GO!

Low income/unemployed people and pets

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Jan 29, '11 10:26am PST 
hey you know I was in the pet store yesterday, it's actually not a franchise place like PetCo or PetsMart but a local feed store and garden supply. They have cats there in cages and such for adoption and I'm always just hanging out with my kids and talking to the staff because honestly the feed stores are my home away from home. I try to get deals and I'm trying to set up some photography stands. Anyhoo I found out that there are low cost veterinarians that go there and you can bring your cat or your dog in to them.
Help pops up in places for you, but you have to look for it. It's a pain I know but also those feed stores carry food for lower prices than the major chains. If there is one in your area I suggest going there. They are mom and pop joints, real stinky smellin all good like fertilizer haha but you know they hurt real bad because of economy and the like and they need business. A can of Wellness there will run you 1.59 whereas at PetCo it's gonna run you 1.79 see what I'm sayin? So like they sell Fancy Feast and all that stuff and even cat litter.
Just stay out of the fancy stores like "Kitty Boutique froofroo Furball Princess LuvsMahClaws" because that's bunk.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Sat Jan 29, '11 4:45pm PST 
whoa. good idea, penn& teller...my chore provider has a horse, i'll see if her feed store sells food for smaller animals or offers any other services...i'm at my wits' end right now with Wesley, because getting his claws clipped is...dangerous. i'm serious. He panics. i can do maybe one or two a WEEK. and that's a big maybe, and well...it seems to set him back so emotionally that for now i've just...stopped. he uses the scratching post and pads a LOT...but I worry. the vet sedated him to do it, which is just...well, not my preference. but neither is Wesley rupturing a tendon, dislocating a joint, or inflicting injuries on myself or the vet or vet tech while Hulking Out.
If he could get used to someone...someone that i quite frankly LIKED more than i like my current vet...(MY current vet?thinking ) i'm thinking it would help. It also might prevent Kaya's habit of peeing in the office every time. Not in the carrier. She pees in the office. She does not pee inappropriately anywhere else and never has. Jadyn just...mrow...mrow....mrow...mrow...mrow...mrow...mrow...until you hear her even when she stops. shock
I had never THOUGHT of a feed store. THANKS!hugmy regards to the masters of the multiverse and to miss edith...i do hope she isn't being TOO naughty...winkhug
[notify]

Penn & Teller

Masters of The- Multiverse

Purred: Sat Jan 29, '11 8:50pm PST 
Mol! Mrow?...mrow...mrow...mmmmrow.....mrowmrowmrowmrowmrowmrowmrowmrowMR OW! MUH-ROW! laugh out loud

You have to find the places with the adoptees and such but even if they don't have it I bet someone knows something.

Mrow
[notify]

Ozzy

Eat it, break- it, make it- bleed

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 5:35pm PST 
I think it's total bs that low income/unemployed people can't have pets. There's a kitty here on catster who was taken in by a mama who already had like 4 kitties and no job. But he needed a place to go, and she stepped up and took him in. Things looked pretty bleak for them at one point, but now she's got a job and a new place to live, and they're all doing just fine. Who knows what would've happened to him if she hadn't taken him?
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Jan 30, '11 6:28pm PST 
Granted, our family is doing a lot better these days than 3-4 years ago, but we did raise Boris on two student incomes for a year and a half, and had 2 cats for 6 months of that. It wasn't ideal, but it was doable. No one ever questioned whether we should have pets because we prioritized their well being, as everyone who's on catster does. I think the most expensive thing we ever bought all that time was a cat tree for $50 (if you look on e-bay you can find some steals), followed by cat food. For a while our cats were eating better than we were.

Like Kaya said, cats don't necessarily need more than food, a few toys (and if you're Boris, anything the humans own is a toy wink) and love. Even the cheapest cat food when given with love is better than a life on the street for a cat, and there are so many homeless cats in this country!

Besides, I have seen women with manicured nails and designer clothes shopping at your organic food grocery store reach for the grocery store brand of cat or dog food because it's cheaper than anything else, rather than because it's necessarily the best choice for their pet (I have to bite my tongue really hard when I see that). If that's not proof that having money doesn't necessarily make you a better pet owner, I don't know what is.
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Mon Jan 31, '11 7:39am PST 
this is Bella, Ruffy, Smokie and Natalie the Natcat's mom. I wanted to post on this and offer perhaps a little of how I see this:

I work now in Social Services. I work for an agency that works with people who have their children in foster care. Many are good people who have serious troubles. Many love their children. Sadly, many can't take care of them, and don't get them back. Some do, and work very hard to make their lives and their childrens lives better. Some have such obstacles that they have a very challening time. Some are just so young that they don't understand the responsiblity of a child, the day to day stuff that would seem one should know of.

Some 11 years ago, I worked at a no kill shelter for many years. I was eventually 'let go' because I was not 'popular'. I did not do adoptions based on making the shelter a place anyone could come, but the place people who were well screened, proved they were up to take care of a pet, and who had the common sense, dedication, stability and responsible nature to do so. I always gave preference to those who got great marks from their vets, or friends of those w ho volunteered. I knew volunteers would make sure their friends took good care of their animals.
I have mixed feelings about 'low income' people having pets. I don't they they shouldn't-I don't know, I work, and so does my husband, and there is no way we are 'high income! Not with the health issues our furkids have! I myself have been out of work at various times in my life, and for various reasons. I was lucky that I had good people to help me, a great family, and that my cats at these times were my solace. However, they always had vet care, had good food and fresh water, and plenty of attention.
that said, I am so grateful that I didn't have the medical issues with my cats that I ahve with my cats now!
There is no black and white to this. Last week we almost got another cat to foster. As it was, the man, who owrks with our rescue, found what seems a 'furever' home for the little girl. We wanted her-especially me....very much. But we knew it would be pushing it. It didn't happen because we explained to this fellow we would need 2 days to borrow a cage (we use a cage just for a little bit for a new cat to get used to the others, and they to the new cat. We did not do this with Natalie because she was so frail and tiny and we didn't want her going from a cage to another cage). But we let this fellow Tony know that if the adoption fell through, we would at any time be willing to take the little lady cat-we just needed to borrow a cage from the rescue. We did this because...well, me for selfish reasons liked the little girl alot, but we had to be practical...we live in 2 rooms right now with a big cat tree for climbiing. We have 4 cats with various medical issues. We love our cats...they are our family....they are a part of us.
I think it's not so much about income, Its how responsible you are, the kind of a person you are, and what you can provide to the animal, and where that cat (or dog, or hamster, or reptile or whatever) fits into your family.
I do think that having a pet is a privlige. It's an Honor. And it's a very big responsiblity. But to me, they come first, and they are so very worth it.kitty
[notify]

Dr. House

OBEY!

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 5:14am PST 
If you can provide vet care and take care of there needs- Income doesn't matter. I've met people who have plenty of money who don't love, care for or give a damn about there cats. I helped rescue a cat from under a guys car who lived in a exclusive neighborhood whos cat had two broken and infected legs with maggots and puss in it. It also had feluke. He called me to say I had 1hr to get it before he decided to drown it.
I've also met homeless people with cats who adore there animals and find every way possible to take good care of them. A cat doesn't need a $300 cat tree to be happy or a expensive food to feel loved. Nor do they need a bunch of expensive toys (my cat loves a paper bag)
We've been hit very hard by the recession and have had to go to the food bank and also get financial help. But anymore so, there is plenty of assistance for low income people and there pets. The food bank gives food and supplies, the shelter gives out supplies and vaccinations and the city and shelters offer free spaying and neutering. People who are anti-low income people having pets have no idea what they are talking about when they assume more money= better care.
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 6:06am PST 
again all i can say is...living on less than 7K a year. kaya, jadyn and wesley are my cats-ignore the others on their 'family' page, it's complicated. after rent, i have less than $200 dollars budgeted, though i do have money saved for emergencies. look at kaya's page, at jadyn's, at wesley's.
i'm betting, natcat's mom, that if i had walked into your shelter with my less than $200 after rent-and my inability to communicate with most humans i don't know well IRL-you would have been dubious. and it would have been a bad call, because my cats are happy, healthy and fit. personally? unless you have reason to believe someone will abuse an animal, i think you need to avoid making a judgment at all. again...less than $200 a month after rent. my cats eat (grain-free and canned), have toys, have kitty furniture, have vet care. it can be done. it just takes ingenuity and imagination.
[notify]

Buddy Bolden

Happy Cat

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 9:09am PST 
P & T: Yes, I like going to the Feed and Pet Store. Usually at Jefferson Feed and Seed on Jefferson Hwy and Central Ave. It is just down the street from my Vet (Ark Animal Clinic). Miss living down in St. Bernard Parish, we had Double M Feed and Seed there in Chalmette. I find the staff at these stores very helpful also.

Strange, all the Feed Stores are basically within the greater New Orleans area. I live out in Destrehan now, and while I pass horses in a pasture on my way home, there are no Feed and Pet Stores in St. Charles Parish.

Oh, for all those from out of Louisiana we have parishes instead of counties. Otherwise it would sound as if my church parish also ran a Feed and Pet store.....MOL...MOL.
[notify]

kaya skye

Purred: Tue Mar 29, '11 10:29am PST 
the religious meme could be especially reinforced by the Ark reference, Buddy...big grin...so a good thing you let those who aren't familiar with LA know about the parish/county/borough nomenclature thing.laugh out loud
(btw? have now found a vet who will make housecalls, and who will give me a disability discount...dancing...)
[notify]

(Page 2 of 6: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6