GO!

To insure or not to insure, that is the question...........

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Purred: Wed Nov 13, '13 11:26pm PST 
I have just bought a (beautiful) British Shorthair Blue called Trinity. Although she is a pedigree, she is not good enough for breeding but that does NOT stop me loving her! She came with 4 weeks free insurance and I have been quoted £155 a year to insure her.

I have had lots of moggies in the past and I have never insured any of them. With the exception of Missy who died at the ripe old age of 19, the only time I had a serious illness was Georgina, who got cancer in her knee bone. At the time my vet did not offer a treatment as she was too weak and as soon as she showed that she was in pain I had her put to sleep.

Basically, I feel that the insurance companies are taking advantage of our feelings for our beloved cats and charging us as much as they think they can get away with.

So what do you think? Should I get insurance for Trinity or not?
[notify]

Mordred,PAWS

No Not-Moms!!!!

Purred: Fri Nov 15, '13 1:13pm PST 
ALL insurance, human included, will "charge as much as they can get away with." The fact is that veterinary medicine advances at a rapid rate; what was impossible 10 years ago is now routine. Along with those advances - for which we should all be grateful - come higher bills. Doctors must pay for the latest equipment and medications, costs that rightfully are passed on to those who use them.

When Mordred was diagnosed with a heart murmur, I took him to a cardiologist; the bill was more than $400. I was so relieved that I'd bought insurance for him to help pay the bill. That brings up another point: today, there are veterinary s p e c i a l i s ts in just about any medical field you can think of, and, as with human doctors, their services are not cheap. This wasn't true in years past; one vet treated all illnesses and conditions. Times have definitely changed - for the better!

What made me decide to insure my cats (besides being urged by a pet sitter) was the time I spent on a pet-loss site, where there were frequent posts from people who had a beloved furchild who'd developed some horrid disease or who had had a catastrophic accident, ane these people could not afford the expensive treatment that was necessary, and so they had no choice but to send their beloved furchild on to Rainbow Bridge. I never, ever want to face that decision, and having insurance on Mordred, Althea, and Blue gives me that peace of mind that comes with knowing the insurance is there.

Yes, in my opinion, you definitely should have health insurance on any pet you care about.
[notify]