GO!

What do you think of this?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:29am PST 
Hi, everyone - I think I may be worrying about nothing, but I figured I'd post in case it turns into something more.

First, I don't mean to be overly worrisome about a kitten. It's just that Edison was 18 when I lost him in September, and I'd had him for 17 1/2 years, so - there you have it! It's been 17 1/2 years since I've had a kitten, so I'm a bit out of practice, and I want to do my absolute best for Violet. I don't want to screw anything up, you know?

Miss Violet has been a very good girl, and tomorrow makes three weeks since I've had her. She does her crazy kitten stuff, but nothing out of the ordinary. I was told she was feral (2 mos. old when I got her, she'll be 3 mos. old Nov. 5th), but she's been socializing and bonding with me beautifully. Eating and drinking normally, she's been very cuddly and affectionalte, and she's using the litterbox normally, and for it's intended purpose!

So last night, she was a little more "crazy" than usual, but there had also been some workmen in my building during the day, and since I was at work, I don't know how much their noise may have disturbed her. We played, she ate, I cuddled her to try to calm her down, and then I just let her romp around and play with her toys.

So she goes over to her litterbox, and starts digging around in it with her paw. She's outside the box, but there's something in there she's after. Suddenly, she flips a clump of litter out (it was pee) and starts batting it around like a toy. I went over and grabbed the scoop and flipped it back into the box, and said, "No, Violet - that's pee pee, not a toy. You only use this box to pee and poop in, okay?" I went to get a baggie to scoop the box out, and before I could, she dug in and flipped out the exact same clump of pee! There were a couple of other clumps in there, and a couple of poops (I had just gotten home from work and hadn't tackled the box yet), but both times, she only showed a particular interest in "rescuing" this specific clump.

Here's where I don't know if I'm worrying for no reason - I scooped the box and took a look at the clump she was so interested in. It turns out that the pee had clumped into the exact size and shape of one of her favorite toys! She has a little black mouse (one of those little fur covered ones) that she just loves, and except for the tail, this clump of pee was the exact size and shape! The litter had even darkened to a dark gray color, which may have been close enough to black for her.

So I scooped the box and threw out the clumps and poop. She dove back into the box to check out where her "toy" had gone, saw that the box was empty, and didn't seem overly concerned. I hunted around and found actual "black mouse" and tossed him to her, and that seemed to calm her down.

Do you think she had some kind of issue with the litterbox, or do you think it was a case of "mistaken identity" on her part? And if it might be a litterbox issue, any suggestions on how to fix it before it becomes a bigger problem?

(Although honestly, I do think I'm just worrying for no reason...) laugh out loud
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:49am PST 
This is a kitten being a kitten. I've never had cats who thought the litter box was a playground, but I know several folks who have and a) kittens grow out of it and b) it's really pretty harmless, especially if Violet is the only cat--after all it came from her. smile
[notify]

Violet

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 7:09am PST 
Thanks! I mean, that's what I was figuring, too - it sounds like she's being a kooky kitten! She's an "Only Child", and she's really been settling in well, so I just wasn't sure where she got that from. But honestly, if you could have seen this clump, I even had to laugh! I said, "Sweetie, did you think this was Black Mouse?" Then I had to find the *actual* "Black Mouse" - he was on the other side of the apartment, under the bed!

Unfortunately, we don't live in the quietest building (hopefully we'll be moving in the spring or summer of this coming year), and she notices all the noise. She doesn't get overly freaked out, but she notices - I have a really noisy upstairs neighbor, and when the stomping starts overhead, she'll just look up at the ceiling with this questioning look on her face. So my assumption is that when the workmen were in the building, they probably created more noise than she's used to. Plus, there's construction going on right outside our building. So when she seemed a little extra "bananas" last night, I wasn't surprised. Hopefully she'll have a quieter day today - I plan on some good play time with her after dinner, and some cuddling before bed, which she always seems to like!
[notify]

Trek

Monster of- Mayhem

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 11:42am PST 
If you find the noise is increasing her stress level, you might think about investing in a couple of Feliway diffusers. They let out pheromones that are similar to what a mother cat would emit and can be a huge help with all sorts of anxiety issues.
[notify]

Violet

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 12:20pm PST 
I didn't even know those existed, thank you! It might not be a bad idea at that. Because quite simply, I live alone, and I work during the day, so I have no idea how much the noise does or doesn't stress her out. When I'm home with her, and it's noisy, she doesn't seem to get upset, mind you. But like I said, she's curious. She'll hear the thumping and such up above us, and she'll just sit on my lap and stare up at the ceiling. She's noticing it - not sure how much it's upsetting her though. But I do like the idea of that diffuser - I don't think it can hurt, you know? Thanks very much again!
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Fri Oct 25, '13 6:09pm PST 
Something else you can do--start having a radio go off to play for a few hours a dy when you aren't home, raise the volume a teeny bit daily. Drop things on purpose, when sheis looking but isn't too close, work your way closer. It's VERY quiet here in a single home with just us kitties and meowma so she makes sure to schedule/make some noise to make sure all kitties develop the bold, happy, loving burmese personality and don't be scaredies!
[notify]

Violet

Purred: Sat Oct 26, '13 5:20am PST 
Ohhh, I think my upstairs neighbors have that covered, LOL! Thanks very much!

Lisa & Violet
[notify]

Violet

Purred: Fri Nov 1, '13 5:12pm PST 
Hi, again everyone! I'm posting again to sort of re-ask my first question. See, Violet's still doing it - after she goes, she'll flip a little piece of poop or clump of pee outside the litterbox. Other than that, she's using it normally. I know it's not that big of a deal and that she's just being a kitten. I'm sure she'll probably grow out of it, but I'd rather she didn't do it, LOL!

I don't want to tell her "no", because I don't want her to associate "no" with the litterbox. I don't want her to think that it's a place she shouldn't use, so I just don't say anything to her about it. About other things I'm trying to train her on, she'll get a "no" or a "good girl!" But I'm keeping my mouth shut about this, LOL!

I did get the Feliway diffuser, and I scoop the litterbox as soon as she goes, or as soon as I get home/wake up, but she's pretty much acting normal. She's really a good girl - I'd just like to break her of her "flipping something out of her litterbox" habit.

Thanks!

Edited by author Fri Nov 1, '13 5:25pm PST

[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Fri Nov 1, '13 6:34pm PST 
Get a big plastic storage box with sides over 12" tall. also make sure at least 20" long...cut out a 'door' about 7-8 inches wide. (D oGet rid ot the top)When she flings , it will stay inside. Cheaper than a product labeled "litter box" by miles and unless she can aim really well whatever she flings will stay in.
[notify]

Bodrouex

all you need is- love

Purred: Fri Nov 1, '13 6:37pm PST 
I hate admitting my sister is right, but yes, big, TALL containers are better. The "Jumbo" litter boxes are 'just adequate' for even a medium sized kitty in my mind , things like storage bins or BEST YET mortar mix tubs or wallpaper past tubs from home improvement stores are far better and inexpensive to boot.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2