GO!

The link between animal abuse and human violence

This is a forum to discuss legislation and legal matters pertaining to the rights and welfare of cats. Please remember to counter ideas and opinions with which you don't agree with friendly and helpful advice and responses.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Beloved- Angel Amelia- loves HL!

I am finally- with my True- Love Bill....

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '07 5:12pm PST 
Hi everyone! I'm one of the cats involved in the cat abuse video scandal. I am presently involved in putting together information on the link betweeen animal abuse and human violence, which the FBI has been studying for decades. All serial killers and all the school shooters (at least the high school ones) share a history of animal violence. It is one the THE red flags for predicting that a child will become a sociopath.

If there are any kitties interested in helping me out by sending any info you have, please do so! I have gathered lots of good material from the Humane Society who have been promoting a "First Strike" program aimed at showing the link between animal abuse and human violence.

And don't forget to sign our petition against youtube!! And pass it on to as many people as you can!!!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/956629011

It is a petition to ask youtube, where one of our members found a video depicting a boy's violent actions toward his cat, to better police their site and adhere to their stated policy of not showing abusive videos.

THANKS EVERY CAT!!! kitty
[notify]

Bambi

Little Woman

Purred: Fri Apr 27, '07 9:44pm PST 
cheerWonderful work! Round of applause for you Amelia and thanks for all your hard work!cheercheercheercheercheercheercheercheer
[notify]

Trixie

Ms. Trix ... the- huntress

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 5:29pm PST 
This is mine and Mums first piece of research, among many (that will slowly begin to follow, MOL). I sure hope that some of this helps Amelia. And if, at some point, you find us going in the wrong direction, just let us know - Mumsie tends to get carried away!

"Conduct Disorder" (otherwise known as sociopathetic behaviour)
-More of a checklist for the criteria (includes agression towards animals)
http://www.psychnet-uk.com/dsm_iv/conduct_disorder.htm

*******This is just a small, tiny piece of information. Mumsie is looking for statistics and will even try to get some expert opinions from her Psych Professors (who have been published, and are credible)
[notify]

Trixie

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 6:18pm PST 
I will post what I have individually to make it a bit more easy to read. Also, Mumsie says that she has not begun to crack her text books yetbig grin I have posted the website for you to read through, which I would suggest, and I also quoted some things which stuck out from the articles and may be of impotance.

"The Link Between Animal Abuse and Family Violence"

-Includes some studies, for example;
"In one study that looked at violent criminals, a significantly higher rate of aggressive criminals had a history of animal abuse. Another study held in 1983 showed that 60% of families, who met the New Jersey State criterion for child abuse, also abused or neglected the family pet. And, in a 1997 study that surveyed 38 women seeking refuge from an abusive relationship, 71% reported having a pet that was threatened or harmed by their batterer."
"The infamous Jeffrey Dahmer impaled frogs and cats on sticks as a youngster. Theodore Bundy was linked to graveyards filled with animal bones."
"More recently, many of the youngsters involved in school shootings have also had histories of animal abuse. Luke Woodham, age 16, who shot his mother and killed two classmates wrote in his journal that he had beat, burned and tortured the family dog Sparkle to death. He described the experience as "true beauty." Kip Kinkel of Oregon, age 15, who opened fire on his classmates in his Oregon high school often bragged of torturing animals. If someone would have reported that animal abuse was occurring, an intervention might have been possible."

http://www.mag.maricopa.gov/dv/About_DV/Animal_Abuse/a nimal_abuse.html

***********In fact, the Domestic Violence Council is supported through an "innovative grant from the Govenor's Office for children, Youth and Families, Division for Women as well as MAG, The Marcopia Association of Governments, which is a council of Government's that serves as the regional agency for the metropolitian Phoenix area.

Edited by author Sat Apr 28, '07 6:21pm PST

[notify]

Trixie

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 6:19pm PST 
"The FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appears in its computer records of serial rapists and murderers, and the standard diagnostic and treatment manual for psychiatric and emotional disorders lists cruelty to animals a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorders. (Daniel Goleman, The New York Times, 8-7-91)"
"Studies have shown that violent and aggressive criminals are more likely to have abused animals as children than criminals considered non-aggressive. (New Orleans Times-Picayune, 1-1-87) A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well, including one patient who had murdered a young boy. (Child Psychiatry & Human Development, 1980) To researchers, a fascination with cruelty to animals is a red flag in the lives of serial rapists and killer."
"In 88% of 57 New Jersey families being treated for child abuse, animals in the house had been abused. (International Journal for the Study of Animal Problems, 1983) Of 23 British families with a history of animal neglect, 83% had been identified by experts as having children at risk of abuse or neglect."

http://www.tulsaspca.org/articles/abuse_history.html
[notify]

Trixie

"Acts of violence directed against animals by children are among the earliest sentinel indicators of conduct disorder and manifestations of the intergenerational cycle of violence that researchers are just now coming to understand. "Cruelty to animals is a predictor of violent behavior, and as good a predictor as I have seen," says William Ritter, District Attorney for Denver, Colo. Anthropologist Margaret Mead has written that the worst thing that can happen to a child is to harm an animal - and get away with it."
"Acts of violence directed against animals by children are among the earliest sentinel indicators of conduct disorder and manifestations of the intergenerational cycle of violence that researchers are just now coming to understand. "Cruelty to animals is a predictor of violent behavior, and as good a predictor as I have seen," says William Ritter, District Attorney for Denver, Colo. Anthropologist Margaret Mead has written that the worst thing that can happen to a child is to harm an animal - and get away with it."

http://www.animaltherapy.net/ChildAbuse.html
[notify]

Trixie

"Alberto Desalvo, the self-confessed 1962-63 "Boston Strangler" who killed thirteen women had,as a youth, trapped dogs and cats in orange crates and shot arrows through the boxes."
"Carroll Edward Cole, executed in 1985, was one of the most prolific killers in moden history. His first act of violence as a child was to strangle a cat."
"Brenda Spencer fired forty shots at San Diego school children, fatally wounding two and injuring nine others. Neighbors later informed police that Spencer had repeatedly abused dogs and cats, often setting their tails on fire."

http://www.vospca.org/archive/abuse.html
[notify]

Beloved- Angel Amelia- loves HL!

I am finally- with my True- Love Bill....

Purred: Sat Apr 28, '07 7:23pm PST 
waveOh Trixie, you are an angel!!!cloud 9Thank you so much! This is exactly what I am looking for!!

Has anyone heard if the shooter had Virginia Tech had any animal abuse in his background? So far I have found nothing to suggest it. It is sad to say, but if something were found, with this case being so prominent, it would make OUR case so much more compelling...red face
[notify]

Nico

Come here, let- me love you

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '07 9:42am PST 
Amelia,
we've looked throughout the internet and found nothing. We'll keep up the research.
[notify]

Zero

Zero ZEE!

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '07 6:23pm PST 
Really good fact sheet on Conduct Disorders from The American Academy of child & Adolescent Psychiarty

http://aacap.org/page.ww?name=Conduct+Disorder§ion =Facts+for+Families
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2