GO!

Low income/unemployed people and pets

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!

Purred: Sat Apr 9, '11 2:58pm PST 
Everyone should be careful about not having more pets than they can afford to take care of. That does not mean that low income/unemployed people shouldn't have pets, it just means they need to be responsible for the animals they have in their care. Our community now has a program through one of the local rescues that provides pet food to those in need, realizing that sometimes people can't afford food for themselves or their pets due to circumstances that have occurred. The neat part is, they have gotten major donations from a couple of pet food companies. It has made a lot of difference for people who have recently lost jobs in this failing economy. Mommie says if she ever had trouble getting food or vet care for us, she would sell off whatever she could to provide for us. I bet a lot of our pawrents feel that way!
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sun Apr 10, '11 7:01am PST 
I think low income people should have pets. But not more pets than they can afford to feed and care for properly which, in my book, means not worrying about having enough money to feed them or having enough money to take them to the vet when needed or afford medications. If you can only afford 1 pet, then please don't have more than 1 pet!

Unemployed people are a different story. It's heartbreaking when unemployed people feel they have to give up their pets! Sometimes they have to give up their beloved pets, esp. if they lose their homes. Barring extreme cases, I believe unemployed people should do everything they can to keep their pets. If that means sacrifices and finding assistance for food and medical care until they get back on our feet, then they should do that.

When I lost my job, I had 2 cats. One of them was sick with cancer and her vet bills were enormous and remained so throughout the remaining time she had left. I determined that she would continue receiving the best vet care possible and made sure she got it. I'm doing the same thing for Kaci, who was diagnosed with CRF last year and needed hospitalization and now needs ongoing vet care. Hopefully she'll be with me for a few more years. She receives and will continue to receive all the medical care she needs.

I'm very fortunate because I'm living rent-free with a relative and able to squeeze by. But this situation can't go on forever and right now, the future looks bleak. Finding a new job is turning out to be what I'm calling the Impossible Dream. It seems no one wants to hire someone who's in their 60s! Next year I can officially retire although I really can't afford to. It will be a pittance and hopefully I can find a part time job to help out. Sadly, for me this means I won't be adopting any more pets. In my circumstances, I feel it would be irresponsible for me to adopt any more cats. Kaci is the last cat I will ever have.
[notify]

Bobcat

He's big, he's- bad, he's- BOBCAT!!!!

Purred: Sun Apr 10, '11 8:54am PST 
I havemanaged to get 4 of my 5 insured, they won't do Abbi cos she is too old, but if anything goes wrong she will still get treatment.
Things are a bit easier now that my son has at last got a job after 2.1/2 years and us almost losing our home.
Liks many others on here I provide the best that I can for my cats, they cost me £25 a week or thereabouts with food and litter, not counting toys and treats, and thats a loot out of my pension, but Patch and Ginge are back, and back to stay till they go to the bridge.
[notify]

Gigi

Purred: Mon Apr 11, '11 11:23am PST 
I've read though the posts and from what I can see almost everyone is in agreement that you shouldn't have more pets then you can afford no matter what income you are and you should care for your pets. Agreed
I just don't like the blanket statement of some people who say that low income people shouldn't have pets because it's a luxury. I'd consider a pet more along the lines of a necessity, especially if your life isn't going well. My animals are the reason I get up in the morning and make me think about someone other then myself, they comfort me when I'm sick and I'll let you know when things where extremely bad for us and we lost our electricity for 2 weeks playing with our cats and dogs was our entertainment. You can have hours of entertainment with a cat, a flashlight and a paper bag.
They are well fed and well cared for and the people who say low income shouldn't have pets are living under the assumption that if they didn't have pets the low income people would get back on their feet and wouldn't be poor anymore. laugh out loud Seriously, that's not the case.
The problem with the statement of "Low Income people shouldn't have pets" is that there is only two options when in fact it's full of shades of gray.
[notify]

Buster

Mr. Buster Brown- Knows Best

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 9:28am PST 
As a person who is low income and on SSDI, I thought very careful whether or not if I could afford to have a cat. thinking I made a informed choice. When Buster found me, I knew that I had the means to take care of him. I don't have any children and being single makes a huge difference for me. I believe that low income/unemployed people have every right to have pets when they make informed decision and know the cost of having a pet. Low income doesn't mean dirt poor, completely no money, or ignoronce.
There are people who don't need pets, even those who have lots of money - they make bad choices based upon what their child(ren), status, or whatever, just as well as low income people do. If one has the ablility to love, take of, and honestly be able to care for their pet(s) income shouldn't matter. If low income is the main issue than making that informed choice is vital. Pets have been proven to help people, especially those who have disabilities and who are often low income, do much better. There are ways to help those with low
income have pets and help take care of them. You need to investigate your community to find out if they can help should the need arise. Where I live, if you need help with food and cat litter, there is a place that will help a person. applause
It is sad that people thing they have a right to make a judgments about others in situations they are not in. Yes, there are always a few bad apples in a bunch, don't group all low income/unemployeed people in that group of bad apples. red face
I don't get what the deal is for those who don't know why low income folks shouldn't have pets. shrug
For those of us who are low income and have pets, we are lucky to have the love of our must wonderous pets! They love us unconditional! snoopy
We have just as much right to have them as anyone else does if not more!!! dancing So all of us that have a pet and are low income deserve a great big hug for loving and caring about our pets! hug kitty
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 9:45pm PST 
I tend to think that the most important thing when it comes to providing pets with adequate care is the person's priorities. There are well-off people who don't consider pet care to be important and so their pets suffer as a result. There are also plenty of low-income people who take their responsibility to their pets very seriously and, so, find a way to ensure that they're receiving the care they need. It's not a matter of having more money!

And love, of course, is always free! cloud 9

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Tue Apr 12, '11 11:10pm PST 
Hear hear Buster cheercheer
[notify]

Buster

Mr. Buster Brown- Knows Best

Purred: Wed Apr 13, '11 10:03am PST 
Ben's person, I believe in a balance comes in of taking of yourself as person first that works for me. I understand that there are people who put their pets care before their own needs. That is their choice, not your nor mine! Who are we to judge them for how they decide to spend their money on caring for their pets? Pets are children to some of us, and with that being said, people will treat them as such. Again, it's about informed choices. If I knew that I couldn't care for Buster properly, I would find someone who could. Yes, it would be very, very painful for me. It would be in the best interest of Buster to have the best care. I love my Buster and he deserves the best and I can give him that now. I plan on that happening until well...you know. If for known reasons, me getting sick and not able to take care of him, me not able to come back home to live independantly-though that one I don't forsee anytime soon, or some odd thing that would make me unable to care for him then it is MY DUTY AS A LOVING PET PERSON to make sure that Buster is able to go to someone who can properly take care of him. I have no children so with Buster, I have it set up if I'm not able to care for him, my sister will make sure he is cared for well.

While some people choose to make such sacifices for their pets that they do without then I guess they are making a choice that works for them. It is the right of the person. If they are capible of making a informed choice than we have a differant topic.

For those who don't agree with low income/unemployeed people have pets - walk in our shows before you make a judgment. You love your pets. Don't you think we do too? That we make sure that they have what they need and can be care for??
[notify]

Bubbles

A cat who acts- like a dog

Purred: Tue Apr 19, '11 3:21pm PST 
Because often time people who do not have ample finances or living space cannot USUALLY provide for the pet... this involves vet bills, substantial nutrition, clean living quarters, and the like.

That's not to say ALL unemployed people cannot fend for their pets. My mommy is an unemployed student living on her own and can fend for me just fine smile however she has money coming from elsewhere to provide for me... hmm.

That is just an unfortunate generalization. Also this perception may be due to the fact TV tends to stigmatize people who are animal hoarders, and those people tend to be of low income and/or unemployed.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Fri Apr 22, '11 5:01pm PST 
i'm a little confused...who here spends over a thousand a month on their cats? seriously. i can see it happening every once in a great while, if one or more of them has a significant health issue, but EVERY MONTH? seriously.
i have three cats. one bag of grain free a month, around $30. a carton of EVO, around $30. one vet visit, $65-and we don't see the vet EVERY month, but let's put it in there. kitty litter-$25. toys and miscellaneous: $25 and hey, let's throw in $100 just because things come up.
that's pretty much an absolute maximum of $265. i've very rarely spent that much in one month, though it has happened-like after the fire, when we had to replace pretty much everything (kitties couldn't use toys that had been covered in fire-retardant foam) and needed to be vetted-smoke inhalation.
so while i very much agree that people should not take on more animals than they can care for, i do NOT understand how three cats adds up to over a thousand dollars EVERY month. i can usually keep it at around $100, if we don't have a vet visit or a special need that month. how does that jibe with other catsters' experience?
[notify]

(Page 4 of 6: Viewing entries 31 to 40)  
1  2  3  4  5  6