GO!

Rescue kitten

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Harmony- Rayne

Purred: Fri Jun 5, '15 10:36pm PST 
A feral outside had 6 kittens in our backyard approximately 3 weeks ago.. In the past week we have managed to tame her to where we can not only pet her, but she is seeking out our affections. Tomorrow we are taking her to the vet to get wormed and tested for FELV/FIV. When the kittens are weaned we are going to get her spayed and take the kittens to a no kill rescue. My mom brought in the runt tonight because she is afraid he is not getting enough milk. Then we brought in a small sibling who we felt not only needed more milk, but would help keep the first kitten company. He is also a bit feral, so the handling will be good for him. We are feeding him KMR every three hours. His eyes looked kinda gunky so we cleaned them and put some terrimyacim in thethem. I think my one question is: Is feeding him every 3 hours enough or should I do eery 2 hours?

Edited by author Sat Jun 6, '15 12:00am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '15 4:44am PST 
I've heard every two hours for babies. Maybe you could do every 2 during the day and every 3 overnight? And great work taking these babies in. The best part is getting the mom spayed so this won't happen again. Good job!
[notify]

Lilly

I'm Lilly of the- valley

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '15 6:12am PST 
We are definately getting her spayed.. we believe she is under a year old and do not want her to have another litter. Ok another question: Because it was late at night we had no bottle, but they were able to lap up the milk. Should we bother with a bottle or continue to let them lap it up?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '15 12:33pm PST 
It's not real milk, right? You need to get kitten formula. Most cats are actually lactose intolerant. If they can eat on their own by all means, let them! And if they're old enough to lap up milk you can probably get them onto canned food - you should check with the vet.
[notify]

Behr

I'm bearly a- Behr

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '15 3:24pm PST 
No it'snot regular milk. I know better than to feed them that. This is Kitten Replacemnt Milk.
[notify]

Lilly

I'm Lilly of the- valley

Purred: Sat Jun 6, '15 6:40pm PST 
We ended up taking them all of the kittens inside and I feel bad. This momma cat is only 9 months old. She is totally emaciated from having to feed 6 kittens, plus I think she has tape worms. I tried to take her to the vet this morning, but I couldn't get her in the carrier. We feed her food twice a day plus give her kitten replacement milk to help boost her calories. I am starting to have second thoughts about this whole thing. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Jerry

Zooooom!

Purred: Wed Jun 17, '15 8:48am PST 
What did you decide? How are things going?

I'm sorry I didn't see this thread before. Can we get an update?

I think in this situation, I would suggest working with the rescue group sooner rather than later. They can help trap the mother so she can be taken to the vet and might be able to find foster homes for her and the kittens.

Sending purrs! Keep us posted! hug

Behr

I'm bearly a- Behr

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '15 8:54am PST 
Well here is an update: Mom and babies are doing fine. We took all of them to the vet because we were worried about momma being so thin and the kitten were having diarrhea. They told us to feed her canned kitten food 4 times, but she will probably not gain a lot of weight till she get's apayed. You would never know this momma was totally feral 2 weeks ago. It's amazing to see the change in her. She loves to be petted and rubs on your legs, We are still having some diarrhea issues with the kittens and not sure what to do. The vet put them on antibiotics even though their stool came back negative for parasites, I am soaking dry food in water, mushing it and adding a little wet kitten food to it. I noticed if I gave them straight kitten food they had diarrhea. They are 6 weeks old now, shouldn't they be able to get just straight kitten food? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Feraldine

Purred: Mon Jun 22, '15 2:25am PST 
What I did when Feraldine's kittens were about 4 weeks old was to start giving Feraldine and the kittens a couple of cans of canned food once a day (in addition to making sure Feraldine always has dry food and water available.) The biggest kitten, the tortie point, was first to start eating canned food in addition to nursing. The smallest kitten, the black female, didn't start eating canned food until after she was 6 weeks old. Once the kittens were eating canned food well, I started feeding Feraldine and the kittens canned food twice a day. You can read more of my experiences with Feraldine and her kittens in her diary.
[notify]

Behr

I'm bearly a- Behr

Purred: Sat Jun 27, '15 8:39am PST 
They all started eating wet and dry at 4 weeks in addition to nursing. I was feeding them 3/4 of a can of wet food 4 times a day, and I think that was part of their diarrhea problem. I have cut it to 3 times a day and their bowels seem to betting a little better. I think the can food was just too rich for their little tummy's. They are growing like weeds and play like crazy, so I don't think I need to worry to much.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2