that nobody claims. I use live traps to catch and alter feral-stray cats in my neighborhood. I feed neighborhood cats and they are used to coming onto my porch to eat. When I need to trap one, I bait the trap with canned food and set it at a time when that particular cat is likely to be coming to eat. As soon as I hear the trap snap, I go out there and move the cat in the trap to an enclosed porch or else I move the cat to an indoor crate or cage, depending on whether the cat is feral or not and on whether I'm going to take the cat to be altered right away. If I leave the cat in the trap, I give the cat food, water, and a small litter pan and then I cover the trap with a blanket or towels so the cat has an enclosed dark place to feel safe in. BTW when the trap is set, if I can't hear it snap then I check it every hour or so.
[notify]