GO!

New to Catster, new to cats, have some questions!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Thu Dec 26, '13 11:46am PST 
Meow! Hi everyone!
I am a dog person, and have said many time that I would never have a cat, buuuuttt...I did fall in love when my mom got two kittens awhile ago. I had just moved away from home and I wanted a little buddy to keep me company. I spend a lot of time in my apartment. I go to my classes online due to anxiety problems. I was sad and pretty lonely during the day when my roommate was out going to classes. We talked over getting a small dog (our apartment has weight limits) but neither of us wanted to hike up and down 4 flights of stairs several times a day to potty the dog, not to mention we live in the muddle of the city so...no grass. Anywho, we talked about mice, rabbits, ferrets, birds...until we decided to get a kitty. I told me mom we where looking for a cat, so... she got me one for my birthday. She's 4 months old, and she's the sweetest little thing. She's slept with me every night since I've been at my moms (I'm visiting for the holidays, I go back home Jan 11th) and she follows me around meowing at me to pick her up. My roommate stopped by last night and LOVES her as well. Now, here are my questions. I've only cared for dogs before, so I'm a bit confused how caring for a kitty works. red face

Litter boxes. There are so many kinds of littler boxes and litters! What is best? Shes fantastic about using them, but she also throws litter EVERYWHERE. What's the best way to keep her mess contained? Will I just have to sweep it all up daily and will she grow out of it?

Collars. My mom doesn't keep collars on her cats, but she does have them for them. They rip them off and they get lost under things. Is it necessary to have her wear one with tags on them or is it okay to have her naked all the time?

Grooming. I'm ever so slightly allergic to cats. It's not horrible, and I wouldn't get rid of her because of it. I'm perfectly okay with taking allergy meds when needed. I'm just wondering what sort of grooming I should be doing with her. She doesn't shed to badly now, but I do want her to be used to the process of being brushed/bathed or what have you.

Thank you everyfur!
Arwen's mommy. cat on moon
[notify]

♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Thu Dec 26, '13 11:55am PST 
Oh, I forgot the most important question! When do females normally have their first heat and how can you tell? She's not spayed yet, but she will be. Will I have to get little kitty pads if it happens before her spay?laugh out loud
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 9:46am PST 
It's Stella. You should start thinking about getting her spayed soon, as they can go into heat after 5 months. You won't need to get pads--any fluids expressed are cleaned up by the kitty. But you might need ear plus for you as they can make a LOT of noise. It's better for the kitty never to go through it. You need to find a vet you like soon.

You are in the window of "anything is possible" with your kitten. You can easily get her to use a covered pan, if that is a good idea for your home. We don't know about those automatic cat pans ourselves. With collars, it is a good idea to get the kitty to wear a collar just in case she gets outside or there is some problem. Identification can be very important at such times. We found that out when my two fur sibs got out. There are a lot of gray and white cats in our area and it would have been helpful if they were wearing a collar.

Congratulations on getting a kitty! You won't be sorry and you will have a lifetime of love from her. Enjoy all of the sweetness of a young kitten who now things you are her mother. Giant purrs to you from all of us! hug
[notify]

♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Fri Dec 27, '13 11:04am PST 
Thank you for the response Stella! I heard covered litter boxes where bad, but they look pretty good to me! Keeps everything where it is supposed to be. I will get one of those when I go shopping for her things. My mom thinks she might be in heat already...she's very vocal! But we don't know what her personality is generally like. She is 5 months today! I'm going to make some calls to our shelter here as they do low cost spays and I would like to get that done before I go home with her. I can't wait to get all of her things set up in my apartment.happy dance Last night she hopped up next to me and slept right by my head all night.cloud 9 I woke up this morning to her purring and kneading my forehead. Hehe!

I will get her a cute collar and some ID tags as well.dancing
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sat Dec 28, '13 7:38pm PST 
It's Stella. If she is in heat, she would be waving her rear end around and rolling on the ground and other kinds of things. Basically her rear end sticks up in the air no matter what position she is in. If you think this is happening, find a vet right after the holiday and get her done. The vet will charge more to spay if the cat is in heat, and it is more dangerous for her because of increased blood circulation in the area.

Some kitties are just vocal--like me! big grin It's a good thing that I never went into heat, because the noise would have been spectacular!

Lots of purrs to Arwen and hope she is happy in her new home! If she ever figures out that you don't know anything about cats, she will train you to feed her pate fois gras and sleep on swansdown. laugh out loud
[notify]

♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Sat Dec 28, '13 10:16pm PST 
She is in heat...I was watching her play with my moms male cat Ditto. She kept crouching with her butt in the air, doing a little tap dance. She has an appointment with a vet by my home, since I'm still at my moms. I want the vet to be by my home. Good thing Ditto is fixed, though he didn't seem to understand what Arwen wanted anyway. LOL I ordered a fun cat tree today since our apartment is really small, I want her to have some climbing space. This thing is skinny and tall, and attaches to the ceiling! happy dance I got her a collar and tags so she can start getting used to that right away as well. cheer She's a really good kitty and already a spoiled princess. I hope moving her to my home goes well. I'm worried she'll miss my moms cats. Someone's always home so she'll never spend more than 3-4 hours on her own, but I feel bad that she won't have her kitty buddies anymore once I take her home.
[notify]

Stella

Purred: Sun Dec 29, '13 9:47am PST 
It's Stella. Be careful that Arwen doesn't go outside or try to get out a door and run away. They have the strongest desire to find a male cat during this time, and being with the neutered cat there is obviously not going to work. Our sympathies for you all having to go through with this during the holidays. She is pretty young for this, but it seems like healthy kittens start younger than they did in the past, just like the age of puberty is getting younger for humans.

She will LOVE the climbing tree. We got our first one last year, a cheap one from Wal-Mart and we loved it so much we nearly destroyed it. So she got us a stronger and more nicely carpeted one from Petsmart, and we sleep on it all the time. Since we are pretty old, 6 & 7, we do not do as much scampering and running up and down, so I imagine that it would be wonderful as a kitten. Can you put it in front of a window? Cats love windows and they love looking down on people, so a cat tree by a window is nirvana!

Giant purrs to you all from the Grays, and may you have a very happy 2014 with your new kitty companion! wave
[notify]

♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Sun Dec 29, '13 10:56am PST 
She's been a door dasher since we've had her, so we always look around before opening doors. I grew up with a door dashing husky so I'm well versed in the art of sneaking out without your pet flying out.laugh out loud

I have a small sun area in my apartment with wrap around windows, and that's where I plan on putting the cat tree. We're on the third floor as well, so you can see into the top of this tree really well, and there's ALWAYS squirrels and birds in it.

She ripped off her collar last night and I have yet to find it. shrug
[notify]

Aragorn (In- Memory)

One Cool Cat

Purred: Mon Dec 30, '13 6:53pm PST 
Just a suggestion: When you take her to be spayed it would be a good idea to have her micro-chipped while she is under.

♛ Arwen- ♛

MEOW.

Purred: Sun Jan 12, '14 1:31pm PST 
Well, just an update! Arwen made the two hour long car ride to her home with me yesterday and she did really well. We had her carrier, but she actually wore a kitty harness and a leash and slept on my lap the ENTIRE ride. She wasn't fazed one bit by the car ride. Today is her first full day here, and she's doing really well. I woke up to her curled up on my pillow and purring! She ate her plate of wet food this morning like a champ (after she realized that was all she was getting. No pancakes like she would have liked laugh out loud) She used her litter box, then she spent a good amount of time chasing her stuffed mice all over, then coming over and meowing at me when they went under the fridge. Right now she's sitting on the desk, staring out the windows. Go figure, spend money on a big cat tree and she prefers to just sit on the desk. She's giving me stank eyes every so often because I won't allow her to sit on my keyboard. Her favorite place to lay! She has her first vet appointment with her new vet on Wednesday and I'll be asking about getting her spayed and micro chipped, though she leaves her collar on now! happy dance
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2