GO!

Cats dissected in high school class rooms

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

Topic closed to new posts.
(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7  
Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 4:25pm PST 
My mum also refused to take part in the obligatory rat dissection in her biology class (almost 20 years ago) and is dumbfounded that they are dissecting CATS these days???!!!
How totally unneccessary and dispicablefrown
[notify]

Tigga- (1996-2013)

The Chemist

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 4:28pm PST 
Athena, do you know what the school is and where?
[notify]

Hopper

Get outta my- space!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 4:39pm PST 
They did fetal pigs at Mom's school, but that was for the advanced science class, which luckily she was not in so she did not have to do!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 9:05pm PST 
mom graduated form high school in !992 and took a 2 year anantomy/physiology class her Junior and senior year in school. You were given 1 cat for the 2 year course and learned every muscle, bone, body part, etc. It was a very informative class. I would take it again if given the chance.
Cat dissection is not routinely done in high school biology. It is typically reserved for AP courses or Anatomy classes. This is not something your typical high school student is going to come across. Biology course will often have you dissect earthworms, frogs, fetal pigs and sheep's or cow's eyes.

Human cadavers are used in college medical courses. Cats are used in veterinary courses.

Unfortunately, unlike human medicine where one can donate him or herself to medical science, cats are often sold into the market by "brokers." These people can get animals from people who get them free from unsuspecting people giving away their "free to a good home" pets. It is important that the schools are getting their animals from a reputable source.
When adopting an animal to someone, check references and ALWAYS ask for a small fee. This will often times discourage these types of prople form "adopting" your pet just to turn around and sell for profit.
[notify]

Winnie and- Chester

Mom...he just- bounced me- again!

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 9:24pm PST 
Arthur you are completely wrong. In many states there are laws that the cats that are sold for use in science/anatomy classes must be bred for that, they can NOT use shelter animals. Either way it is sad but they are not going out and using people's pets as you stated.

I am a little suprised you havent heard of this before (those that hadn't). I am 37 and we had to do this both in high school and in college. While I love animals more than anyone, I was a pre-med student and you are wrong the same can come from a computer. There is skills that need to be learned in how to find the different structures and how to isolate them in a live being that you can NOT replicate, it is a tactile skill. I will flat out say I would much rather have a dr who learned on the real thing than just on a computer, cause otherwise they are learning on me.

You also act like this isnt something they also do on humans. They use humans in gross anatomy class!!!! I love animals dearly, but the education they provide gives them great purpose in this and their contribution to the medical field is very necessary and also greatly appreciated by many
[notify]

Elisabeth- Ann

Doodle Noodle

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 10:04pm PST 
I dont really support cat dissections mainly because I'm a cat lover but I have to agree with Hunter! However, we've met quite a few Georgia students (not even close to AP, hehe) who have had to dissect cats and dogs. This is where the cat dissection computer program should be brought in.

Edited by author Thu May 3, '07 10:09pm PST

[notify]

Aragorn (In- Memory)

One Cool Cat

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 10:26pm PST 
Yes, the first thing would be like Oliver said: go to the principal of the school, or the board of directors, but you don't have to stop there. Go to your senators, go to your representatives, state your case so they can actually pass a law to prohibit HS dissection.

♥Madd- y- McCatterson

Slappin- beagles.......it- 's what I do.

Purred: Thu May 3, '07 11:11pm PST 
If cats are specifically bred for dissection that is sickening. If they are using cats that have already been euthanized I could handle that better as the cat has already been pts and the body might help future vets for example. I view that much as a human donating their body to science after death. But the breeding them to kill them is just wrong IMO. While I can understand the need for people who are in vet school, i cannot understand why a high school student would need to disect a real cat. Just makes me feel really bad.
[notify]

Pippin

Can I have a- straw?

Purred: Fri May 4, '07 12:35am PST 
Our Mom did it in junior A&P too-the worst part about it was that her group's kitty was pregnant.
She protested as much as possible, but the school system she went to school in was very redneck and closed-minded-it never got anywhere.
She's still disgusted to this day.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Fri May 4, '07 2:04am PST 
Here are a couple well-known humane organization writings on the subject:

Frequently Asked Questions about Dissection -- HSUS
Cat Dissection Factsheet from the AntiVivisection Society
As well as an informative article:
BioCo News: Animal Dissection

(Page 2 of 7: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  7