GO!

My kitten gave me a hickey!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Gemma

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 8:13am PST 
So I have a 6 week old kitten and she has this habit where she climbs on top of my chest, buries her head in my bra and starts to suck on my skin. I don`t know if she think I have milk or something but it becomes very annoying and she often leaves little hickys on me. Whenever I pick her up and say no, she meows and jumps right back on. And the weird thing is she only does it when no one is around. I had to video it to show people because they didn`t believe me.

Anyway what is this behavior? Will she grow out of it?
[notify]

Howie

Me, Me, Me!

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 1:37pm PST 
AT 6 weeks your kitten should still be with her momma. Since she's so young, she wasn't properly weaned. She sees you as momma, so she's suckling on you. My Howie was found as a teeny kitten on the streets, and used to suckle on my ear until he was about a year old. Don't enforce the behavior, but don't get mad if she does it, she doesn't know any better.

Talk to your vet about her dietary needs, she may need to be on some kitten milk replacement if she's really pushing to suckle.
[notify]

Violet

Just a beautiful- flower named- Violet!

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 7:21pm PST 
A friend of mine found a stray kitten who did that - she was just the teensiest thing, and she used to suck on my friend's arm. I agree, check with a vet to see what's best nutritionally for her right now since she's so little. Good luck!
[notify]