GO!

Cat Attacking Landlord

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Sat Aug 1, '09 1:48pm PST 
Ok so my cats are somewhat vicious. I will be the first to admit it. Not to us or to our friends but if someone new (or my mother-in-law) comes into our apartment they will growl at them.
The other day our landlord came into the apartment when we were not home. I guess Sabre and Rodney growled and hissed at him and Rodney bit him. Normally they do not bite just growl but I am assuming they were scared.
Our landlord is saying our cats are a danger to the building and are telling us that we either need to move or have the cats put down. They NEVER NEVER NEVER go out of the apartment, not even into the hallway. They are registered with the town. Can he really force us to move or put them down...btw we would move. Also, in Canada, can we be charged because Rodney bit, while he was in our apartment and we were not there? He would not have bitten if we were there because he has come in before and its never been a problem.
[notify]

Lilly

I'm Lilly of the- valley

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 12:42pm PST 
Well the question is.. did he give you 24 hrs notice before entering the premises? Here in the states that is the law, not sure what the law are in Canada. He was in YOUR apt. The cats probably felt threatened with you not there and someone they didn't know in their house. I find it hard to believe that the cat would run up and attack him. If he reached down to pet the cat or grab then it's his own fault. Not sure they can throw you out if you are allowed to have pets and they do not go outside. If he's going to be coming into your place any tyime soon. Maybe you could lock them in the bathroom or bedroom for a bit till he does what he has to. I have to run right now, but I'll look up some stuff for you when I get back.
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 1:08pm PST 
Hi Lilly. Yes they do have to give 24 hours notice before coming in and he didn't. I am thinking your right when you said he probably tried to pet him.
We are allowed pets in the building and he knew we had two cats. A friend of ours is a lawyer and he said the landlord can't force us to put them down simply because he was in our apartment without us knowing but he may be able to kick us out.
[notify]

Lilly

I'm Lilly of the- valley

Purred: Sun Aug 2, '09 3:15pm PST 
He absolutely can NOT kick you out if he did not give you notice upon entering your residence. I would have your lawyer drawn up a letter to this landlord stating in no uncertain term that is NOT to enter your place without 24 hrs notice. This against the law. If he does it again you will proceed with legal action. Good luck!
[notify]

Rodney

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Tue Aug 4, '09 1:28pm PST 
Well we told the landlord we refused to put the cats down and at this moment we refused to move. He knows we are moving in a month and I think this is his way to get ride of us sooner. We invited him back into the apartment to prove to him that the cats were only scared and that they don't just attack.
We did get the lawyer to draw up a letter stating that "under no circumstances can the a fore mentioned be evicted from the property without evidence that the cats in question are proven to be a hazard to the building, causing harm/damage to the building or are allowed to roam free in the building halls."
That should keep him quiet for a while considering our cats are none of those.
[notify]

Lilly

I'm Lilly of the- valley

Purred: Tue Aug 4, '09 2:04pm PST 
Liker I said I would of stipulated that he not enter your residence without 24 hours notice. I guess if you are already moving hopefully he won't do it again.
[notify]

Courage

The Pantalooned- Pink Panther

Purred: Wed Feb 10, '10 3:20pm PST 
My big cat growls at everyone who walks through the door. Some morons really traumatized him shortly before we discovered him and left him with people-phobia. It was so bad when he first came home with us, I had to keep the place closed up during the day, when lots of people were moving about.

He growls and hisses whenever someone visits us but as long as nobody tries to corner him, he won't hurt anybody. Are you sure the cat even bit the landlord? Did he show you a mark? I am wondering if maybe the landlord was startled by a hissing growling cat when he opened your door and made the incident out to be more than what actually happened.

BTW, he cannot tell you to put your cats to sleep (NOBODY has the right to make you to put your perfectly healthy cats to sleep) and he cannot tell you to move before your rental agreement or lease is up. He was in your apartment illegally (didn't give you any notice at all) and there is no documented proof your cat bit him. Did he have a doctor look at the bite? Did he take a picture of the spot where the cat supposably bit him?

What a jerk...I hope the place you are moving to has better landlordswishes
[notify]

Vinnie

Have you loved- your human- today!

Purred: Tue Mar 2, '10 2:58pm PST 
First of all, as a landlord I need to say that he shouldn't be in your appartment while you are out. Unless there is a gas leak or the pipes broke. Just to go in and wander around is against the law.
Next thing is, there can be more to the story about the biting but your cats can't talk. Did he scare them, hit them, move them abruptly or do they just not like him?
As long as you keep the animals clean, they litter boxes from smelling and they are regestered in your town there shouldn't be any problem.
I would inform your landlord not to enter your home unless he is invited in. It's a matter of ethics! Good luck!
[notify]

Vinnie

Have you loved- your human- today!

Purred: Tue Mar 2, '10 3:06pm PST 
Forgot to ask, what was his reason for being in the appartment in the first place. Now that is creapy! Who knows what he was looking at while he was in the appartment. I'm also a persian cat breeder, 2 cats that are well loved and taken care of shouldn't get you evicted. He should be really careful that someone doesn't sue him for trespassing. Just because he is the landlord DOES NOT give him the right to enter your appartment. Again take care and good luck!
[notify]

Miss Molly

Little Miss- Molly

Purred: Wed Mar 3, '10 1:09am PST 
I think you need to have the landlord or super come over again without any notice to you and then you have the cats hide from them. When they come in univited this time your cats attack them and hold them hostage until you get home. Upon the horror of seeing them being held hostage you call a kitty cat hostage negotiating team. Then they talk your cats into coming out with their paws in the air and they get arrested and go to court and the judge puts your super and landlord in jail for trespassing and the story ends happily ever after!!! Do I think it will happen? No, I don't but it is fun to have fantasies don;t you agree?
[notify]