GO!

How do I know my kitten is eating enough?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Aida

Purred: Tue Oct 22, '13 7:10am PST 
Hi everyone. I recently adopted my 9 week old Calico kitten from our local Animal Services shelter. She is super sweet, very playful and extremely loveable. While I have been a cat owner before, this is my first time caring for a kitten. I'm paranoid that she isn't eating enough. I have kept her on the same food the shelter was feeding her (they gave it to me). Its Science Diet Dry Food for Kittens. They recommended I feed her wet food twice a day for the next few weeks so I purchased Science Diet Wet Food for Kittens. I've had her in my home since Sunday and she hasn't even eaten 1/3 cup of dry food. I've been feeding her half a small can of wet food twice a day and she eats that up fairly quickly. Is this enough?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Oct 22, '13 5:02pm PST 
Twice a day meals isn't enough for a growing kitten shrug Are you feeding the 5 oz cans? You can split that into about 3 or 4 meals a day. A 3 oz can is like a single meal and not worh buying, IMO. You can get more for the moeny by buing larger sized cans. And you don't necessarily need to feed a kitten formula. You can leave the canned food out all day or use a programmable timed feeder to provide mini meals.

Watch your kitten to see how much she eats at one time. If there's food leftover and she won't finish it within half an hour or so, decrease the amount of food.

If your kitten isn't eating the dry food, she's really smart smile Dry food is horrible for cats shock You can read all the reasons why at Catinf.org

Science Diet isn't the greatest brand shrug A lot of fillers and junk quality iingredients confused Continue feeding for now and in the meantime look into better quality foods. There are lots of recents threads in the Food and Nutrition forum on suggested canned food brands to feed smile
[notify]

Aida

Purred: Wed Oct 23, '13 7:57am PST 
I have the 3 oz cans. I've been giving her half in the morning and half in the evening. She usually eats it all in one sitting. I leave dry food out all day long. She has started eating it more often. I don't plan on keeping her on Science Diet. The shelter recommended I keep her on it for now because thats what they fed her, but I will definitely look into other brands!

Thanks for your help!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Oct 23, '13 8:23am PST 
Correcting the link in my previous post:

http://www.catinfo.org
[notify]